Difference between Slot one and socket 370

Moose

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First, let me tell you, I don't know much about computer hardware, but I'm learning (about, what I don't know) fast.
Anyway, I've decided to up grade my PC. I have Dell 420 work station and I can max it out with dual Pentium III 1GHz processors. Right now I have a single Pentium III 667 MHz processor.
After looking at Pentium III 1GHz processors on the net, I see a lot of (socket 370) processors for sale under $100. But now I found out from Dell that I need a (Slot One) Pentium III 1GHz processor, and they are very expensive ( the cheapest I've seen is $280, new), and on top of that Dell tells me I need a matched set if I want to run two of them together.
Question, what is the difference between a "socket 370" and a "slot one"? And is there a less expensive way to get a matched set of "slot one Pentium III 1GHz processors" possibly buy them used? There are many places that sell the socket 370 matched sets, but I'm having a hard time finding the "slot one variety", and $280 is to much. What should I do? BTW, the upgrade is for photoshop.
Thanks for any help.

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
a cheaper way? sorry, buy a new motherboard and cpu, an athlon xp 2400 would blitz dual p3 1ghz,

sockets and slots are completely different, as far as i know there is no way to adapt them to be interchangeable, even if there was it would still be more expensive than getting a new motherboard and athlon xp 2400.

good luck

Moose

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If there was a inexpensive way ( used or recycled parts) to bring down the price, up grading may Dell 420 wouldn't be so bad. But $280 for a single slot one Pentium III 1GHz processor, is to much. So I guess, that is may question.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
You might wait another 2 or 3 years they might show up in the used parts dept but I find that everyone wants to make a $$$.

They still want $50(cdn) for a good Slot 1 motherboard. You can buy a good new (Slot A or Socket 478) one for $100. They even ask $25(cdn) for a 4GB disk drive when u can get 10x as much for less than a 4x of the cost and the drive is new.

Dual processors are not likely to help you all that much.
Buy a new rig or live with what you have for another year or two. Build the next machine yourself.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 07/30/03 07:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
p3s are disproportionally expensive, you could get a new motherboard, athlon xp2400 512mb ddr ram all for £150 ($250??), stick it in with your existing harddisk etc., all for less than $280, that would be by far the cheapest way unless you can find the pIII' your after for a lot less money, which i doubt.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ok here goes...in the early days all pII's used slot 1 format or secc/secc2 (single edge contact cartrige) intel cairied this on with pII based celerons and early pIII's...as time moved on celerons switched to socket 370 format...at first it was only celerons that used socket 370 or fcpga (flip chip pin grid arry)...the diffrence btween secc and fcpga is that with fcpga (socket 370) the chip is mounted directly on the mobo where as with secc (slot 1) the chip is mounted in a little daughterboard cartrifge that plugs into the board just like a graphics card. As time moved on intel started switching coppermine core pIII's to socket 370...but purposly changed certain pin arrangments so that they would not be backwards compatable with older socket 370 celeron boards (very unnecissary thing to do...was only done so people have to buy a new mobo)...still latter with the introduction of tualatin core pIIIs certain pins were changed again so that more voltages could be set for the new cpus and also so that people would have to upgrade their motherboards :frown:

However you are in fact a lucky one...you have the universal platform...you can run any socket 370 or secc2 cpu...as long as you have support for 133mhz fsb (and you do cause you are using a 133mhz fsb cpu currently) you also need a slocket/sloket adapter...look on ebay

i would recomend the adapter made by upgradeware as it will allow you to use any fcpga cpu...although clerons cannot be used in multiprocessing arrangements...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Yep if he could do it with a celeron 1300 or 1400 that would be a decent upgrade at a reasonable price.

The loving are the daring!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i gotta do a little research...but i beleive that many slockets allowed the use of celerons in dual processing arrangments...they had a jumper that you would set...i gotta look it up...if this is the case get 2 celeron 1.0a-1.4ghz any you will have a very fast system! all total for less than lets see...100bux for both cpus!

