MN-700 Modem Light Blinks Constantly

Last response: in Networking
August 14, 2004 9:53:55 PM

I have hooked up my MN-700 wireless bas station to my Comcast cable
modem. I have 1 PC connected via ethernet cable and 3 laptops using the
wireless connection.

The problem is the light labeled 'Modem' on the MN-700 won't stop
blinking. I've tried shutting down all the computers connected to it and still
in blinks constantly. The light labeled 'Activity' on my cable modem blinks at
the same rate. At the same time everything seems to be working fine. All the
machines have access to the Internet and can see each other with no
problems. I can access the internal setup page with no problem. But that
light doesn't ever stop blinking.

The MN-700 just replaced a Linksys router, and I didn't see this activity
using that device. As soon as I unplug the MN-700's cable from the modem
it stops. Restarting the MN-700 had no affect. Restarting the cable modem
had no affect.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
August 14, 2004 11:05:36 PM

Check the basestation log. I bet you will see the basestation is
blocking a ton of incoming connections. More information about what is
in the log can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...
so that you will understand what is in the log.

So thus the "Problem" you are seeing is that the Router's modem port
blinks even if it blocks the traffic.

Nate wrote:

> I have hooked up my MN-700 wireless bas station to my Comcast cable
> modem. I have 1 PC connected via ethernet cable and 3 laptops using the
> wireless connection.
>
> The problem is the light labeled 'Modem' on the MN-700 won't stop
> blinking. I've tried shutting down all the computers connected to it and still
> in blinks constantly. The light labeled 'Activity' on my cable modem blinks at
> the same rate. At the same time everything seems to be working fine. All the
> machines have access to the Internet and can see each other with no
> problems. I can access the internal setup page with no problem. But that
> light doesn't ever stop blinking.
>
> The MN-700 just replaced a Linksys router, and I didn't see this activity
> using that device. As soon as I unplug the MN-700's cable from the modem
> it stops. Restarting the MN-700 had no affect. Restarting the cable modem
> had no affect.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 11:05:37 PM

I just checked the log like you suggested and I don't see anything out of the
ordinary. No activity is logged between the last time I logged in, about 30
minutes before, and now. Yet, the modem light has not stopped blinking.

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

10_concept_log_file.mspx
>so that you will understand what is in the log.
>
>So thus the "Problem" you are seeing is that the Router's modem port
>blinks even if it blocks the traffic.
>
>Nate wrote:
>
>> I have hooked up my MN-700 wireless bas station to my Comcast cable
>> modem. I have 1 PC connected via ethernet cable and 3 laptops using
the
>> wireless connection.
>>
>> The problem is the light labeled 'Modem' on the MN-700 won't stop
>> blinking. I've tried shutting down all the computers connected to it and
still
>> in blinks constantly. The light labeled 'Activity' on my cable modem
blinks at
>> the same rate. At the same time everything seems to be working fine. All
the
>> machines have access to the Internet and can see each other with no
>> problems. I can access the internal setup page with no problem. But that
>> light doesn't ever stop blinking.
>>
>> The MN-700 just replaced a Linksys router, and I didn't see this activity
>> using that device. As soon as I unplug the MN-700's cable from the
modem
>> it stops. Restarting the MN-700 had no affect. Restarting the cable
modem
>> had no affect.
>>
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>.

August 14, 2004 11:09:59 PM

It only blinks whenever data is received or sent, and most
often stays steady green (no data exchange) -- so, either:

(1) You are getting scanned using ICMP packets -- these
don't show on the logs unless you disable Pings on the router

(2) A program on your computer(s) is exchanging data --
turn off all the computers and see if the light still
blinks -- if it does, and you are not running Messenger, or
email, or some other net enabled app (e.g. p2p), then look
for troyans

(3) The router is renewing a lease or synchronizing the
time -- this should only happen sporadically (the time only
happens during power up, I believe) and leave tracks on the
security logs

August 15, 2004 12:42:33 AM

Not sure if my answer here helps you or not..... But my MN 700 blinks at
a rapid rate whenever it's on and connected. Everything in my system is
normal - connected to my desktop via Ethernet cable and to my laptop as
wireless. Laptop is using a MN 720 bus card.

Have a Linksys router at the office which likewise blinks very rapidly when
connected. I don't see the blinking as anything out of the ordinary but
maybe I don't know enough about it to be worried. <g> IOW, if it's
working OK, don't mess with it.

I just checked the log like you suggested and I don't see anything out of
the
ordinary. No activity is logged between the last time I logged in, about 30
minutes before, and now. Yet, the modem light has not stopped blinking.

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

August 15, 2004 1:22:19 PM

I guess the MN-700 doesn't log as much as the MN-500. I have the MN-500
& I can only see about 2-3 hours of my router blocking stuff. I figured
it was that because that is the most likely cause. Otherwise I'm not sure.

CS wrote:
> Not sure if my answer here helps you or not..... But my MN 700 blinks at
> a rapid rate whenever it's on and connected. Everything in my system is
> normal - connected to my desktop via Ethernet cable and to my laptop as
> wireless. Laptop is using a MN 720 bus card.
>
> Have a Linksys router at the office which likewise blinks very rapidly when
> connected. I don't see the blinking as anything out of the ordinary but
> maybe I don't know enough about it to be worried. <g> IOW, if it's
> working OK, don't mess with it.
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just checked the log like you suggested and I don't see anything out of
> the
> ordinary. No activity is logged between the last time I logged in, about 30
> minutes before, and now. Yet, the modem light has not stopped blinking.
>
> Is there anything else I should be looking for?

August 15, 2004 1:24:06 PM

It does every once in a while check the time again. While running the
1.08.003 firmware on the MN-500 of the course of several months it
checked the time about once a month. That is if I remember right.

lilo wrote:

> It only blinks whenever data is received or sent, and most
> often stays steady green (no data exchange) -- so, either:
>
> (1) You are getting scanned using ICMP packets -- these
> don't show on the logs unless you disable Pings on the router
>
> (2) A program on your computer(s) is exchanging data --
> turn off all the computers and see if the light still
> blinks -- if it does, and you are not running Messenger, or
> email, or some other net enabled app (e.g. p2p), then look
> for troyans
>
> (3) The router is renewing a lease or synchronizing the
> time -- this should only happen sporadically (the time only
> happens during power up, I believe) and leave tracks on the
> security logs

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:42:47 PM

"Nate" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Why is this a problem? The Modem light on my router blinks about twice a
second so long as my computer is powered on. The data light on my cable
modem blinks at the same rate. I have seen no detrimental effects of this
behavior.
No logs in router or ZoneAlarm show excess activity. No undetermined network
activity going on on my computer. Other cable modems at
my friends' houses do the same thing. The cable support guy didn't think it
was
unusual. I just think that the cable modem is screaming HERE I AM! all the
time on the cable network. Not my problem. Have you considered black tape?

Dick Kistler
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 5:37:22 PM

Actually that reminds me that (some?) cable companies
broadcast all the traffic over all the cable system (or at
least a large sub-section. If you hook a computer to the
modem (no router), then you should be able to check on all
the traffic for all the neighborhood -- I never tried
though (using DSL)

In that you are right. It could/would explain effectively
the blinking on a cable system -- which does not occur on
DSL lines ^_^

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 10:17:39 PM

"lilo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually that reminds me that (some?) cable companies
> broadcast all the traffic over all the cable system (or at
> least a large sub-section. If you hook a computer to the
> modem (no router), then you should be able to check on all
> the traffic for all the neighborhood -- I never tried
> though (using DSL)
>
> In that you are right. It could/would explain effectively
> the blinking on a cable system -- which does not occur on
> DSL lines ^_^

Yes, I think that pretty much all the cable systems do that.
Your modem only receives the data that is identified by its
MAC address, but the traffic is encrypted, so there is no
easy way for your modem tor read all of the traffic on the
net.

Dick Kistler
August 18, 2004 9:39:45 PM

I have exactly the same issue with the modem activity light and the
router WAN light (d-link di-524) blinking maybe in 60 cycle
phase...hmmm...currently surfing here looking for an answer.

Old linksys Befsr41 did not do this. New d-link does. d-link's INDIAN
help desk clueless, as expected. (Bad enough they are clueless...now
if they could only understand the language they are hired to give help
in! )

My modem is an old surfboard 3100. I read in another thread where a
new modem eliminated this same problem...

....anyone know if these surfboards have flash-able roms?
!