Fathom - Shop, but keep everything else original??? (2)

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I read the Fathom/eBay post with great interest. I am an owner
(possibly seller) of a Fathom. Just happened today.

Anyway, the bg was peeling on the bottom 5th. I have sealed it and it
is proped up in my family room so I can look at it. Looks pretty good.
Hell, looks great!

The pf is factory mylared (assumed) and looks real good. One sorta bad
spot over one of the lanes up top. I plan to clean it up best I can.
Plus, new pop plastics from PBR and pf plastics if I can find them.
They are not that bad, but better is better. Targets are nice

Cab- Now here's why I posted. I read that the Fathom on eBay recently
went for 'crazy' money and it was not touched up at all. I saw the
pics. Hey, sure, it was way nice as-is, but, I don't know why going
around the head boarder or coin door and whatever is a bad thing? I
will repaint those areas on mine. If it kills the value...Well, I guess
I f'd up. I like my games to be pretty.

I will send all boards out to be repaired (although Clay got it to run
with a few jumpers) I plan to spare no expense on this one.

OldSchool

Oh yeah, I also saw a post about a KISS game, and the faded original
cabinet being worth more than a expertly done repaint...WHY!!? The
repaint, done properly, with a good stencil, IMO, looks 10X 'better'
than a smoked out, scratched up, sun faded original. Keep in mind, I
would be the type to use quality repro parts on a '57 Chevy if it made
it look great... Is it really just a matter of taste? If so, I'll stop
caring. No logic when speaking of taste.

Some folks just don't want non-original things
done to their games. For the most part, I tend
to agree with that. It lessens the value to me.

If YOU like it, it's all that matters. Just don't
expect everybody to share that view. Neither
should you expect that your expertly painted
game is worth more to a collector.

It usually isn't when collected for value.

--
Fred
TX

"OldSchool" <pballwiz1966@aol.com> wrote

> Oh yeah, I also saw a post about a KISS game, and the faded original
> cabinet being worth more than a expertly done repaint...WHY!!? The
> repaint, done properly, with a good stencil, IMO, looks 10X 'better'
> than a smoked out, scratched up, sun faded original. Keep in mind, I
> would be the type to use quality repro parts on a '57 Chevy if it made
> it look great... Is it really just a matter of taste? If so, I'll stop
> caring. No logic when speaking of taste.

Fathom has been branded a "hot" old title right now so they're
commanding premium prices. Whether or not they deserve this high price
is anyone's opinions.... previous titles that see this jump are things
like Eight Ball Deluxe.

>Oh yeah, I also saw a post about a KISS game, and the faded original
>cabinet being worth more than a expertly done repaint...WHY!!? The
>repaint, done properly, with a good stencil, IMO, looks 10X 'better'
>than a smoked out, scratched up, sun faded original. Keep in mind, I
>would be the type to use quality repro parts on a '57 Chevy if it made
>it look great... Is it really just a matter of taste? If so, I'll stop
>caring. No logic when speaking of taste.

Yeah and 2 really big fans cut into the side of a cabinet can kill value also.
:-o

--
Eric A.
eavedesianNOSPAM@comcast.net

Mr. Propane Torch!!

ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HH,HS,HS2,CV,B@by-P@c M@n,IJ,RS,BK
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Max value says leave it be. It can always be touched up but never undone.

Original pins in great condition will command the top dollar as well they
should, because they are harder to find. However, if there are severe wear
areas, that will not bring out the top dollar collectors and you could get
more from the "I want it nice" buyers if it were restored.

GRY

"Eric A." <eavedesian@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >Oh yeah, I also saw a post about a KISS game, and the faded original
>>cabinet being worth more than a expertly done repaint...WHY!!? The
>>repaint, done properly, with a good stencil, IMO, looks 10X 'better'
>>than a smoked out, scratched up, sun faded original. Keep in mind, I
>>would be the type to use quality repro parts on a '57 Chevy if it made
>>it look great... Is it really just a matter of taste? If so, I'll stop
>>caring. No logic when speaking of taste.
>
> Yeah and 2 really big fans cut into the side of a cabinet can kill value
> also.
> :-o
>

> --
> Eric A.
> eavedesianNOSPAM@comcast.net
> 313-268-0541
>
> Mr. Propane Torch!!
>
> ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HH,HS,HS2,CV,B@by-P@c M@n,IJ,RS,BK
> Remove NOSPAM to reply

Very well put GRY. There are buyers no matter how it's done.

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

Ceegary wrote:
> Original pins in great condition will command the top dollar as well they
> should, because they are harder to find. However, if there are severe wear
> areas, that will not bring out the top dollar collectors and you could get
> more from the "I want it nice" buyers if it were restored.
>
> GRY
>
> "Eric A." <eavedesian@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > >Oh yeah, I also saw a post about a KISS game, and the faded original
> >>cabinet being worth more than a expertly done repaint...WHY!!? The
> >>repaint, done properly, with a good stencil, IMO, looks 10X 'better'
> >>than a smoked out, scratched up, sun faded original. Keep in mind, I
> >>would be the type to use quality repro parts on a '57 Chevy if it made
> >>it look great... Is it really just a matter of taste? If so, I'll stop
> >>caring. No logic when speaking of taste.
> >
> > Yeah and 2 really big fans cut into the side of a cabinet can kill value
> > also.
> > :-o
> >

> > --
> > Eric A.
> > eavedesianNOSPAM@comcast.net
> > 313-268-0541
> >
> > Mr. Propane Torch!!
> >
> > ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HH,HS,HS2,CV,B@by-P@c M@n,IJ,RS,BK
> > Remove NOSPAM to reply

Is EBD still suffering that "hot" title monikor?

Leave the cab alone unless it's truly trashed. I never really care
about cab condition when I buy (of course, if it's water damaged or
something, then all bets off).

- Q

Yup, EBD is still a "hot" title - if you look back at old auction
results, fathom and EBD rarely got more than 100-200 bucks. EBD are
still commanding an expensive price, and if repro PFs do come out for
it (part of the reason the old title gets hot is the parts availability
IMO) they will be even harder to come by.