How to enable/show an accessible but not visible harddisk ..

August 24, 2005 7:04:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Starting point was a working 120GB harddisc as MAster jumpered with partition C: + D:.
Then I connected another, new 120GB harddisc to the same IDE cable.

This new harddisc (MAxtor) was jumpered in some times as Slave resp. as Cable Select.

However this harddisc is not visible as a new drive letter in Windows Explorer.

When I access it with harddisc diagnostic software it is visible. SMART monitor values show
no errors. So what's wrong?
How can I start to format this new drive when I cannot see it?

Start->Programs->AdministrativeTools->ComputerManagement->Storage->DiskManagement
show the drive as Disk1 and "unallacated".

What does that mean?

Gunter
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:08:03 AM

"Gunter Hansen" <GHansen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Starting point was a working 120GB harddisc as MAster jumpered with
> partition C: + D:.
> Then I connected another, new 120GB harddisc to the same IDE cable.
>
> This new harddisc (MAxtor) was jumpered in some times as Slave resp. as
> Cable Select.
>
> However this harddisc is not visible as a new drive letter in Windows
> Explorer.
>
> When I access it with harddisc diagnostic software it is visible. SMART
> monitor values show
> no errors. So what's wrong?
> How can I start to format this new drive when I cannot see it?
>
> Start->Programs->AdministrativeTools->ComputerManagement->Storage->DiskManagement
> show the drive as Disk1 and "unallacated".
>
> What does that mean?
>
> Gunter

If the original drive is set as master, the second drive (on the same cable)
should be set as slave - not cable select.

When you have the jumpers correct, go to disk management, find the drive -
then partition and format the drive. After you do so the drive should be
assigned a letter. Then you will be able to use the second drive in
explorer.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,
August 25, 2005 11:08:35 AM

Rightclick the drive icon in diskmgmt and choose the options you need to allocate and format the disk.

--
Mark L. Ferguson