I read there were problems with the Dell 8400 fan making excess noise and
mine sounds like it's going to take off when running intense 3D
applications. I ran the diagnostic and the fan test failed intermitenly so I
had the fan replaced.

The fan still sounds like my PC it's going to take off in 3D apps. Anyone
had this issue and had it remedied by Dell?

Bob,
My 8400 is rather quite, but then I have the Radeon 300 which doesn't
have a fan. Perhaps you have the higher end video card which does have its
own fan. Perhaps you changed the wrong fan. Just a thought.
Paul

"Bob Rowlands" <brow1@garlic.com> wrote in message
>I read there were problems with the Dell 8400 fan making excess noise and
>mine sounds like it's going to take off when running intense 3D
>applications. I ran the diagnostic and the fan test failed intermitenly so
>I had the fan replaced.
>
> The fan still sounds like my PC it's going to take off in 3D apps. Anyone
> had this issue and had it remedied by Dell?

I have the ATI 800 128MB with a fan and I thought of that too, but when I
run the Dell fan diagnostic the CPU fan noise is the same at high RPM
without graphics.

ricardo

Bob Rowlands wrote:
> I read there were problems with the Dell 8400 fan making excess noise and
> mine sounds like it's going to take off when running intense 3D
> applications. I ran the diagnostic and the fan test failed intermitenly so I
> had the fan replaced.
>
> The fan still sounds like my PC it's going to take off in 3D apps. Anyone
> had this issue and had it remedied by Dell?
What is the name of the tool you ran to check your fan and where did you
get it?
TIA
ricardo

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:30:11 +1100, ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:

>Bob Rowlands wrote:
>> I read there were problems with the Dell 8400 fan making excess noise and
>> mine sounds like it's going to take off when running intense 3D
>> applications. I ran the diagnostic and the fan test failed intermitenly so I
>> had the fan replaced.
>>
>> The fan still sounds like my PC it's going to take off in 3D apps. Anyone
>> had this issue and had it remedied by Dell?
>What is the name of the tool you ran to check your fan and where did you
>get it?

Either F12 during boot - System Diagnostic or use your blue
rescource-cd.