Complete beginner needing help

Hi all,

I'm really stuck here. I bought a new laptop about 2 weeks ago. It's a
Compaq Presario (? if that helps). my grilfriend is Swedish so wanted the
language in Swedish. No problem. But the computer keeps restarting a few
times a day without any notice. I had a look everywhere on every forum
(almost) and read about this Zotob worm that turns your comp off all the
time. So, from the microsoft web page i did the PC check thing, and it says
it found nothing, but i downloaded the patch or something just in case, and
it said it won't install because the language is in Swedish, and i only works
in English. So firstly, do i have the worm thing? Secondly, can i get a
Swedish language patch, or change the language on the system temporarily? And
thirdly, if my laptop doesn't have this zotob worm, what's wrong with it. The
laptop is 2 weeks old like i said.

Please help, i don't know what to do, or what my options are.

Thanks again

Gruff
7 answers Last reply
More about complete beginner needing help

    Gruff wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm really stuck here. I bought a new laptop about 2 weeks ago. It's a
    > Compaq Presario (? if that helps). my grilfriend is Swedish so wanted
    > the language in Swedish. No problem. But the computer keeps
    > restarting a few times a day without any notice. I had a look
    > everywhere on every forum (almost) and read about this Zotob worm
    > that turns your comp off all the time. So, from the microsoft web
    > page i did the PC check thing, and it says it found nothing, but i
    > downloaded the patch or something just in case, and it said it won't
    > install because the language is in Swedish, and i only works in
    > English. So firstly, do i have the worm thing? Secondly, can i get a
    > Swedish language patch, or change the language on the system
    > temporarily? And thirdly, if my laptop doesn't have this zotob worm,
    > what's wrong with it. The laptop is 2 weeks old like i said.
    >
    > Please help, i don't know what to do, or what my options are.

    No, you can't change the langauage. If the computer restarts, the problem is
    often hardware or heat-related. You are presumably blue-screening, and you
    are set to reboot whenever that happens. Right-click My Computer, and choose
    Properties. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    Under System failure, uncheck the box "Automatically restart."
    Now when the problem occurs again, instead of restarting, you will get the
    blue screen with diagnostic information. Post back with those details for
    more help.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    If you have internet access, visit the online Housecall at Trendmicro.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    Have it check your system for viruses.

    I recommend an article at Aumha.org on ways to cleanup parasites.
    Follow the quick-fix protocol.
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    Disable automatic restart on system failure. Just to see if you can get a
    STOP code.

    When the pc is booting up (after the BIOS has done its POST test and
    before Windows starts loading),
    Tap F8 Function key to get bootup options. Tap & keep repeat tapping F8 !

    You will actually see "Disable automatic restart on system failure" as an
    option .
    Select that and give it a try. This option is available if you have XP
    service pack 2.

    Once restart on failure is disabled, you should get a STOP error with
    text --- at the next problem.
    Write it all down, and then start searching for the final solution.

    Take a look at the Troubleshooting Windows STOP messages at Aumha.org
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    HTH
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm really stuck here. I bought a new laptop about 2 weeks ago. It's a
    > Compaq Presario (? if that helps). my grilfriend is Swedish so wanted the
    > language in Swedish. No problem. But the computer keeps restarting a few
    > times a day without any notice. I had a look everywhere on every forum
    > (almost) and read about this Zotob worm that turns your comp off all the
    > time. So, from the microsoft web page i did the PC check thing, and it
    > says
    > it found nothing, but i downloaded the patch or something just in case,
    > and
    > it said it won't install because the language is in Swedish, and i only
    > works
    > in English. So firstly, do i have the worm thing? Secondly, can i get a
    > Swedish language patch, or change the language on the system temporarily?
    > And
    > thirdly, if my laptop doesn't have this zotob worm, what's wrong with it.
    > The
    > laptop is 2 weeks old like i said.
    >
    > Please help, i don't know what to do, or what my options are.
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Gruff

    You cannot change the language of Windows XP. The only thing you
    can do is to create a new partition and install a Swedish version of
    Windows XP, thus creating a dual-boot.

    Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    http://www.worldlanguage.com/

    A good third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

    Windows XP in Your Language
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/honeycutt_03april28.mspx

    Constant rebooting may be indicative of a hardware problem.
    Contact Compaq support for assistance.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in

    > You cannot change the language of Windows XP. The only thing you
    > can do is to create a new partition and install a Swedish version of
    > Windows XP, thus creating a dual-boot.

    i don't kow if I COMPLETELY agree with that.

    M$ now offers something called a MUI pack for several Windows OS's.

    Having no knowledge of the cost of this, I'm sure it would be more for
    corporation's and such, therefore being cost-prohibitive.

    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/muifaq.mspx

    The Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI) is an add-on to the
    English version of Windows XP Professional only. The MUI
    is available for corporate customers through volume licensing
    contracts and is not available in a retail package.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Gruff" <Gruff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm really stuck here. I bought a new laptop about 2 weeks ago. It's a
    >Compaq Presario (? if that helps). my grilfriend is Swedish so wanted the
    >language in Swedish. No problem. But the computer keeps restarting a few
    >times a day without any notice. I had a look everywhere on every forum
    >(almost) and read about this Zotob worm that turns your comp off all the
    >time. So, from the microsoft web page i did the PC check thing, and it says
    >it found nothing, but i downloaded the patch or something just in case, and
    >it said it won't install because the language is in Swedish, and i only works
    >in English. So firstly, do i have the worm thing? Secondly, can i get a
    >Swedish language patch, or change the language on the system temporarily? And
    >thirdly, if my laptop doesn't have this zotob worm, what's wrong with it. The
    >laptop is 2 weeks old like i said.
    >
    >Please help, i don't know what to do, or what my options are.
    >
    >Thanks again
    >
    >Gruff

    MVP Patty MacDuffie has a web site that is oriented towards beginners.

    http://www.computerhaven.info/

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in news:
    #H3GruMqFHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

    > The Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI) is an add-on to the
    > English version of Windows XP Professional only. The MUI
    > is available for corporate customers through volume licensing
    > contracts and is not available in a retail package.

    as I said, for corporate customer's. not available in a retail package but
    recently posted in the binary groups.

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP