Sign in with
Your question

New monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 1, 2010 2:38:24 PM

Well, it's time for me to finally upgrade from my CRT to an LCD/LED monitor, I would like a monitor that performs similarly to my old CRT which I run at 85hz, the 120hz monitors are slightly out of my budget as I would like to spend £150~ max.

Now, having little to no experience with LCD's I need your opinions on what would be a good replacement for my CRT, bearing in mind I regularly play FPS games which use all of the 85hz that I currently have. I'd hate to move to an LCD and then just instantly notice the choppiness of a lower refresh rate.
22-24 inch monitors are preferable.

Ty for help in advance.

More about : monitor

a c 195 C Monitor
July 1, 2010 3:46:17 PM

1. "LED" monitors are simply LCD monitors with "LED" backlight instead of florescent backlight.

2. All monitor using DVI-D or HDMI connections only operates @ 60Hz . 120Hz monitors uses dual linked DVI-D connections.

3. Only analog (VGA cables) connections can achieve 75Hz - 85Hz, however, many times the signal is cut down to 60Hz internally by the monitor.

4. In CRTs Hz refers to how fast the screen is refreshed. For LCD monitor (HDTV) Hz refers to how many times per second the monitor recieves updated data from the video card. Response time is used to measure an LCD's "screen refresh".

Below is a link to my review of the Asus VK246H monitor which may suit your needs. While it is a good monitor for playing games, it only use it to monitor some processes from time to time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54250-3-asus-vk246h-r...
July 1, 2010 3:51:06 PM

I'm aware of the first point but the LED backlight does look nice and generally people are classing them as different types of monitors, so trying to help folk looking I guess lol.

I have an HD4870 so I can easily handle dual link DVI-D.

Also, I'm not interested in the whole "it's LCD so it's not the same", the fact of the matter is that LCD does not display the required FPS, the 60hz cap means it will only display 60FPS, no matter how it refreshes etc., I'm used to my monitor displaying 85fps, that's what I'm talking about, I would like a comparable viewing experience if you understand what I mean.

Also, the monitor you linked me is too expensive, thanks anyway.
Related resources
a c 195 C Monitor
July 1, 2010 3:56:17 PM

$230 + shipping is too expensive?
July 1, 2010 3:57:16 PM

jaguarskx said:
$230 + shipping is too expensive?

I live in the UK
a c 195 C Monitor
July 1, 2010 4:04:21 PM

I figured the exchange rate would put the VK246H somewhere around your budget. I guess VAT comes into play for you.
July 1, 2010 4:05:11 PM

jaguarskx said:
I figured the exchange rate would put the VK246H somewhere around your budget. I guess VAT comes into play for you.

Yeah, I had a quick look around and it was about £180-190 at the cheapest.
!