MOVE command does not work from .BAT or .CMD script

I have a .BAT file which moves backup files from the local hard drive to a
network share. It worked fine under Win98SE, but fails under WinXP. The
command which fails is:

MOVE /Y Backup\*.* \\ServerName\ShareName\FolderName

It returns a message "Bad command or file name".

If I open a command window, navigate to the same folder, and issue the exact
same command, it works fine. Any idea why the MOVE command would not run in a
batch file? Any way to make this work properly?

"Motek Kore Guy" <MotekKoreGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a .BAT file which moves backup files from the local hard drive to a
> network share. It worked fine under Win98SE, but fails under WinXP. The
> command which fails is:
>
> MOVE /Y Backup\*.* \\ServerName\ShareName\FolderName
>
> It returns a message "Bad command or file name".
>
> If I open a command window, navigate to the same folder, and issue the
exact
> same command, it works fine. Any idea why the MOVE command would not run
in a
> batch file? Any way to make this work properly?

There is something strange about your post. "Bad command
or file name" is a DOS error message - under WinXP the
wording is different. Furthermore, "move" is an internal
command under WinXP. If you have a Command Processor
then you have "move". I suspect the problem is caused by
some other command in your batch file, not by "move".
What other commands do you have in that batch file?

I agree, it's strange. The .BAT file is like this:

@ECHO ON
C:
CD "\Data Files\Accounting Data"
COPY *.* \\ServerName\ShareName\DataBackupDirectory
MOVE Backup\*.* \\ServerName\ShareName\DataBackupDirectory\Backup

The COPY command works fine. I get the "Bad command or file name"
immediately after the MOVE command (which is obvious as I have echo on), and
nothing gets moved. I can copy the command from the window and paste it into
another command box, and it works fine. I have tried renaming the .BAT file
to .CMD, and it does the same thing.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Motek Kore Guy" <MotekKoreGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a .BAT file which moves backup files from the local hard drive to a
> > network share. It worked fine under Win98SE, but fails under WinXP. The
> > command which fails is:
> >
> > MOVE /Y Backup\*.* \\ServerName\ShareName\FolderName
> >
> > It returns a message "Bad command or file name".
> >
> > If I open a command window, navigate to the same folder, and issue the
> exact
> > same command, it works fine. Any idea why the MOVE command would not run
> in a
> > batch file? Any way to make this work properly?
>
> There is something strange about your post. "Bad command
> or file name" is a DOS error message - under WinXP the
> wording is different. Furthermore, "move" is an internal
> command under WinXP. If you have a Command Processor
> then you have "move". I suspect the problem is caused by
> some other command in your batch file, not by "move".
> What other commands do you have in that batch file?

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:33:47 -0700, "Motek Kore Guy"
<MotekKoreGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I agree, it's strange. The .BAT file is like this:
>
>@ECHO ON
>C:
>CD "\Data Files\Accounting Data"
>COPY *.* \\ServerName\ShareName\DataBackupDirectory
>MOVE Backup\*.* \\ServerName\ShareName\DataBackupDirectory\Backup
>
>The COPY command works fine. I get the "Bad command or file name"
>immediately after the MOVE command (which is obvious as I have echo on), and
>nothing gets moved. I can copy the command from the window and paste it into
>another command box, and it works fine.

I'm guessing bad line terminator between the two lines, or a
non-printing character somewhere.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:48:14 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

>I'm guessing bad line terminator between the two lines, or a
>non-printing character somewhere.

I withdraw my comment -- I think the point Pegasus bought up is the
key. "Bad command or file name" is not a CMD.EXE error message.

If you are somehow running through old DOS (COMMAND.COM), you may be
hitting a line-length limit.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Thank you, Stan, this was the hint I needed. I had all of the .BAT files,
along with shortcuts (.PIF) saved off in a folder, and restored the folder to
the XP machine. Apparently, .PIF files created in Windows 98 will work in
Windows XP, but invoke the COMMAND.COM processor rather than the CMD.EXE
processor. In Win98, it worked because MOVE was an external command, not an
internal one. I deleted the shortcut, recreated it, and now it works fine.

Thanks again!