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
<A HREF="http://thetechnozone.com/pcbuyersguide/hardware/CPUs/Slotkets.html" target="_new">SLOKETS!</A>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Slot-T I think
<A HREF="http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slott/slott.htm" target="_new">http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slott/slott.htm</A>

Though I'm not sure about dual CPU support. Isn't that something they also disable when they make a Celeron?
Has something about
Dual Processor support (Pentium-III-S)
Not sure if that would include Celerons though

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 07/30/03 08:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
in one of my posts i said that indeed intel did remove dual cpu support...but two pentium-s's would provide a massive performance increase....512kb of cache baby :cool:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
PIII u said:
gotta do a little research...but i beleive that many slockets allowed the use of celerons in dual processing arrangments...they had a jumper that you would set...i gotta look it up...if this is the case get 2 celeron
Now, I said, or meant to say: I don't think the slot-t's or slotkets will allow you to convert the Celerons into a dual processor. Ok, I'm not sure.... so how do you read what they have written?

Has anybody tried this?

============
Would also need to determine the Mobo and if it is supported or works.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 07/30/03 08:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I have yet to find a slocket adapter that both converts to tualatin support AND gives you celeron support...oh well...2 1.2ghz pIII-s's will be fine...unless crashman knows of a solution i think you need to stick with a real pIII...the only solution that i can think of is getting a normal sloket that supports celerons and pIII coppermines in SMP...and moding it to support the tualatin...you need to insolate 3 pins and short out two others...if you are iterested in this solution...post back and i will explain but i doubt you are...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i know i have been there many times...it has celeron support but NOT in smp...there is a big diffrence...some slokets would support celerons in smp...others would not...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That MaximumGoat guy lied to you. Socket 370 to Slot 1 converters have been on the market ever since Socket 370 has been on the market. Most people call these "Slotkets".

Various brands have existed, the earliest ones only supporting the earliest Celerons, the latest ones supporting ALL socket 370 processors.

You could put dual Tualatin PIII 1400's on your board and have more power than some NEW systems! But those processors are expensive at around $150 each. For a single CPU solution, you'd probably be best off with a Tualatin Celeron 1100, overclocked to 1466MHz, on an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter. This adapter has everything you need for overclocking that processor to a 133MHz bus, adjustable bus speed detection and adjustable voltage detection. The adapter cost $20 and the CPU cost $40.

Of course you could buy two Tualatin PIII-S processors, but the expense is great, at least $300 for the two processors with two adapters. You can check eBay as some people there are selling them as kits, but be carefull about who you buy from.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The ONLY celerons that could be reworked to support SMP were the old Mendicino core processors, which topped at 533MHz. No vote of confidence there!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I forgot the link. <A HREF="http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slott/slott.htm" target="_new">This Adapter</A> will allow you to run either dual PIII's or a single PIII or Celeron, and has the needed settings to overclock a single Celeron to give performance similar to that of a single PIII.

Two PIII 1400's would be best for performance. As far as I know, all 1400's are of the -S variety, which means they have 512k cache (instead of 256k) and support dual processor operation.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ok crash...glad you could clarify my blunders...

Is the only diffrence between the tualatin pIII (non s) and the tualatin celeron the bus speed...or has intel neutered the cache to only be 4 way or something like that...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know they added 1 cycle of latency to the cache, but this seems to only give a small drop in performance.

Moose

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks to all of you that replayed to my post. The slot-t adapter will work with my Intel, 840 chipset, 133 MHz system bus, on my Dell 420 work station. One of you mentioned that a Pentium III 1.4 GIG CPU can be had for $150.00, but the cheapest I can find one for is $190.00. Where can I find one for $150.00?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ebay...buying one new is just too expensive...

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
"That MaximumGoat guy lied to you" read "as far as i know" i.e. not given as fact, anyway i bet it would still be cheaper to buy new mobo cpu and ram than getting a p3 and adapter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're too newbish or inexperienced to knows about slot adapters, which have existed ever since the introduction of Slockt 370, you shoulcn't have commented. You don't see me posting about how to solve network problems, do you? My ecxperience there is limitted and I usually know my limitations.