Keeping a session alive

I am using Windows XP on a Unix machine via a Citrix window. I spend most of
my time using Unix applications with the result that the Windows XP session
is constantly going into lock mode because I haven't used it for 10 minutes.
(The company policy is that users are not allowed to reset the parameters to
change this.)

Is there a simple process I could set running, that wouldn't use a lot of
resources, but would just regularly produce some output in Windows XP to keep
the session from timing out?

Grateful for any suggestions.
3 answers Last reply
More about keeping session alive

    simonc wrote:

    > I am using Windows XP on a Unix machine via a Citrix window. I spend
    > most of my time using Unix applications with the result that the
    > Windows XP session is constantly going into lock mode because I
    > haven't used it for 10 minutes. (The company policy is that users are
    > not allowed to reset the parameters to change this.)
    >
    > Is there a simple process I could set running, that wouldn't use a lot
    > of resources, but would just regularly produce some output in Windows
    > XP to keep the session from timing out?
    >
    > Grateful for any suggestions.

    The best thing to do would be to contact your IT Dept. and tell them why
    you are having problems with their policy.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Malke" wrote:

    > simonc wrote:
    >
    > > I am using Windows XP on a Unix machine via a Citrix window. I spend
    > > most of my time using Unix applications with the result that the
    > > Windows XP session is constantly going into lock mode because I
    > > haven't used it for 10 minutes. (The company policy is that users are
    > > not allowed to reset the parameters to change this.)
    > >
    > > Is there a simple process I could set running, that wouldn't use a lot
    > > of resources, but would just regularly produce some output in Windows
    > > XP to keep the session from timing out?
    > >
    > > Grateful for any suggestions.
    >
    > The best thing to do would be to contact your IT Dept. and tell them why
    > you are having problems with their policy.

    Did that already, but they weren't willing to change it. I can understand
    why it is a good policy for people using just the one OS, so that the screen
    will automatically lock if they are away from their desks, but in my case I
    have set the Unix desktop to lock after 10 mins of no activity, so I don't
    really need the same protection on the Windows XP window.

    simonc wrote:

    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> simonc wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am using Windows XP on a Unix machine via a Citrix window. I
    >> > spend most of my time using Unix applications with the result that
    >> > the Windows XP session is constantly going into lock mode because I
    >> > haven't used it for 10 minutes. (The company policy is that users
    >> > are not allowed to reset the parameters to change this.)
    >> >
    >> > Is there a simple process I could set running, that wouldn't use a
    >> > lot of resources, but would just regularly produce some output in
    >> > Windows XP to keep the session from timing out?
    >> >
    >> > Grateful for any suggestions.
    >>
    >> The best thing to do would be to contact your IT Dept. and tell them
    >> why you are having problems with their policy.
    >
    > Did that already, but they weren't willing to change it. I can
    > understand why it is a good policy for people using just the one OS,
    > so that the screen will automatically lock if they are away from their
    > desks, but in my case I have set the Unix desktop to lock after 10
    > mins of no activity, so I don't really need the same protection on the
    > Windows XP window.

    Then I'm sorry, but I don't know what programs/processes your IT Dept.
    would allow. Perhaps someone else will have a solution for you.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com