I’m planning to buy a new laptop that will primarily be used for watching movies etc, though I’d also like to play the occasional game. My main concern is that typical gaming laptops are beasts, desktop replacement really, whereas I’m looking for something small and comparatively light.
I don’t play the latest games, but I’d like it to play a Crysis-type game at ok settings, and certainly BF2 / W3 at full settings. Not sure if this sort of laptop exists, but any suggestions are much appreciated! The specs I would like are:
- maximum £1400 / US$ 2100
- ideally no more than 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) though I can stretch to 2.0 kg (4.4 lbs)
- 12.1” or 13.3” hi-res screen, non-glossy
- dedicated GPU which can play games listed above at native res
- HDMI out
- Intel dual-core
- integrated webcam
- optical drive, great if it’s Blu-Ray.
- minimum 200Gb drive, great if I can get a SSD for the price but I doubt it
- available in Europe (Sweden)
I’ve already looked at the Alienware M11x but it lacks an optical drive, is very ugly (personal opinion of course…) and has a too much wasted space around the screen, as well as the Asus UL30Vt which again lacks and optical drive. Any other suggestions? Surely I’m not the only one who wants a good laptop which can also be carried comfortably? Thanks!
Falcon Northwest has something they call an I/0 laptop. They start in the low $1300 range but you can customize them with more memory, SSD HD, etc. They use the Core 2 Solo chips with the Intel GMA4500MDH GPU, not sure that is enough juice to do what you want it too. They are designed to be light weight and portable.