Sign in with
Your question

PC locks up with new processor, Please HELP!

Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2003 9:45:58 PM

I just upgraded the processor in an old machine from a C700 to a P3-1GHz. The manufacturer says that the 1GHz is the max speed for this old MB. I installed the processor and it boots up fine, shows a P3-1GHz, but after a few minutes of using the machine it locks up or the screen goes black with wierd color patterns all over it.

Any ideas?

Brian

C700/P3-1GHz, 512MB, 20GB, WinME

More about : locks processor

August 1, 2003 10:16:52 PM

what motherboard and what memory are you using...pc100?

Also i assume this processor is the model with 133mhz fsb?

Is it a slot 1 or socket 370 cpu?

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:
August 1, 2003 10:22:59 PM

Quote:
what motherboard and what memory are you using...pc100?

MB: Cascade III GVC 810E DR742E with Integrated Comp (Millennia EX and ClientPro CT - Cascade III)

Memory: pc100 I assume, I will have to check once I get home tonight, but the memory is as old (3 years) as the machine so I assume so.

Quote:
Also i assume this processor is the model with 133mhz fsb?

Yes

Quote:
Is it a slot 1 or socket 370 cpu?

Related resources
August 1, 2003 10:25:45 PM

well i know what your problem is...you are using pc100 memory on a cpu that has a 133mhz bus...if you can go into the bios and relax the timmings...and/or increase the memory/chipset (on many boards the chipset voltage increases the memory volatage as both run at 3.3v) voltage...

If you do not have these options you will need pc133 memory...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:
August 1, 2003 10:28:27 PM

I will check out my RAM tonight and see. I have a couple extra sticks in the closet too, so I will try those. I will let you know how it goes.

Brian
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2003 5:55:42 AM

The Celeron 700 has a 66MHz bus (!) while the PIII 1000EB has a 133MHz bus. You might even have PC66 in there, but it's unlikely.

Chances are you have PC100. You might have PC133. If your memory chips (those black things on the modules) have a number that ends in -7 or -75, they are probably PC133. If it's -8 or -10, it's PC100.

Also it could be a power supply problem. the PIII 1000EB draws at least 30% more power than the Celeron 700!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 2, 2003 3:39:48 PM

RAM is PC133 (there is a 133 MHz sticker on each stick and the modules end in 7G)

The power supply is a mATX 145W, not sure if that is enough. I am running with a 20GB, 2 CDROMs, and only 1 PCI card (10/100 card). Previously, I was running with 2HD on this machine with no issues.

FYI
C700 - 128/66/1.65V
P3 1GHz - 256/133/1.75V

Also, here is the support page for the machine that lists all original components. I have since upgraded the RAM, and I think that is all.

http://support.buympc.com/apps/complist.asp?SerialNo=24...

Thanks for all your help,
Brian

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by brianblank on 08/02/03 10:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 2, 2003 4:21:04 PM

that sounds like the problam...that powersupply is pretty weak!

a b à CPUs
August 2, 2003 10:31:29 PM

It's most likely your power supply then. 145W is pretty slim.

MicroATX is not really a power supply form factor, you probably have an SFX or PS-III. Most likely it's SFX.

If your power supply looks like <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=17-104-98..." target="_new">THIS</A> it's SFX, and I'd recommend <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=1..." target="_new">This Unit</A> as a replacement.

If your power supply looks like <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=17-104-98..." target="_new">THIS</A>, it's PS-III, and I'd go with <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=1..." target="_new">This Unit</A>.

It's probably the first one.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 3, 2003 12:30:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. It is an SFX supply, I ordered that unit from newegg. It should arrive late next week, I will let you all know how it goes.

*crosses fingers*

Brian
August 7, 2003 2:27:30 AM

Bad news folks, just got the PSU in and installed it. I assume that I don't need to do anything more than just drop it in and hook up the power connectors. Same results, it freezes up after a few minutes of working on it. Any other ideas? I am almost tempted to throw in the towel and go back to my C700 and return the PSU and the P3.

Brian
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2003 2:42:30 AM

Oh, one more question, which PIII is it? 1.475v or 1.65-1.75v?

August 7, 2003 2:45:35 AM

take a good hard look at your board under light...look at all of the capacitors (tall fat black things) if they seem bloated or are leaking then that is not good...check all of the choaks...lifesavers with wire wrapped around them...if they have scourch marks that is also not good...

Not being able to run a pIII but being able to run a celeron is a tell tale sign of capacitors dying or a burnt choak...if this is the case you will prolly need a new board...the board will eventually become unstable for your celery too :frown:

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
August 7, 2003 2:56:55 AM

what are you getting at...if it was a tualatin cpu in a coppermine only board...then it just wouldn't boot...right?

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2003 3:02:20 AM

It shouldn't boot at all with the Tualatin version...but I've already covered the normal angles.

August 7, 2003 3:10:15 AM

Quote:
Oh, one more question, which PIII is it? 1.475v or 1.65-1.75v?

P3 is 1.75V, C was 1.65V

There are two green caps that look a little bloated and had dried crud on top of them, probably dust and not fluid.

Please don't tell me that I will have to replace the board too! Are there places to get barebones P3s or boards anymore?

Brian
August 7, 2003 4:41:12 AM

OH damn i am good!

Yes indeed you do need a new board...the bloated caps are the cause of your problem...that crud is NOT dust it is electrolyte from the capacitor...

I shock myself sometimes!

Ebay is a good place to look...make sure you deal with a respectable vendor...

August 7, 2003 1:28:08 PM

Hey Crashman, do you know anywhere that I can get an SFX powersupply that's better than the "Foxconn Allied ATX 200W"? Maybe it's just the summer heat sapping the power supply, but my poor little Cel gets a bit unstable whenever I leave a USB device connected.

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2003 3:43:52 PM

Such is the problem with SFX. The Fortron 180W unit might give you another 10 watts peak, but then again, maybe not. It's a lot to go through for 10 watts.

August 7, 2003 7:57:17 PM

Bummer. :( 

I guess I'll just have to not connect USB devices up to it unless I absolutely need them. Too bad that system's ethernet is handled by a USB to ethernet adapter. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure that my 12V line is way under used too. I mean it's only a Celeron 500 at stock. **ROFL** I wish I could just press a magic button that saps from that slightly to buff up the 3.3V and 5V.

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>
!