Dell 2001FP vs. 2005FPW LCD monitors; which is better

katy

Hi All, I've been looking at both of these monitors at Dell, they both seem
very much the same (20.1" etc.) except that the 2005FPW is $80 less. I was
wondering if anyone knew offhand in layman's terms if one has better viewing
than the other?

I'm also wondering if there is a likelihood that either or both of these
monitors will go down more in price, now that Christmas is over and the
first quarter is creeping up?

Thanks for any ideas anyone! katy

The 2005 has higher luminance(300 vs. 250 CDM), better contrast (600/1
vs. 400/1)
than the 2001. It also supports the wide screen format of 1680x1050.
The 2001 supports only the postage stamp 1600x1200 format.

"Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All, I've been looking at both of these monitors at Dell, they
> both seem very much the same (20.1" etc.) except that the 2005FPW is
> $80 less. I was wondering if anyone knew offhand in layman's terms if
> one has better viewing than the other?
>
> I'm also wondering if there is a likelihood that either or both of
> these monitors will go down more in price, now that Christmas is over
> and the first quarter is creeping up?
>
> Thanks for any ideas anyone! katy

Pen, I just hooked my 2005FPW up to my Dimension 4550. Stunning! I had a
25% off coupon on the SB site, total cost $616 with 2nd day shipping.
Ordered 12/22, shipped 12/24 and delivered 12/27.

I was a little worried after I ordered it because of reading on the dell
forums about all of the problems people have had with this monitor,
backlight leakage at the corners, etc. This on was manufactured December
2004 Rev 00. I ran some tests and so far zero bad pixels and no backlight
leaks that I can see.

Currently using a NVidia GeForce4 MX with TV out 64MB card in analog mode.
Also, I couldn't seem to find a video card to support the native 1680 X 1050
resolution. But, a new driver download from the NVidia site fixed that too!
It also added portrait and landscape settings.

Circuit city has the ATI 9800Pro 128MB card on sale for $180 after rebates.
Tom Scales and many others highly recommend that card and I may just pick on
up for the DVI input. Hope that helps, Pat

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The 2005 has higher luminance(300 vs. 250 CDM), better contrast (600/1 vs.
> 400/1)
> than the 2001. It also supports the wide screen format of 1680x1050.
> The 2001 supports only the postage stamp 1600x1200 format.
>
> "Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All, I've been looking at both of these monitors at Dell, they both
>> seem very much the same (20.1" etc.) except that the 2005FPW is $80 less.
>> I was wondering if anyone knew offhand in layman's terms if one has
>> better viewing than the other?
>>
>> I'm also wondering if there is a likelihood that either or both of these
>> monitors will go down more in price, now that Christmas is over and the
>> first quarter is creeping up?
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas anyone! katy

stealth

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

> Pen, I just hooked my 2005FPW up to my Dimension 4550. Stunning! I had a
> 25% off coupon on the SB site, total cost $616 with 2nd day shipping.
> Ordered 12/22, shipped 12/24 and delivered 12/27.

What/where is the "SB" site?

Stealth, The Dell Small Business site. The monitor was $799 on the Small
Business site and $80 cheaper on the Home & Home Office Site. But, with 30%
off the higher price, it was still cheaper even with paying sales tax. You
really have to check both for specials, coupons, etc. Also, Play the Delf
Game on the Home site, I here they have a 20% off coupon. HTH, Pat

"stealth" <stealthyREMOVE@att.net> wrote in message

> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>

>> Pen, I just hooked my 2005FPW up to my Dimension 4550. Stunning! I had
>> a 25% off coupon on the SB site, total cost $616 with 2nd day shipping.
>> Ordered 12/22, shipped 12/24 and delivered 12/27.
>

> What/where is the "SB" site?

katy

Pat, I have just 3 days ago began playing the Dellf Game, is it a matter of
chance whether we get the 20% off coupon or not? I haven't gotten a coupon
for monitors at all, just accessories and/or printer, items I don't need.
Or is there another place to play the Dellf game to get the 20% for sure?
Thanks,
katy

> Stealth, The Dell Small Business site. The monitor was $799 on the Small
> Business site and $80 cheaper on the Home & Home Office Site. But, with
> 30% off the higher price, it was still cheaper even with paying sales tax.
> You really have to check both for specials, coupons, etc. Also, Play the
> Delf Game on the Home site, I here they have a 20% off coupon. HTH, Pat
>
> "stealth" <stealthyREMOVE@att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>

>>> Pen, I just hooked my 2005FPW up to my Dimension 4550. Stunning! I had
>>> a 25% off coupon on the SB site, total cost $616 with 2nd day shipping.
>>> Ordered 12/22, shipped 12/24 and delivered 12/27.
>>

>> What/where is the "SB" site?

