Blue screen of death (BSOD)

Hi,

I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard, Processor,
HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not always
with the same error message, the first and most common is:

DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"

Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a copy
from another PC?

I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested upgrading my
SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.

I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
which I know functions.

Please help.

Briggers

--
Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
5 answers Last reply

    "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard, Processor,
    > HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not
    > always
    > with the same error message, the first and most common is:
    >
    > DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >
    > The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"
    >
    > Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a
    > copy
    > from another PC?
    >
    > I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested upgrading
    > my
    > SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.
    >
    > I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
    > which I know functions.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Briggers
    >

    > --
    > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    Did you do a fresh install of windows after the upgrades?

    The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is related to either a driver conflict or
    bad RAM.
    In my experience, it is most often associated with mismatched or defective
    RAM modules.

    Bobby

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand column
    (D1)

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    The win32k.sys file can be associated with an infection of your system:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.nthack.html

    --

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard, Processor,
    > HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not
    > always
    > with the same error message, the first and most common is:
    >
    > DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >
    > The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"
    >
    > Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a
    > copy
    > from another PC?
    >
    > I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested upgrading
    > my
    > SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.
    >
    > I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
    > which I know functions.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Briggers
    >

    > --
    > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    Thanks for that, most helpful.

    I have subsequently received 2 further BSOD's:

    SPECIAL POOL DETECTED MEMORY CORRUPTION

    0x000000c1
    0x8a794f20
    0x8a7943ab
    0x002700dc
    0x00000023

    and

    BAD POOL HEADER

    0X00000019
    0X00000020
    0X84926000
    0X84926118
    0X0A230600

    This is screaming bad memory to me, do you agree?

    In the BIOS what is the optimum setting, write through or write back?

    Thanks

    David

    --

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand column
    > (D1)
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    >
    > The win32k.sys file can be associated with an infection of your system:
    >
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.nthack.html
    >

    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard, Processor,
    > > HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not
    > > always
    > > with the same error message, the first and most common is:
    > >
    > > DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > >
    > > The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"
    > >
    > > Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a
    > > copy
    > > from another PC?
    > >
    > > I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested upgrading
    > > my
    > > SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.
    > >
    > > I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
    > > which I know functions.
    > >
    > > Please help.
    > >
    > > Briggers
    > >

    > > --
    > > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    Hi

    You can get 'some' info. on the 0x00000019 error from here:

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=0x00000019

    Not necessarily memory - drivers can be the cause.

    The 0x000000C1 error can be found on the same page as before:

    > Thanks for that, most helpful.
    >
    > I have subsequently received 2 further BSOD's:
    >
    > SPECIAL POOL DETECTED MEMORY CORRUPTION
    >
    > 0x000000c1
    > 0x8a794f20
    > 0x8a7943ab
    > 0x002700dc
    > 0x00000023
    >
    > and
    >
    > BAD POOL HEADER
    >
    > 0X00000019
    > 0X00000020
    > 0X84926000
    > 0X84926118
    > 0X0A230600
    >
    > This is screaming bad memory to me, do you agree?
    >
    > In the BIOS what is the optimum setting, write through or write back?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David
    >
    > --
    > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand
    >> column
    >> (D1)
    >>
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    >>
    >> The win32k.sys file can be associated with an infection of your system:
    >>
    >> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.nthack.html
    >>

    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>
    >> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard,
    >> > Processor,
    >> > HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not
    >> > always
    >> > with the same error message, the first and most common is:
    >> >
    >> > DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >> >
    >> > The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"
    >> >
    >> > Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a
    >> > copy
    >> > from another PC?
    >> >
    >> > I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested
    >> > upgrading
    >> > my
    >> > SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.
    >> >
    >> > I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
    >> > which I know functions.
    >> >
    >> > Please help.
    >> >
    >> > Briggers
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    That's a really useful site, thanks for pointing, me to it.

    This is one of the results I got after runing the verifier:

    Sisidex.sys Non page pool - bytes allocated 8422768

    And

    Sisperf.sys Page pool - bytes allocated 120

    There is another file but this shows all zeros.

    8422768 bytes seems rather a lot in comparison, could this file be the
    culprit? And what do I do to put it right?

    David
    --

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > You can get 'some' info. on the 0x00000019 error from here:
    >
    > http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=0x00000019
    >
    > Not necessarily memory - drivers can be the cause.
    >
    > The 0x000000C1 error can be found on the same page as before:
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for that, most helpful.
    > >
    > > I have subsequently received 2 further BSOD's:
    > >
    > > SPECIAL POOL DETECTED MEMORY CORRUPTION
    > >
    > > 0x000000c1
    > > 0x8a794f20
    > > 0x8a7943ab
    > > 0x002700dc
    > > 0x00000023
    > >
    > > and
    > >
    > > BAD POOL HEADER
    > >
    > > 0X00000019
    > > 0X00000020
    > > 0X84926000
    > > 0X84926118
    > > 0X0A230600
    > >
    > > This is screaming bad memory to me, do you agree?
    > >
    > > In the BIOS what is the optimum setting, write through or write back?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > David
    > >
    > > --
    > > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
    > >

    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand
    > >> column
    > >> (D1)
    > >>
    > >> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    > >>
    > >> The win32k.sys file can be associated with an infection of your system:
    > >>
    > >> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.nthack.html
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS MVP Windows Shell/User