wanarp.sys causes XP SP2 reboot

August 24, 2005 5:29:03 AM

Hi all,

our company is using a desktop to link all other PC to go to the internet.
but after we install SP2 on that PC, it always reboot when we go to the
internet. After we used debug tools to indentified the problem, we found the
wanarp.sys caused it. Could anybody help us to solve the problem?

Best regards,
Jackie

More about : wanarp sys sp2 reboot

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:41:26 AM

Jackie,
That is the "MS Remote Access and Routing ARP Driver".
Which points to a networking problem most likely.

See group at microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

Here is a note on Driver Verifier. For your consideration.

A useful set of tips from Joshua Smith at MSFT:

<begin quote>
To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOL­­ATION".

<snipped>

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab