Delete Drop Down Menu History From IE problem

I have been trying to delete my drop down history from Internet Explorer, but
some of the pages still appear after I have deleted them. I have gone into
the Control Panal and Internet Options, and clicked Clear History. It has
cleared about 95% of the pages, but still there are a few that seem to remain
in my drop down window. The same ones never delete. None of the pages that
remain have been saved as favorites and there is no trace of them in my
temporary internet files. For example, if I start typing out a web address
that starts with "www.y", the drop down window automatically opens and gives
me the the choice of "www.yahoo.com", even though I have deleted the history
and it's not saved as a favorite. Why does that keep happening, and how do I
delete those remaining ones? Thanks for the help.
1 answer Last reply
More about delete drop menu history problem

    Hi,
    These URLs you're seeing are in the index.dat file in the History folder.

    CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ should be able to clear the History
    and the index.dat file. Just check the appropriate boxes and run it.

    Or, Free History Eraser from
    http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm will delete the
    History folder (and the index.dat file) and a new one will be created when
    you restart.
    Or the History folder can be deleted manually:
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    Hope this helps,
    Don
    [MS MVP- IE/OE]

    "DP" <DP[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to delete my drop down history from Internet Explorer,
    but
    > some of the pages still appear after I have deleted them. I have gone
    into
    > the Control Panal and Internet Options, and clicked Clear History. It has
    > cleared about 95% of the pages, but still there are a few that seem to
    remain
    > in my drop down window. The same ones never delete. None of the pages
    that
    > remain have been saved as favorites and there is no trace of them in my
    > temporary internet files. For example, if I start typing out a web
    address
    > that starts with "www.y", the drop down window automatically opens and
    gives
    > me the the choice of "www.yahoo.com", even though I have deleted the
    history
    > and it's not saved as a favorite. Why does that keep happening, and how
    do I
    > delete those remaining ones? Thanks for the help.

Internet Explorer Windows XP