Closed

windows explorer address bar misbehaviour

August 24, 2005 9:23:02 AM

XP Pro, fully up to date SP/patchwise.

The windows explorer address bar is now 'refreshing' every 5 seconds or so.

Very unhelpful, as it wipes out the network location you are trying to enter.

It reverts to the previous address, and auto selects the full text.

Ive been trying to enter strings of type:

\\servername\sharevolume\dir

and cannot do so without using wordpad, then cut and paste. the (approx)
five second window keeps cutting me down mid-typing interactively.

I could learn how to type faster I guess, but would much rather switch off
this feature, as it will play havoc with our networked users. the behaviour
seems recent - i certainly dont remember it from previous.

any ideas for things to try?

More about : windows explorer address bar misbehaviour

August 25, 2005 4:38:13 AM

Run line 157: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Nellie Oliphant" <Nellie Oliphant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D D972E5D-28D4-4DD0-8B22-506D67BF8882@microsoft.com...
> XP Pro, fully up to date SP/patchwise.
>
> The windows explorer address bar is now 'refreshing' every 5 seconds or
> so.
>
> Very unhelpful, as it wipes out the network location you are trying to
> enter.
>
> It reverts to the previous address, and auto selects the full text.
>
> Ive been trying to enter strings of type:
>
> \\servername\sharevolume\dir
>
> and cannot do so without using wordpad, then cut and paste. the (approx)
> five second window keeps cutting me down mid-typing interactively.
>
> I could learn how to type faster I guess, but would much rather switch off
> this feature, as it will play havoc with our networked users. the
> behaviour
> seems recent - i certainly dont remember it from previous.
>
> any ideas for things to try?
November 15, 2010 9:00:15 PM

I had the same problem. I found that when I was logged into hotmail in IE8 the problem occurred. As soon as I log out of Hotmail the problem stops. The problem didn't occur when I was using IE7. Also the problem doesn't occur when I use Hotmail in Firefox, Chrome or Safari. I am using Windows XP.
I don't know if you solved your problem I'm just posting this here in case others have the same problem because I had a very hard time finding the cause. I had to reboot and then start programs one by one testing windows explorer after I started each application. I hope this helps someone.
I also tried the solution in http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm but it didn't help.
Andrew

November 17, 2010 12:13:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish