Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Too long to browse my computer

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:45:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When I want to browse files on my computer, it takes long time.
If I open explorer by right clicking on the start button, or even open My
Computer to browse files on my hard drive, it takes forever, like two
minutes and more to open.

Any idea ?

More about : long browse computer

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:45:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When was the last time you:

Ran a full antivirus scan with updated signatures?
Defragged the hard drive(s)?
Ran an antispyware scan?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
news:o dwmF5FqFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> When I want to browse files on my computer, it takes long time.
> If I open explorer by right clicking on the start button, or even open My
> Computer to browse files on my hard drive, it takes forever, like two
> minutes and more to open.
>
> Any idea ?
>
August 24, 2005 4:32:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Martin,

Without knowing more, run line 157:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm


"Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
news:o dwmF5FqFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> When I want to browse files on my computer, it takes long time.
> If I open explorer by right clicking on the start button, or even open My
> Computer to browse files on my hard drive, it takes forever, like two
> minutes and more to open.
>
> Any idea ?
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:48:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I did all this today before posting.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: ui4r%23tGqFHA.2816@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> When was the last time you:
>
> Ran a full antivirus scan with updated signatures?
> Defragged the hard drive(s)?
> Ran an antispyware scan?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
>
>
> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
> news:o dwmF5FqFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> When I want to browse files on my computer, it takes long time.
>> If I open explorer by right clicking on the start button, or even open My
>> Computer to browse files on my hard drive, it takes forever, like two
>> minutes and more to open.
>>
>> Any idea ?
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:17:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Martin,
Maybe try this approach if nothing else works.
Boot to safe mode to see how it functions there (Learn how to boot to safe
mode by using help and support. Type safe mode for your search).

If it functions ok in safe mode try the following article on how to perform
a clean boot in Windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;310353

If it does not function ok could possibly be the core OS thats responsible
or a piece of hardware that presents itself in My Computer in some fashion.


"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Without knowing more, run line 157:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
>
>
> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
> news:o dwmF5FqFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > When I want to browse files on my computer, it takes long time.
> > If I open explorer by right clicking on the start button, or even open My
> > Computer to browse files on my hard drive, it takes forever, like two
> > minutes and more to open.
> >
> > Any idea ?
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:58:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Had similar problem with windows explorer when I frst opened it to browse my
system from a cold boot. Thereafter, there was no such delay until a did a
cold boot again.
Tried all software tweaks, cleaning etc, nothing worked.
Source was found to be a scsi tape drive. The tape drive worked fine
incidentally, as did the scsi hard disk and cdrom. I removed the tape
drive, and the long delay went away.
Found another delay in windows explorer's browse PC contents. When I lit
off a Firewire hard drive, connected properly and was immediately visible in
windows. Saved files to it. Then used the safe disconnect for it, turned
off the Firewire hard drive. Thereafter, if I browsed the contents of the
PC, it was met with a long delay again.

"Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
news:o dwmF5FqFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> When I want to browse files on my computer, it takes long time.
> If I open explorer by right clicking on the start button, or even open My
> Computer to browse files on my hard drive, it takes forever, like two
> minutes and more to open.
>
> Any idea ?
>
>
August 24, 2005 1:47:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

How much RAM do you have? My roommates's PC shipped with 256 MB, he thought
that was more than enough for XP. Maybe it's because we kept two accounts
logged in at the same time, but browsing the directory was rather tedious.
Adding 512 MB more of RAM eliminated the problem.
!