--- Jeremy Segal

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:48:14 -0400, Stan Brown
> wrote:
>
> >I'm guessing bad line terminator between the two lines, or a
> >non-printing character somewhere.
>
> I withdraw my comment -- I think the point Pegasus bought up is the
> key. "Bad command or file name" is not a CMD.EXE error message.
>
> If you are somehow running through old DOS (COMMAND.COM), you may be
> hitting a line-length limit.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

What's even stranger is that the error message "Bad command
or file name" does not exist under WinXP! There something
wrong either with your environment or with your reporting.

> I agree, it's strange. The .BAT file is like this:
>
> @ECHO ON
> C:
> CD "\Data Files\Accounting Data"
> COPY *.* \\ServerName\ShareName\DataBackupDirectory
> MOVE Backup\*.* \\ServerName\ShareName\DataBackupDirectory\Backup
>
> The COPY command works fine. I get the "Bad command or file name"
> immediately after the MOVE command (which is obvious as I have echo on),
and
> nothing gets moved. I can copy the command from the window and paste it
into
> another command box, and it works fine. I have tried renaming the .BAT
file
> to .CMD, and it does the same thing.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "Motek Kore Guy" <MotekKoreGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > I have a .BAT file which moves backup files from the local hard drive
to a
> > > network share. It worked fine under Win98SE, but fails under WinXP.
The
> > > command which fails is:
> > >
> > > MOVE /Y Backup\*.* \\ServerName\ShareName\FolderName
> > >
> > > It returns a message "Bad command or file name".
> > >
> > > If I open a command window, navigate to the same folder, and issue the
> > exact
> > > same command, it works fine. Any idea why the MOVE command would not
run
> > in a
> > > batch file? Any way to make this work properly?
> >
> > There is something strange about your post. "Bad command
> > or file name" is a DOS error message - under WinXP the
> > wording is different. Furthermore, "move" is an internal
> > command under WinXP. If you have a Command Processor
> > then you have "move". I suspect the problem is caused by
> > some other command in your batch file, not by "move".
> > What other commands do you have in that batch file?

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:19:02 -0700, "Motek Kore Guy"
<MotekKoreGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Stan Brown" wrote:
>> I withdraw my comment -- I think the point Pegasus bought up is the
>> key. "Bad command or file name" is not a CMD.EXE error message.
>>
>> If you are somehow running through old DOS (COMMAND.COM), you may be
>> hitting a line-length limit.
>>
>Thank you, Stan, this was the hint I needed. I had all of the .BAT files,
>along with shortcuts (.PIF) saved off in a folder, and restored the folder to
>the XP machine. Apparently, .PIF files created in Windows 98 will work in
>Windows XP, but invoke the COMMAND.COM processor rather than the CMD.EXE
>processor. In Win98, it worked because MOVE was an external command, not an
>internal one. I deleted the shortcut, recreated it, and now it works fine.

I'm delighted you found the problem, but I think Pegasus deserves
the lion's share of the credit. He's the one who pointed out the
error message couldn't possibly be right -- I didn't pick up on the
COMMAND.COM issue at all till I saw his note.

Anyway, thanks for letting us all know. It's so satisfying when a
nasty mystery turns out to have a simple explanation!

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:19:02 -0700, "Motek Kore Guy"
> <MotekKoreGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >"Stan Brown" wrote:
> >> I withdraw my comment -- I think the point Pegasus bought up is the
> >> key. "Bad command or file name" is not a CMD.EXE error message.
> >>
> >> If you are somehow running through old DOS (COMMAND.COM), you may be
> >> hitting a line-length limit.
> >>
> >Thank you, Stan, this was the hint I needed. I had all of the .BAT files,
> >along with shortcuts (.PIF) saved off in a folder, and restored the
folder to
> >the XP machine. Apparently, .PIF files created in Windows 98 will work in
> >Windows XP, but invoke the COMMAND.COM processor rather than the CMD.EXE
> >processor. In Win98, it worked because MOVE was an external command, not
an
> >internal one. I deleted the shortcut, recreated it, and now it works
fine.

> I'm delighted you found the problem, but I think Pegasus deserves
> the lion's share of the credit. He's the one who pointed out the
> error message couldn't possibly be right -- I didn't pick up on the
> COMMAND.COM issue at all till I saw his note.

Maybe, but it was your post that finally nailed the culprit.