Catalyst Control Center

Hi, I am new here and although am familiar with computers to a degree, this has me confused.
I have a fairly new (purchased this year) HP desktop and I had it crash on me yesterday morning, telling me a critical error had occured. At first I thought it had been infected with a virus, but now I am finding it has to do with the catalyst control center host that has stopped working.
I know a lot of you are very up on the IT part, but I am not so in laymans terms, could you advise me how to correct this without a lot of professional terms and as little cost as possible?
This is my work computer so I need some help !!!
Thanks so much in advance.
8 answers Last reply
More about catalyst control center
  1. I would just delete the drivers and control center and then reinstall. I woud downlod the files first to your desktiop and then delete and empty the recycle bin before installing so that Windows doesn't grab those files.
  2. inzone said:
    I would just delete the drivers and control center and then reinstall. I woud downlod the files first to your desktiop and then delete and empty the recycle bin before installing so that Windows doesn't grab those files.

And what exactly would those drivers be under? I have looked in the control panel to see if I could see them but I dont. If I reinstall, how and where do I find what I need and how do I go about it. I am basically a novice on reinstallments, so thanks so much for the info so far, but could you elaborate?
  3. If the error is with Catalyst Control Center or its drivers, then all you have to do is.......

(assuming your using Win 7 )

1. Click Start Button/Circle
    2. Right Click "My Computer"
    3. Select "Manage" form the drop down list
    4. On the left side of the window, click "Device Manager"
    5. Find you Video Card in the list, should be under "Display Adapters"
    6. Right Click your video card, select "properties"
    7. From this window you can....
    a. rollback the driver (might help if they were updated recently)
    b. Update the Driver
    c. view driver info (should tell you what driver you have, the latest is 12.10, i d/led it last night)

If your running XP the steps are the same you just start from the desktop with step 2.
  4. go to:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
    to find the CCC and drivers to delete.
    btw, if you first open the control panel and see "sort by catagory" switch the view to large icons and look for "programs and features"

to find your dsrivers and downlaod them to your desktop got ot:
    http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx
  5. MotherFerJones said:
    If the error is with Catalyst Control Center or its drivers, then all you have to do is.......

(assuming your using Win 7 )

1. Click Start Button/Circle
    2. Right Click "My Computer"
    3. Select "Manage" form the drop down list
    4. On the left side of the window, click "Device Manager"
    5. Find you Video Card in the list, should be under "Display Adapters"
    6. Right Click your video card, select "properties"
    7. From this window you can....
    a. rollback the driver (might help if they were updated recently)
    b. Update the Driver
    c. view driver info (should tell you what driver you have, the latest is 12.10, i d/led it last night)

If your running XP the steps are the same you just start from the desktop with step 2.

I did what you instructed but the option for rollback wasnt available to use and it said that I am updated to the latest version which from what I could see was 8.892 1.1000. That doesnt sound like the one that you are talking about, so not sure what to do at this point, as right now the computer is slower then molasses.
    I am running windows 7, 64 bit.
  6. Anonymous said:
    go to:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
    to find the CCC and drivers to delete.
    btw, if you first open the control panel and see "sort by catagory" switch the view to large icons and look for "programs and features"

to find your dsrivers and downlaod them to your desktop got ot:
    http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

To be honest I am really leary of deleting anything when I am a novice. I hope I can get this figured out without doing anything that drastic LOL.
  7. LRJC said:
    To be honest I am really leary of deleting anything when I am a novice. I hope I can get this figured out without doing anything that drastic LOL.

nothing bad can happen (well at least nothing that can't be fixed).

seriously, if you can't uninstall and reinstall drivers, which you will be doing quite a bit, then may be consider a "preferred customer account" with geek squad?

:lol: you'll be fine . .
  8. As you can see by going to the device manager there was an option to update or rollback drivers so deleting drivers will not be an issue and is one of the most common things that you will be doing with the proper maintenence of your computer. For Windows to communicate with a piece of hardware it needs the drivers to do that and the hardware makers will always have the drivers needed for that. It's just a matter of going to tat site and downloading them. Windows has a selection of generic drivers that it can use to communicate when the actual drivers are not installed , these generic drivers do not activate all the features and performance of a piece of hardware but it's enough to get it to be useful.
    So deleteing a driver is not a big deal and will be done by you many , many times over the course of owning the computer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Catalyst Windows 7