Katy, Sorry to see your post so late. I just got one of the 20% off coupons
and don't need it myself. It expires 1/5/05.

Thank you for playing the Dell Dellf Delivers Game, powered by ePrize. You
have received the following special offer from Dell: 20% off any Dell Flat
Panel
Please use the promotional code provided below toward your purchases at
http://www.dell.com/shopnow.

Your discount code is: $XFP?K5JFMRRV7

HTH and Happy New Year! Pat

> Pat, I have just 3 days ago began playing the Dellf Game, is it a matter
> of chance whether we get the 20% off coupon or not? I haven't gotten a
> coupon for monitors at all, just accessories and/or printer, items I don't
> need. Or is there another place to play the Dellf game to get the 20% for
> sure?
> Thanks,
> katy
>

> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Stealth, The Dell Small Business site. The monitor was $799 on the Small
>> Business site and $80 cheaper on the Home & Home Office Site. But, with
>> 30% off the higher price, it was still cheaper even with paying sales
>> tax. You really have to check both for specials, coupons, etc. Also,
>> Play the Delf Game on the Home site, I here they have a 20% off coupon.
>> HTH, Pat
>>
>> "stealth" <stealthyREMOVE@att.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

>>> What/where is the "SB" site?

katy

Wow! Thank you Pat!! With this discount code, I could save double the
current discount and that is great deal closer to my affordable
price......... THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!
Happy New Year to you and yours also!!
katy

> Katy, Sorry to see your post so late. I just got one of the 20% off
> coupons and don't need it myself. It expires 1/5/05.
>
> Thank you for playing the Dell Dellf Delivers Game, powered by ePrize. You
> have received the following special offer from Dell: 20% off any Dell Flat
> Panel
> Please use the promotional code provided below toward your purchases at
> http://www.dell.com/shopnow.
>
> Your discount code is: $XFP?K5JFMRRV7
>
> HTH and Happy New Year! Pat
>
> "Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Pat, I have just 3 days ago began playing the Dellf Game, is it a matter
>> of chance whether we get the 20% off coupon or not? I haven't gotten a
>> coupon for monitors at all, just accessories and/or printer, items I
>> don't need. Or is there another place to play the Dellf game to get the
>> 20% for sure?
>> Thanks,
>> katy
>>

>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Stealth, The Dell Small Business site. The monitor was $799 on the
>>> Small Business site and $80 cheaper on the Home & Home Office Site.
>>> But, with 30% off the higher price, it was still cheaper even with
>>> paying sales tax. You really have to check both for specials, coupons,
>>> etc. Also, Play the Delf Game on the Home site, I here they have a 20%
>>> off coupon. HTH, Pat
>>>
>>> "stealth" <stealthyREMOVE@att.net> wrote in message

Katy, Your welcome. I'm still playing around with the font settings, icon
sizes, etc. on my new 2005FPW. Not sure I like the much higher native
resolution. Also, some of the icons on my programs, e.g. Quickbooks Pro,
seem to get scrunched for lack of a better word and get cut off I suspect
due to the widescreen resolution. Maybe someone else on the group has a
2005FPW and has some suggested settings? My old 19" P992 Trinitron was set
at 1024 X 768, which suited me just fine. Happy New Year, Pat

> Wow! Thank you Pat!! With this discount code, I could save double the
> current discount and that is great deal closer to my affordable
> price......... THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!
> Happy New Year to you and yours also!!
> katy
>

> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Katy, Sorry to see your post so late. I just got one of the 20% off
>> coupons and don't need it myself. It expires 1/5/05.
>>
>> Thank you for playing the Dell Dellf Delivers Game, powered by ePrize.
>> You have received the following special offer from Dell: 20% off any Dell
>> Flat Panel
>> Please use the promotional code provided below toward your purchases at
>> http://www.dell.com/shopnow.
>>
>> Your discount code is: $XFP?K5JFMRRV7
>>
>> HTH and Happy New Year! Pat
>>
>> "Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Pat, I have just 3 days ago began playing the Dellf Game, is it a matter
>>> of chance whether we get the 20% off coupon or not? I haven't gotten a
>>> coupon for monitors at all, just accessories and/or printer, items I
>>> don't need. Or is there another place to play the Dellf game to get the
>>> 20% for sure?
>>> Thanks,