My Kids Inspiron 1100 Overheats And Dies...

Bought it a year ago for my kids ($700 TV special). They use it a lot, but
it overheats and flops out every couple of hours. Is there something I can
do to fix this? I'm not very computer savvy, so any simple solutions would
be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The Hanrahans wrote:
They use it a lot, but
> it overheats and flops out every couple of hours. Is there something I can
> do to fix this?

I'd blow out any dust that may be in the fan. Then I'd buy a laptop
cooler - device that fits under the laptop with blower fans. Targus
makes a good one. This model has known heat problems. Go to Dell Forums
for more info.

Try the I8Kfangui fan control program. http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/
It is compatible with the 1100. I have an older I8000 that was
overheating and this program now makes it possibel for me to use the
machine. I set mine to turn the fans on at 145 degrees F and have had
no problems since.
Anne