norton internet security-the death of!!!

Hello Everyone,
Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove Programs,
it did not remove it. I know from past experience that it takes more than
the add and remove programs, but after two strokes I can not remember what
to do. Thank you all in advance.
Buzz
P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will install
ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton
7 answers Last reply
More about norton internet security death

    "Buzzard" <hawk22@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
    > Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove
    > Programs, it did not remove it.

    See if this article applies:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001090510510636

    > P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will
    > install ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton

    You might be better off when using the built-in WinXP firewall instead.

    --
    d-d

    Apparently, _Detlev Dreyer_, on 24/08/05 05:05,typed:
    > "Buzzard" <hawk22@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
    >>Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove
    >>Programs, it did not remove it.
    >

    > See if this article applies:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001090510510636
    >

    >>P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will
    >>install ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton
    >

    > You might be better off when using the built-in WinXP firewall instead.

    XP firewall is sorta okay for incoming connections, but to have better
    security, logs and control a third party firewall is necessary
    (ZoneAlarm or Sygate or any other).

    Sam.

    --
    Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
    to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.

    Apparently, _Buzzard_, on 24/08/05 04:58,typed:
    > Hello Everyone,
    > Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
    > Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove Programs,
    > it did not remove it. I know from past experience that it takes more than
    > the add and remove programs, but after two strokes I can not remember what
    > to do. Thank you all in advance.
    > Buzz
    > P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will install
    > ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton

    I uninstalled Norton Antivirus (not the whole suite) a few weeks ago. I
    had to manually remove Nortons components from Add Remove Programs. Then
    I searched and deleted the keys which I assumed to be relevant to Norton
    (searched for norton, symantec etc.). IMO, Norton related products are
    a PITA to remove. I fail to understand why they don't make "clean"
    products: not only clean to install but also clean to uninstall. Why
    should a program leave remants in my registry when I really uninstall it
    and don't want to do anything with it anymore?

    Sam.

    --

    Sam <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > XP firewall is sorta okay for incoming connections, but to have better
    > security, logs and control a third party firewall is necessary
    > (ZoneAlarm or Sygate or any other).

    Nope. It's easy for malware to bypass toys like ZA.

    --
    d-d

    Sam wrote:

    > a PITA to remove. I fail to understand why they don't make "clean"
    > products: not only clean to install but also clean to uninstall. Why
    > should a program leave remants in my registry when I really uninstall it
    > and don't want to do anything with it anymore?

    Because they are primarily concerned with front end sales only.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Apparently, _Detlev Dreyer_, on 24/08/05 14:03,typed:
    > Sam <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>XP firewall is sorta okay for incoming connections, but to have better
    >>security, logs and control a third party firewall is necessary
    >>(ZoneAlarm or Sygate or any other).
    >

    > Nope. It's easy for malware to bypass toys like ZA.

    Can you explain how Windows' internal firewall is more effective than
    ZA, sygate or other such firewall software?

    Sam.

    --
    Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
    to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.

    Sam <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>> XP firewall is sorta okay for incoming connections, but to have better
    >>> security, logs and control a third party firewall is necessary
    >>> (ZoneAlarm or Sygate or any other).
    >>
    >> Nope. It's easy for malware to bypass toys like ZA.
    >>
    > Can you explain how Windows' internal firewall is more effective than
    > ZA, sygate or other such firewall software?

    Well, define "effective". If "effective" means a maximum of colorful
    windows, beeps, alerts and stupid questions confusing the user, the
    internal firewall (actually a local stateful packet filter) is not
    effective. If "effective" means doing the classic firewall's job
    reliable in the background without consuming additional ressources,
    the built-in firewall is the first choice.

    --
    d-d

Norton Internet Security Windows XP