Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

.pst Files wont Defragment

Tags:
  • Outlook
  • Defragment
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
  • Product
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 24, 2005 8:22:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

when using Defragment (programs-accessories-system tools-defragment) in
Windows XP, after defragmenting C drive, report shows that certain large .pst
files from Outlook were not defrag.

this is unfortunate since these are the "gummiest" files on my computer.

is there any way to defrag these files safely? perhaps and update to defrag
program which will enable this? or a workaround? or a third party program
which will defrag these files? a way to defrag .pst files within Outlook?

any suggestions are appreciated.

More about : pst files wont defragment

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:16:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You need to do a couple of maintenance operations on your PST before
you concentrate on drive defrag. You didn't mention which version of
Outlook you use, so the steps can vary. First you need to locate the PST
scanner tool called ScanPST.Exe. This checks the pst for inconsistencies
and fixes any found. I would use Search, Advanced (w/ System, Hidden
and Subfolders) to locate it and create a shortcut.
Next you need to use the Mail applet in Control Panel, locate Data files
and from that find the "Compact Now" button. This compresses the .Pst.
As far as defrag I recommend and use Raxco's Perfect Disk 7.0. Much
more comprehensive and effective than the XP native tool. The Free trial
version sign-up here:
http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk200...
Purchase price is ~$40.00
They also now have an on-line subscription service for $19.95. I believe
it's called Perfect Disk Live.


"Tenacity" <Tenacity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:75D9A084-E257-4B8A-8A98-F7555105976F@microsoft.com...
> when using Defragment (programs-accessories-system tools-defragment) in
> Windows XP, after defragmenting C drive, report shows that certain large
> .pst
> files from Outlook were not defrag.
>
> this is unfortunate since these are the "gummiest" files on my computer.
>
> is there any way to defrag these files safely? perhaps and update to
> defrag
> program which will enable this? or a workaround? or a third party
> program
> which will defrag these files? a way to defrag .pst files within Outlook?
>
> any suggestions are appreciated.
August 24, 2005 12:16:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Outlook 2003 is the version. Pls. give further specificity given this info.

Are there any known problems with compressing .pst files? I do not use
autoarchive (or archiving) because I have lost .pst files (they have
vanished) in the past after archiving, and I'm wondering if there is any
problem accessing .pst files once they are compressed. Any way to guard
against this?

Thanks for your input.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> You need to do a couple of maintenance operations on your PST before
> you concentrate on drive defrag. You didn't mention which version of
> Outlook you use, so the steps can vary. First you need to locate the PST
> scanner tool called ScanPST.Exe. This checks the pst for inconsistencies
> and fixes any found. I would use Search, Advanced (w/ System, Hidden
> and Subfolders) to locate it and create a shortcut.
> Next you need to use the Mail applet in Control Panel, locate Data files
> and from that find the "Compact Now" button. This compresses the .Pst.
> As far as defrag I recommend and use Raxco's Perfect Disk 7.0. Much
> more comprehensive and effective than the XP native tool. The Free trial
> version sign-up here:
> http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk200...
> Purchase price is ~$40.00
> They also now have an on-line subscription service for $19.95. I believe
> it's called Perfect Disk Live.
>
>
> "Tenacity" <Tenacity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:75D9A084-E257-4B8A-8A98-F7555105976F@microsoft.com...
> > when using Defragment (programs-accessories-system tools-defragment) in
> > Windows XP, after defragmenting C drive, report shows that certain large
> > .pst
> > files from Outlook were not defrag.
> >
> > this is unfortunate since these are the "gummiest" files on my computer.
> >
> > is there any way to defrag these files safely? perhaps and update to
> > defrag
> > program which will enable this? or a workaround? or a third party
> > program
> > which will defrag these files? a way to defrag .pst files within Outlook?
> >
> > any suggestions are appreciated.
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:56:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You should "Always" copy the .Pst or back it up to CD-R or some
other source before doing what I suggested earlier. Generally, it is the
size of the .Pst that seems to correlate with it getting corrupted. The
compression removes the "White Space" within the data store. The
ScanPST tool will offer to create a backup before starting. Every
type of maintenance operation has some risk involved with it - so
you can never have enough backups. I perform those two functions
on my Outlook data store around once a month and haven't run into
any of the "Unanticipated Results" that you mentioned, but am well
aware of them happening. Nothing is quite as irritating as tools that
are supposed to help, but end up doing the opposite.

"Tenacity" <Tenacity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:71D32038-B8FB-4B08-B7F6-FB05002E8611@microsoft.com...
> Outlook 2003 is the version. Pls. give further specificity given this
> info.
>
> Are there any known problems with compressing .pst files? I do not use
> autoarchive (or archiving) because I have lost .pst files (they have
> vanished) in the past after archiving, and I'm wondering if there is any
> problem accessing .pst files once they are compressed. Any way to guard
> against this?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> You need to do a couple of maintenance operations on your PST before
>> you concentrate on drive defrag. You didn't mention which version of
>> Outlook you use, so the steps can vary. First you need to locate the PST
>> scanner tool called ScanPST.Exe. This checks the pst for inconsistencies
>> and fixes any found. I would use Search, Advanced (w/ System, Hidden
>> and Subfolders) to locate it and create a shortcut.
>> Next you need to use the Mail applet in Control Panel, locate Data files
>> and from that find the "Compact Now" button. This compresses the .Pst.
>> As far as defrag I recommend and use Raxco's Perfect Disk 7.0. Much
>> more comprehensive and effective than the XP native tool. The Free trial
>> version sign-up here:
>> http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk200...
>> Purchase price is ~$40.00
>> They also now have an on-line subscription service for $19.95. I believe
>> it's called Perfect Disk Live.
>>
>>
>> "Tenacity" <Tenacity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:75D9A084-E257-4B8A-8A98-F7555105976F@microsoft.com...
>> > when using Defragment (programs-accessories-system tools-defragment) in
>> > Windows XP, after defragmenting C drive, report shows that certain
>> > large
>> > .pst
>> > files from Outlook were not defrag.
>> >
>> > this is unfortunate since these are the "gummiest" files on my
>> > computer.
>> >
>> > is there any way to defrag these files safely? perhaps and update to
>> > defrag
>> > program which will enable this? or a workaround? or a third party
>> > program
>> > which will defrag these files? a way to defrag .pst files within
>> > Outlook?
>> >
>> > any suggestions are appreciated.
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
January 21, 2010 10:17:13 AM

Necropost.
!