Happy as hell! Just bought a Pinbot and a Fathom! (3)

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Pinbot has been on my list of games to buy since 1999, when I started
collecting (although I didn't know I was starting to collect at the
time). To me, it's just super fun!

And Fathom? Well, I am into early SS for the most part. I've read the
Fathom hype on rgp for years. Finally got to play one a few months back
(Thanks Clay) and I found it worthy of the hype. I mean, you can see
the artwork is worthy even if you have never played it. But I found the
feel of the game to be up to par with other early SS games I love
('Trotters, Paragon, Gordon, Stones, Seawitch, Big Game,'Spa, etc.).

The only cloud in my sunny sky is that I try to avoid (like the plague)
buying games that I will painfully miss when they are gone. I like to
flip 'em as of late. And I'm very happy with my current stable...But if
I keep 'em, I have to lose 2 established games in my collection. My
gameroom is maxed. But hey, what a cool problem to have!

Honestly, after getting into an auto crash, it's nice to be 'on top of
the world' again. And the cost? You couldn't get a 'blown out Popeye'
for the cash exchanged...

OldSchool

Pinbot's a great game, isn't it?! I love mine, too. Not too shallow,
not too deep. Great sound and great light show. A great classic 80's
WMS machine!

get to work on that fathom big boy. i made sure it booted for ya
so you weren't so nervous about buying it, that's the first i
converted that generation of bally from 220 to 110 volts. make
sure you check all the fuses and they are the right values. it will
need some general help but at least there wasn't significant battery
corrosion.

but i don't know what ya gonna do about that pair of cabinet
4" fan holes. i was thinking about that and thought maybe you
could re-cut them clean with a hole saw and then put 3/4" ply
in, and repaint the cab. those stencils are available to make
it easier. a lot of work but it would probably turn out good.

on the backglass you need to do the triple thick/saran wrap
method along the bottom edge before that flakes off. on the upper
playfield wear i have a good idea how to fix that perfectly,
but unfortunately it would require the PF to be clearcoated
afterwards. and that would mean removing the mylar from everywhere.
so it's probably not worth doing. just that upper lane wear
kind of bothers me and it could be fixed. you'll have to
decide. good luck!

OldSchool wrote:
> Pinbot has been on my list of games to buy since 1999, when I started
> collecting (although I didn't know I was starting to collect at the
> time). To me, it's just super fun!
>
> And Fathom? Well, I am into early SS for the most part. I've read the
> Fathom hype on rgp for years. Finally got to play one a few months back
> (Thanks Clay) and I found it worthy of the hype. I mean, you can see
> the artwork is worthy even if you have never played it. But I found the
> feel of the game to be up to par with other early SS games I love
> ('Trotters, Paragon, Gordon, Stones, Seawitch, Big Game,'Spa, etc.).
>
> The only cloud in my sunny sky is that I try to avoid (like the plague)
> buying games that I will painfully miss when they are gone. I like to
> flip 'em as of late. And I'm very happy with my current stable...But if
> I keep 'em, I have to lose 2 established games in my collection. My
> gameroom is maxed. But hey, what a cool problem to have!
>
> Honestly, after getting into an auto crash, it's nice to be 'on top of
> the world' again. And the cost? You couldn't get a 'blown out Popeye'
> for the cash exchanged...
>
> OldSchool

So which two have to go to make room for your new additions?

cfh@provide.net wrote:
> get to work on that fathom big boy. i made sure it booted for ya
> so you weren't so nervous about buying it, that's the first i
> converted that generation of bally from 220 to 110 volts. make
> sure you check all the fuses and they are the right values. it will
> need some general help but at least there wasn't significant battery
> corrosion.
>
> but i don't know what ya gonna do about that pair of cabinet
> 4" fan holes. i was thinking about that and thought maybe you
> could re-cut them clean with a hole saw and then put 3/4" ply
> in, and repaint the cab. those stencils are available to make
> it easier. a lot of work but it would probably turn out good.
>
> on the backglass you need to do the triple thick/saran wrap
> method along the bottom edge before that flakes off. on the upper
> playfield wear i have a good idea how to fix that perfectly,
> but unfortunately it would require the PF to be clearcoated
> afterwards. and that would mean removing the mylar from everywhere.
> so it's probably not worth doing. just that upper lane wear
> kind of bothers me and it could be fixed. you'll have to
> decide. good luck!
>
> OldSchool wrote:
> > Pinbot has been on my list of games to buy since 1999, when I started
> > collecting (although I didn't know I was starting to collect at the
> > time). To me, it's just super fun!
> >
> > And Fathom? Well, I am into early SS for the most part. I've read the
> > Fathom hype on rgp for years. Finally got to play one a few months back
> > (Thanks Clay) and I found it worthy of the hype. I mean, you can see
> > the artwork is worthy even if you have never played it. But I found the
> > feel of the game to be up to par with other early SS games I love
> > ('Trotters, Paragon, Gordon, Stones, Seawitch, Big Game,'Spa, etc.).
> >
> > The only cloud in my sunny sky is that I try to avoid (like the plague)
> > buying games that I will painfully miss when they are gone. I like to
> > flip 'em as of late. And I'm very happy with my current stable...But if
> > I keep 'em, I have to lose 2 established games in my collection. My
> > gameroom is maxed. But hey, what a cool problem to have!
> >
> > Honestly, after getting into an auto crash, it's nice to be 'on top of
> > the world' again. And the cost? You couldn't get a 'blown out Popeye'
> > for the cash exchanged...
> >
> > OldSchool

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have absolutely no idea what would have to be rotated. I would have
room for one more pin. But that would require the B.C. Rich rig to move
elsewhere. Wouldn't work I guess. So truly two have to go up for sale
:^(

Really, the game on the 'bottom' of my list (the sacraficial lamb),
would be TZ. Just for the fact that I can get another one anytime. I
mean, most of my collection has 'hard to find' (in sweet condition)
games. TZs? C'mon, it's about only money. Also, if I got rid of my
(gulp) 2 video games, I could fit another pin there.

To go farther, if I kept the 'Bot, I would have to find 1 or 2 more
late 80's games because they look different. I have 10 early SS (Bally,
Stern, Williams, Zaccaria) and 2 DMDs (Data East, Bally). My small
collection is VERY uniform.

As far as Fathom, as I said in another post, this game will get the
best of the best. The list of people / vendors who have direct ties to
the restoration will be a (limited) who's who in the collection game.
If it is as good as I think, Scorpion will go. But the thing 'Scorp has
going (besides the fact that it is very nice and hard to find) is that
a pretty, working Fathom has a pretty high value to it. Maybe 'Scorp
wins the 'bang for the buck' battle?

OldSchool

Phil

Id be intrested in that TZ of yours. Lemme know if you decide to sell.

John
jdubbbs

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have someone who will be going over the reset issue (for the third
time). I wouldn't sell unless it was 100%. So give me a couple of
weeks. But it's really pretty. No fade, but I would guess that it has
NOT been HUO it's whole life :^(

OldSchool