redid my 1500$ Gaming Setup..better?

RobbyT123

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Thanks for the help on the previous post for this..updated my setup a bit...tell me if i made any mistakes...thanks.

Case- CaseTek Super ATX Tower case with Q-Window, Model CK-1019-2B
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=11-186-028

Power Supply- Thermaltake W0013 Silent Purepower 480W with Silver housing - Xaser Edition ATX 2-Fan Power Supply

CD-RW Drive- Lite On 52x32x52x Black Color CDRW Drive LTR-52327S - OEM

DVD ROM Drive- LITE-ON XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H 16X DVD ROM Drive BLACK- OEM

Floppy Drive- SAMSUNG 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE Model# SFD321B/LBL - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

Hard Drive- Seagate 120gb SATA hd

Keyboard- Viewsonic Viewmate Black Slim Keyboard Model: KU-201
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=23-150-002

Mouse- Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse -USB/PS2 RETAIL

RAM- GeIL Golden Dragon Dual DDR 1GB(2x512MB) 433MHz Model GD3500-1000DC Retail

Motherboard- ABIT IC7, Intel 875P chipset for Socket 478 P4 Canterwood ATX motherboard RETAIL

Processor- Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - RETAIL

Sound Card- Onboard Sound, maybe TBSC

Speakers- Logitech Z640 5.1 Speaker - RETAIL

Video Card- ATI OEM SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 128MB Non Pro DVI/TV 8X AGP BULK

Anything you guys see wrong/missing with that setup?? How is the case/PSU?
Any input is appreciated, thanks.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i would go for an IS7 mobo...there is no need for the IC7...because the IS7 has PAT enabled...

I bet fortron has a much better and cheeper psu...i dunno about the case...

Other than that it's looking good...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

RobbyT123

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
The ThermalTake PSU scored well on Anandtech's PSU roundup, so i thought it would be ok and it wasnt expensive...75$...any other 450watt+ PSU's that are reliabe and around 70-80$??

ALso, could use some opinions on the case, seems nice for only 60$

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
if it indeed does not come with fans i would HIGHLY recomend two low rpm fans for the case...a little bit of airflow can do quite alot to help cool down a system

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

RobbyT123

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
You guys think the SOnata would be a better case/PSU combo than the one i have there now?? It will be about 50$ cheaper because i have to get fans with this one...just a bit skeptical about the 380W Antec PSU...will it run my setup fine..and allow me to overclock a bit?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Antec Sonata comes with a True380, but it isn't actually a <i>standard</i> True380. It's a specialy-modified one with only one fan instead of the standard two, and larger heat sinks on the components in it to make up for the missing fan. It also has two fan-specific connectors that regulate the fan voltages according to the power supply's heat to keep the system quiet. It's a power supply that is quite fitting of Antec's 'Hear the Silence' motto for the Sonata.

I have a Sonata and it's really a nice case. One of these days Newegg will stop screwing up my order for a 120mm Antec Smartfan so I can see just how much having the front 120mm fan installed improves cooling, but even without it's still great. And the snazzy paint job is almost as good as an automobile's. But like most things it has it's flaws. And in this case one of the biggest would probably be that it's only a 380W power supply, even if it is an Antec Truepower. But then, considering the lack of hard drives in RAID arrays it just might be enough. :\ This is one of those cases where it'd be mighty handy if you could 'test drive' parts.

(If you want to know its other flaws, they would be the lack of an optional side-panel with a window, the fact that it's cramped in there, in my case at least the instructions for the front-panel audio didn't match the actual cable's labelling ... which is corrected in a FAQ at Antec's website, and the 'silence' is actually kind of killed by the side vents allowing for a lot of the noise from the CPU and video fans to come out. If you <i>really</i> want that silence you need the front fan so that you can seal up those side vents and/or get a specifically low-noise CPU fan and video card.)

"<i>Let's see what <b>Paragraph 84-B</b> has to say about it.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030724" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Just as a note: I've heard both good and bad things about the Golden Dragon series. Besides the typical 'they packaged the wrong-speed sticks in my kit' that's common with Geil, there's also a number of people who find these sticks difficult to keep cool. The concept is great, but that plastic packaging over the actual chips keeps you from being able to use a heatspreader effectively and in fact creates a sort of thermal battery of the air trapped inside of the stick itself. So people have had a lot of hit and miss kind of luck with the 'Golden Dragon' sticks.

They do look darn cool though. :)

If Geil would just get rid of that plastic packaging then you just might be able to really get some OCing out of them with the addition of a nice heatspreader kit. An extremist <i>might</i> be able to cut the plastic with an exacto or something, but that is kinda extreme...

"<i>Let's see what <b>Paragraph 84-B</b> has to say about it.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030724" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

G

Im running a 3HD setup. 2 in raid0, on a P4p800, PIV2.6c all that with a Fx5900 on a Antec TruePower 380whatt. So there shouldnt be a problem. Altough I could use a 430+ to have some headroom...