  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 24, 2005 2:18:40 AM

Hi all,

I was working on a clients computer and encountered a new (to me) problem.
Tasks are scheduled at startup and at a specific time once a week. The
problem is that within the last few weeks the task scheduler has been
presenting an error message "Some tasks did not execute at their scheduled
times because the Task Scheduler service was not running." When I check the
scheduled tasks the status says that the task did not run because a password
was not entered. This is a home computer used by only one person and has no
password on it. I removed a trojan horse and a few adware programs and
suspect that the trojan caused this problem. Any ideas on how to remove the
need for a password on the scheduled tasks without having to create a user
password to log on to the computer?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

More about : scheduled task password

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:09:04 AM

I have this problem when using SyncBackSE to backup data. The solution is to
put a password on the system. Then use the command - control userpasswords2
- in the Run dialog - and uncheck the box that requires users to enter a
password to use the system.

"Brian Scholfield" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was working on a clients computer and encountered a new (to me) problem.
> Tasks are scheduled at startup and at a specific time once a week. The
> problem is that within the last few weeks the task scheduler has been
> presenting an error message "Some tasks did not execute at their scheduled
> times because the Task Scheduler service was not running." When I check the
> scheduled tasks the status says that the task did not run because a password
> was not entered. This is a home computer used by only one person and has no
> password on it. I removed a trojan horse and a few adware programs and
> suspect that the trojan caused this problem. Any ideas on how to remove the
> need for a password on the scheduled tasks without having to create a user
> password to log on to the computer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Brian

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:59:16 AM

You may be able to do a password per task, but I think the user needs one to
make it work.
I haven't had a non-password machine in a LONG time!

--
For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
"Brian Scholfield" <NoBody@home.com> wrote in message
news:o AGAMtGqFHA.3204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> I was working on a clients computer and encountered a new (to me) problem.
> Tasks are scheduled at startup and at a specific time once a week. The
> problem is that within the last few weeks the task scheduler has been
> presenting an error message "Some tasks did not execute at their scheduled
> times because the Task Scheduler service was not running." When I check
> the scheduled tasks the status says that the task did not run because a
> password was not entered. This is a home computer used by only one person
> and has no password on it. I removed a trojan horse and a few adware
> programs and suspect that the trojan caused this problem. Any ideas on
> how to remove the need for a password on the scheduled tasks without
> having to create a user password to log on to the computer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Brian

August 24, 2005 4:34:38 AM

Hi Brian,

Running Scheduled Tasks without a password:

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
This is enabled by default, disable it.

For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)

Troubleshooting the Task Scheduler
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#ts

--

All the Best,