Computer runs but no display

Hi,

I recently built an office computer for myself and it was working fine. I turned off the computer for the night but when i turned it back on, i was getting no image on the monitor. I can hear the PC running but the display is just black; i cant see it post or anything. Also lately its as if the computer keeps starting up and then restarting; i can hear the fans wind down and then start back up

I switched out monitors but that was not the issue. I used a dvi instead of vga connector but still the problem persisted. I also reset the cmos but again to no avail. I'm using IntelHD Graphics 3000

Specs:

ASRock H61M
8GB RAM (2x4GB)
500GB HDD sata
400W Rosewill PSU
intel core i5 2310

i'm quite at a loss. My guess is that its the Mobo but i dont want to deal with RMA unless i know its the issue
5 answers Last reply
More about computer runs display
  1. have you tried a separate video card?

or a different PSU?
  2. thermalburn said:
    Hi,

I recently built an office computer for myself and it was working fine. I turned off the computer for the night but when i turned it back on, i was getting no image on the monitor. I can hear the PC running but the display is just black; i cant see it post or anything. Also lately its as if the computer keeps starting up and then restarting; i can hear the fans wind down and then start back up

I switched out monitors but that was not the issue. I used a dvi instead of vga connector but still the problem persisted. I also reset the cmos but again to no avail. I'm using IntelHD Graphics 3000

Specs:

ASRock H61M
    8GB RAM (2x4GB)
    500GB HDD sata
    400W Rosewill PSU
    intel core i5 2310

i'm quite at a loss. My guess is that its the Mobo but i dont want to deal with RMA unless i know its the issue

I had a similar issue with my build. It turned out to be an issue with the ram. It sounds like you might have a mobo issue though. I would go to frys (or somewhere similar) and check their return policy. If you can return open products for a full refund, just go and buy what you think is wrong. After testing, you can return it. Just make sure you don't do anything like bending any pins or you won't be able to get a refund. I'd guess it's a RAM issue if you weren't able to boot already but as of now, it's probably a mobo issue.
  3. bypass the video card and use on board. anything ?

was the heat sink for the processor installed when the board was out of the case and you could physically see the black pins seat correctly ?........ processor may be shot if it got too hot.
  4. There are basic things that you can check and when you have done that then what's left is a trip to the repair shop or a call to tech support for the RMA.
    You have reset the cmos , changed the monitor and port on the MB. Now because you don't see the bios splash screen and most likely can't get into or see the bios screen then that eliminates the driver. So what's left is the motherboard and the cpu and by the computer starting and not giving a post beep for no cpu I will have to lean towards the motherboard.
  5. hi i will help u it is so easy just follow these steps
    (1) turn on your pc and then press ctrl+alt+delete
    (2) it will display a black screen and then press down key 2 times and then hit enter wait foe 5 sec and it will visible the display
    i think it will help you
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows 7 Displays