;Re: hp omnibook password - dissassmble bios to determine ..

Hi Bob,

As the Omnibook 6000 is a few years old now, you may find that they
are resold or given away or thrown out by the original owners.

I am a valid owner in that it was thrown out and is now in my
possession.

Again, if anyone is able to tell me the location, that would be
appreciated.

Jeff

Bob Headrick wrote:

> "patient.. very patient" <remailer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c69cf9c8.0412300022.44960075@posting.google.com...
>

>> googled the web extensively on the subject of getting around the
bios
>> password on the omnibook 6000.
>

> There is no need to disassemble the unit. If you are the valid owner of the Omnibook 6000 contact HP, they will unlock the bios. You will need some written documentation verifying ownership.
>
> If you are not a legal owner then you will likely not get much help here.
>
> - Bob Headrick

jeff

Here is a picture of the motherboard also:

http://img128.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img128&image=omni60004rw.jpg

Again, thanks for anyones help in advance.

Jeff

patient.. very patient wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> As the Omnibook 6000 is a few years old now, you may find that they
> are resold or given away or thrown out by the original owners.
>
> I am a valid owner in that it was thrown out and is now in my
> possession.
>
> Again, if anyone is able to tell me the location, that would be
> appreciated.
>
> Jeff
>
> Bob Headrick wrote:
>

>>"patient.. very patient" <remailer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c69cf9c8.0412300022.44960075@posting.google.com...
>>

>>>googled the web extensively on the subject of getting around the
>
> bios
>
>>>password on the omnibook 6000.
>>

>>There is no need to disassemble the unit. If you are the valid owner of the Omnibook 6000 contact HP, they will unlock the bios. You will need some written documentation verifying ownership.
>>
>>If you are not a legal owner then you will likely not get much help here.
>>
>> - Bob Headrick

On the seventh day, jeff wrote...

> Here is a picture of the motherboard also:
>
> http://img128.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img128&image=omni60004rw.jpg
>
> Again, thanks for anyones help in advance.

the BIOS chip is the socketed one with the pink sticker on it.
However, there are all sorts of protection mechanisms possible, such as the
cooperation of harddisk and BIOS chip, i.e. you might not find any
reference to the BIOS password in the chip itself but rather on harddisk.

100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

> Hi Bob,
>
> As the Omnibook 6000 is a few years old now, you may find that they
> are resold or given away or thrown out by the original owners.
>
> I am a valid owner in that it was thrown out and is now in my
> possession.

So contact the previous owner (the one that threw it out) and get
documentation, then call HP. Assuming of course that the previous owner
realizes they discarded it.... OB 6000's still go for $300-$500 on eBay.

- Bob Headrick