Hi,

I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard, Processor,
HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not always
with the same error message, the first and most common is:

DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"

Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a copy
from another PC?

I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested upgrading my
SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.

I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
which I know functions.

Please help.

Briggers

--
Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

"Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard, Processor,
> HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not
> always
> with the same error message, the first and most common is:
>
> DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>
> The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"
>
> Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a
> copy
> from another PC?
>
> I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested upgrading
> my
> SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.
>
> I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
> which I know functions.
>
> Please help.
>
> Briggers
>

> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

Did you do a fresh install of windows after the upgrades?

The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is related to either a driver conflict or
bad RAM.
In my experience, it is most often associated with mismatched or defective
RAM modules.

Bobby

Hi

Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand column
(D1)

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

The win32k.sys file can be associated with an infection of your system:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.nthack.html

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard, Processor,
> HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not
> always
> with the same error message, the first and most common is:
>
> DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>
> The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"
>
> Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a
> copy
> from another PC?
>
> I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested upgrading
> my
> SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.
>
> I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
> which I know functions.
>
> Please help.
>
> Briggers
>

> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

Thanks for that, most helpful.

I have subsequently received 2 further BSOD's:

SPECIAL POOL DETECTED MEMORY CORRUPTION

0x000000c1
0x8a794f20
0x8a7943ab
0x002700dc
0x00000023

and

BAD POOL HEADER

0X00000019
0X00000020
0X84926000
0X84926118
0X0A230600

This is screaming bad memory to me, do you agree?

In the BIOS what is the optimum setting, write through or write back?

Thanks

David

--

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand column
> (D1)
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> The win32k.sys file can be associated with an infection of your system:
>
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.nthack.html
>

> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard, Processor,
> > HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not
> > always
> > with the same error message, the first and most common is:
> >
> > DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> >
> > The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"
> >
> > Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a
> > copy
> > from another PC?
> >
> > I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested upgrading
> > my
> > SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.
> >
> > I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
> > which I know functions.
> >
> > Please help.
> >
> > Briggers
> >

> > --
> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

Hi

You can get 'some' info. on the 0x00000019 error from here:

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=0x00000019

Not necessarily memory - drivers can be the cause.

The 0x000000C1 error can be found on the same page as before:

> Thanks for that, most helpful.
>
> I have subsequently received 2 further BSOD's:
>
> SPECIAL POOL DETECTED MEMORY CORRUPTION
>
> 0x000000c1
> 0x8a794f20
> 0x8a7943ab
> 0x002700dc
> 0x00000023
>
> and
>
> BAD POOL HEADER
>
> 0X00000019
> 0X00000020
> 0X84926000
> 0X84926118
> 0X0A230600
>
> This is screaming bad memory to me, do you agree?
>
> In the BIOS what is the optimum setting, write through or write back?
>
> Thanks
>
> David
>
> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
>

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand
>> column
>> (D1)
>>
>> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>>
>> The win32k.sys file can be associated with an infection of your system:
>>
>> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.nthack.html
>>

>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have just upgraded all the major parts in my PC; motherboard,
>> > Processor,
>> > HD, RAM & DVD Drive. The PC is continually crashing with the BSOD, not
>> > always
>> > with the same error message, the first and most common is:
>> >
>> > DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>> >
>> > The second is a file error which refers to "win32k.sys"
>> >
>> > Are the two related? And is it possible to replace 'win32k.sys' with a
>> > copy
>> > from another PC?
>> >
>> > I have searched newsgroups for the first error and it suggested
>> > upgrading
>> > my
>> > SiS sound card drivers, which I have done - no improvement.
>> >
>> > I am now going to disable the onboard sound and install a Creative card
>> > which I know functions.
>> >
>> > Please help.
>> >
>> > Briggers
>> >

>> > --
>> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

That's a really useful site, thanks for pointing, me to it.

This is one of the results I got after runing the verifier:

Sisidex.sys Non page pool - bytes allocated 8422768

And

Sisperf.sys Page pool - bytes allocated 120

There is another file but this shows all zeros.

8422768 bytes seems rather a lot in comparison, could this file be the
culprit? And what do I do to put it right?

David