All audio has disappeared!

I downloaded some WindowsXP updates today and all the computer sound has
vanished.

One the settings page under the 'audio' it says that there are "no audio
devices".

On the 'device manager' screen there are little yellow exclamation marks
against the "C-media AC97 Audio device" and the "nVidia WDM video capture
(universal)".

Can someone help me fix this because every thing was working before!

Please help, Frank

Malke

Frank Martin wrote:

> I downloaded some WindowsXP updates today and all the computer sound
> has vanished.
>
> One the settings page under the 'audio' it says that there are "no
> audio devices".
>
> On the 'device manager' screen there are little yellow exclamation
> marks against the "C-media AC97 Audio device" and the "nVidia WDM
> video capture (universal)".
>
> Can someone help me fix this because every thing was working before!
>
> Please help, Frank

You probably installed drivers from Windows Update, which is always a
bad idea. Things to try:

1. A System Restore to before you downloaded the updates. Then when you
do the updates, choose "Custom" instead of "Express" and don't download
any drivers. Always install Security updates.

2. If you can't do a System Restore, roll back the drivers for those
devices. Get to the right place from each device's Properties in Device
Manager.

3. If that doesn't work, reinstall the drivers for those devices. Never
get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The card mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if onboard video; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the
drivers.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> Frank Martin wrote:
>
>> I downloaded some WindowsXP updates today and all the computer sound
>> has vanished.
>>
>> One the settings page under the 'audio' it says that there are "no
>> audio devices".
>>
>> On the 'device manager' screen there are little yellow exclamation
>> marks against the "C-media AC97 Audio device" and the "nVidia WDM
>> video capture (universal)".
>>
>> Can someone help me fix this because every thing was working before!
>>
>> Please help, Frank
>
> You probably installed drivers from Windows Update, which is always a
> bad idea. Things to try:
>
> 1. A System Restore to before you downloaded the updates. Then when you
> do the updates, choose "Custom" instead of "Express" and don't download
> any drivers. Always install Security updates.
>
> 2. If you can't do a System Restore, roll back the drivers for those
> devices. Get to the right place from each device's Properties in Device
> Manager.
>
> 3. If that doesn't work, reinstall the drivers for those devices. Never
> get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:
>
> 1. The card mftr.'s website; OR
> 2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if onboard video; OR
> 3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
> computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).
>
> Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the
> drivers.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks, I fixed it by rolling back to the previous driver of "C-media AC97
audio device".
That's a relief!

Malke

Frank Martin wrote:

> Thanks, I fixed it by rolling back to the previous driver of "C-media
> AC97 audio device".
> That's a relief!

I'm so glad you got it sorted. Thanks very much for taking the time to
let me know.

Malke