norton internet security-the death of!!!

August 24, 2005 8:58:26 AM

Hello Everyone,
Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove Programs,
it did not remove it. I know from past experience that it takes more than
the add and remove programs, but after two strokes I can not remember what
to do. Thank you all in advance.
Buzz
P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will install
ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:05:45 PM

"Buzzard" <hawk22@comcast.net> wrote:

> Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
> Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove
> Programs, it did not remove it.

See if this article applies:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001...

> P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will
> install ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton

You might be better off when using the built-in WinXP firewall instead.

--
d-d
August 24, 2005 4:05:16 PM

Apparently, _Detlev Dreyer_, on 24/08/05 05:05,typed:
> "Buzzard" <hawk22@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
>>Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove
>>Programs, it did not remove it.
>

> See if this article applies:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001...
>

>>P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will
>>install ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton
>

> You might be better off when using the built-in WinXP firewall instead.

XP firewall is sorta okay for incoming connections, but to have better
security, logs and control a third party firewall is necessary
(ZoneAlarm or Sygate or any other).

Sam.

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.

Apparently, _Buzzard_, on 24/08/05 04:58,typed:
> Hello Everyone,
> Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
> Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove Programs,
> it did not remove it. I know from past experience that it takes more than
> the add and remove programs, but after two strokes I can not remember what
> to do. Thank you all in advance.
> Buzz
> P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will install
> ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton

I uninstalled Norton Antivirus (not the whole suite) a few weeks ago. I
had to manually remove Nortons components from Add Remove Programs. Then
I searched and deleted the keys which I assumed to be relevant to Norton
(searched for norton, symantec etc.). IMO, Norton related products are
a PITA to remove. I fail to understand why they don't make "clean"
products: not only clean to install but also clean to uninstall. Why
should a program leave remants in my registry when I really uninstall it
and don't want to do anything with it anymore?

Sam.

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:03:08 PM

Sam <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> XP firewall is sorta okay for incoming connections, but to have better
> security, logs and control a third party firewall is necessary
> (ZoneAlarm or Sygate or any other).

Nope. It's easy for malware to bypass toys like ZA.

--
d-d
Anonymous

Sam wrote:

> a PITA to remove. I fail to understand why they don't make "clean"
> products: not only clean to install but also clean to uninstall. Why
> should a program leave remants in my registry when I really uninstall it
> and don't want to do anything with it anymore?

Because they are primarily concerned with front end sales only.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
August 25, 2005 5:47:29 AM

Apparently, _Detlev Dreyer_, on 24/08/05 14:03,typed:
> Sam <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>XP firewall is sorta okay for incoming connections, but to have better
>>security, logs and control a third party firewall is necessary
>>(ZoneAlarm or Sygate or any other).
>

> Nope. It's easy for malware to bypass toys like ZA.

Can you explain how Windows' internal firewall is more effective than
ZA, sygate or other such firewall software?

Sam.

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 10:08:46 AM

Sam <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> XP firewall is sorta okay for incoming connections, but to have better
>>> security, logs and control a third party firewall is necessary
>>> (ZoneAlarm or Sygate or any other).
>>
>> Nope. It's easy for malware to bypass toys like ZA.
>>
> Can you explain how Windows' internal firewall is more effective than
> ZA, sygate or other such firewall software?

Well, define "effective". If "effective" means a maximum of colorful
windows, beeps, alerts and stupid questions confusing the user, the
internal firewall (actually a local stateful packet filter) is not
effective. If "effective" means doing the classic firewall's job
reliable in the background without consuming additional ressources,
the built-in firewall is the first choice.

--
d-d
!