A question about speeding up an older PB system ??

Hi--

First off, Happy New Year to everyone!!
OK, so I have an older PB system, the 685 MB with a Powerleap
(and Mr. BIOS) running at 400 mhz, 2 megs of vid ram, 128 meg mem, 56 k
Aztech modem. . Is there anything I can do, a trick or a tweek that
can make it a bit quicker on the net? Are there things that I can turn
off in Start or anything I can adjust in the BIOS? OK that's it.
Again......Happy New Year to all.

Bill

The motherboard is maxed out. A PCI graphics card with more memory may help
some. But the real bottleneck is the 56K modem. If you can get DSL or cable
internet service in your neighborhood, you'll see a real improvement. A PCI
hardware modem (US Robotics for example) might help a bit, but we're not talking
orders of magnitude speedup... Ben Myers

On 31 Dec 2004 20:55:11 -0800, ss454_@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi--
>
>First off, Happy New Year to everyone!!
>OK, so I have an older PB system, the 685 MB with a Powerleap
>(and Mr. BIOS) running at 400 mhz, 2 megs of vid ram, 128 meg mem, 56 k
>Aztech modem. . Is there anything I can do, a trick or a tweek that
>can make it a bit quicker on the net? Are there things that I can turn
>off in Start or anything I can adjust in the BIOS? OK that's it.
>Again......Happy New Year to all.
>
>Bill

An IDE 100/133 controller card with a faster drive would be noticeable if
you're using a HD that's as old as your PB. But as Ben suggests, since you
want to surf faster a faster internet connection is the way to go.

> The motherboard is maxed out. A PCI graphics card with more memory may
> help
> some. But the real bottleneck is the 56K modem. If you can get DSL or
> cable
> internet service in your neighborhood, you'll see a real improvement. A
> PCI
> hardware modem (US Robotics for example) might help a bit, but we're not
> talking
> orders of magnitude speedup... Ben Myers
>
> On 31 Dec 2004 20:55:11 -0800, ss454_@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hi--
>>
>>First off, Happy New Year to everyone!!
>>OK, so I have an older PB system, the 685 MB with a Powerleap
>>(and Mr. BIOS) running at 400 mhz, 2 megs of vid ram, 128 meg mem, 56 k
>>Aztech modem. . Is there anything I can do, a trick or a tweek that
>>can make it a bit quicker on the net? Are there things that I can turn
>>off in Start or anything I can adjust in the BIOS? OK that's it.
>>Again......Happy New Year to all.
>>
>>Bill

Just out of curiousity, how much did you pay for the Mr BIOS and
powerleap setup? Thanks.