install win XP home

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
August 24, 2005 12:17:01 AM

I have a new custom built computer that has n Asus P5LD2 mother board. In
order to use all of the hard drive and optical drives available one has to
load the operating system with only one hard drive and one CD/ROM (optical
drive). Then after that is accomplished, you can download some special IDE
drivers from the CD disk that came with the MB and THEN, you can use other
connection ports that enable using several HD's and other optical drives.
crazy huh ? By the way, this technical advice comes directly from Asus
technical Rep's.

My question is this: once I load the XP operating system with only the bare
necessary HD and CD drive and then activate XP, and load the necessary MB
drivers, as soon as I add other hardware devices, XP will most probably see
that the whole system has changed and will require another activation, right
??? Is there any way to get around this problem of not having to activate XP
more than just the initial requirement ??

Thanks for any help
Redwagon.....

More about : install win home

August 24, 2005 12:18:34 PM

"REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a new custom built computer that has n Asus P5LD2 mother board. In
> order to use all of the hard drive and optical drives available one has to
> load the operating system with only one hard drive and one CD/ROM (optical
> drive).

Not so, this simply prevent unexpected drive letter assigning

Then after that is accomplished, you can download some special IDE
> drivers from the CD disk that came with the MB and THEN, you can use other
> connection ports that enable using several HD's and other optical drives.
> crazy huh ? By the way, this technical advice comes directly from Asus
> technical Rep's.

Its allways been the case that you need to install mobo chipset drivers, and
other hw drivers
PS you download from the internet, and install from cd - this isnt being
picky but useing the term 'download' in the wrong context can cause
cofussion.

> My question is this: once I load the XP operating system with only the
bare
> necessary HD and CD drive and then activate XP, and load the necessary MB
> drivers, as soon as I add other hardware devices, XP will most probably
see
> that the whole system has changed and will require another activation,
right
> ??? Is there any way to get around this problem of not having to activate
XP
> more than just the initial requirement ??

You should install all hw/drivers before activation
Once activated you need to use winupdate.
Do NOT use winupdate for hw drivers, use manu.web sites only

> Thanks for any help
> Redwagon.....

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:18:35 PM

Thanks guys for the information. DL: Check out the Asus P5LD2 MB manual and
you will see what I mean by only being able to use one connection port on the
MB until IDE drivers from the MB CD are installed, and you can't do that
until XP is installed.

Thanks Jerry for the information about not having to activate XP right after
you install it. If I have 30 days to get that done I will have no problems.
Once all the IDE drivers are installed and my other hardware is connected and
installed, it will be easy then to activate.

Thanks again for the replies
Redwagon....

"DL" wrote:

> "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a new custom built computer that has n Asus P5LD2 mother board. In
> > order to use all of the hard drive and optical drives available one has to
> > load the operating system with only one hard drive and one CD/ROM (optical
> > drive).
>
> Not so, this simply prevent unexpected drive letter assigning
>
> Then after that is accomplished, you can download some special IDE
> > drivers from the CD disk that came with the MB and THEN, you can use other
> > connection ports that enable using several HD's and other optical drives.
> > crazy huh ? By the way, this technical advice comes directly from Asus
> > technical Rep's.
>
> Its allways been the case that you need to install mobo chipset drivers, and
> other hw drivers
> PS you download from the internet, and install from cd - this isnt being
> picky but useing the term 'download' in the wrong context can cause
> cofussion.
>

> > My question is this: once I load the XP operating system with only the
> bare
> > necessary HD and CD drive and then activate XP, and load the necessary MB
> > drivers, as soon as I add other hardware devices, XP will most probably
> see
> > that the whole system has changed and will require another activation,
> right
> > ??? Is there any way to get around this problem of not having to activate
> XP
> > more than just the initial requirement ??
>
> You should install all hw/drivers before activation
> Once activated you need to use winupdate.
> Do NOT use winupdate for hw drivers, use manu.web sites only
>

> > Thanks for any help
> > Redwagon.....

Related resources
August 24, 2005 9:47:24 PM

Well I've just reread the P5LD2 delux manual & can find no such reference
but perhaps I'm missing something

> Thanks guys for the information. DL: Check out the Asus P5LD2 MB manual
and
> you will see what I mean by only being able to use one connection port on
the
> MB until IDE drivers from the MB CD are installed, and you can't do that
> until XP is installed.
>
> Thanks Jerry for the information about not having to activate XP right
after
> you install it. If I have 30 days to get that done I will have no
problems.
> Once all the IDE drivers are installed and my other hardware is connected
and
> installed, it will be easy then to activate.
>
> Thanks again for the replies
> Redwagon....
>

> "DL" wrote:
>

> > "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a new custom built computer that has n Asus P5LD2 mother board.
In
> > > order to use all of the hard drive and optical drives available one
has to
> > > load the operating system with only one hard drive and one CD/ROM
(optical
> > > drive).
> >
> > Not so, this simply prevent unexpected drive letter assigning
> >
> > Then after that is accomplished, you can download some special IDE
> > > drivers from the CD disk that came with the MB and THEN, you can use
other
> > > connection ports that enable using several HD's and other optical
drives.
> > > crazy huh ? By the way, this technical advice comes directly from Asus
> > > technical Rep's.
> >
> > Its allways been the case that you need to install mobo chipset drivers,
and
> > other hw drivers
> > PS you download from the internet, and install from cd - this isnt being
> > picky but useing the term 'download' in the wrong context can cause
> > cofussion.
> >

> > > My question is this: once I load the XP operating system with only the
> > bare
> > > necessary HD and CD drive and then activate XP, and load the necessary
MB
> > > drivers, as soon as I add other hardware devices, XP will most
probably
> > see
> > > that the whole system has changed and will require another activation,
> > right
> > > ??? Is there any way to get around this problem of not having to
activate
> > XP
> > > more than just the initial requirement ??
> >
> > You should install all hw/drivers before activation
> > Once activated you need to use winupdate.
> > Do NOT use winupdate for hw drivers, use manu.web sites only
> >

> > > Thanks for any help
> > > Redwagon.....

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:38:22 PM

Hi DL:

To start with I have the Asus P5LD2 MB and it's not the "Deluxe" version.
That could possibly be the difference. I am looking at my manual that came
with the MB and on Page 2-25 (Section 2.7.2 Internal Connectors) and in Part
2 on that page and at the very bottom of the page it reads " Make sure that
you install the ITE 8211 IDE Driver from the support CD before using the IDE
device attached to any of these connectors. See Chapter 5 for details" This
paragraph is referring to a picture diagram of the two Primary & Secondary
EIDE (RED) ports on the motherboard.

On the following page (Part 3, ICH7R Primary IDE connector (40-1 pin
PRI_IDE) you will observe what it says there that you can only hook up the
ribbon cable to two devices. So being that, I can only connect my primary
120GB HD and a CD drive that I can use to install my XP,m until I can install
the specified driver so I can use the other two MB IDE connectors.

I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative DL, but I even called and
talked to two separate Asus Technical rep's and they advised me of the same.
In my original questiuon for this post I was just trying to see if someone
had a work around for this particular problem. And I think Jerry gave me that
when he said that I could wait for up to 30 days before I had to "activate"
XP. That will give me plenty of time to install XP and the install the
required drivers so I can re-arrange all my cables and install the rest of my
hardware (two HD's, a CD/RW drive, a DVD/RW drive and get them all installed
like I want on the other two (RED) ports available on the MB.

Hope that make since DL. I'll get back on this post and let you know how
everything worked out soon as I finish. By the way, I am NOT using Serial ATA
HD's in any kind of Raid array, which would change the entire situation.

Cheers
Redwagon...

"DL" wrote:

> Well I've just reread the P5LD2 delux manual & can find no such reference
> but perhaps I'm missing something
>
> "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks guys for the information. DL: Check out the Asus P5LD2 MB manual
> and
> > you will see what I mean by only being able to use one connection port on
> the
> > MB until IDE drivers from the MB CD are installed, and you can't do that
> > until XP is installed.
> >
> > Thanks Jerry for the information about not having to activate XP right
> after
> > you install it. If I have 30 days to get that done I will have no
> problems.
> > Once all the IDE drivers are installed and my other hardware is connected
> and
> > installed, it will be easy then to activate.
> >
> > Thanks again for the replies
> > Redwagon....
> >

> > "DL" wrote:
> >

> > > "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In
> has to
> (optical
> > >
> > > Not so, this simply prevent unexpected drive letter assigning
> > >
> > > Then after that is accomplished, you can download some special IDE
> other
> drives.
> > >
> > > Its allways been the case that you need to install mobo chipset drivers,
> and
> > > other hw drivers
> > > PS you download from the internet, and install from cd - this isnt being
> > > picky but useing the term 'download' in the wrong context can cause
> > > cofussion.

> > > bare
> MB
> probably
> > > see
> > > right
> activate
> > > XP
> > >
> > > You should install all hw/drivers before activation
> > > Once activated you need to use winupdate.
> > > Do NOT use winupdate for hw drivers, use manu.web sites only

August 26, 2005 12:22:44 AM

No worries,
This must be particular to your version, its not the same for the delux mobo

!