Status
Not open for further replies.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hey, I took an ap comp sci c++ course at school and after working this summer learned quite a bit more and want to add some gui's to the work I do. What are some good places to start (not books, more of tutorials or reading header files and cpp files). I don't need to be programming advanced 3d using pixel shaders and all that jism, just some basic 2d stuff to make good looking guis (and I hate VB btw). Thanks.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 08/03/03 00:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
GUI's are platform dependent. In C++, most GUI's are done by using the Win32 API. That is, assuming you're running Windows. In *nix, I believe you need to use whatever programming interface X gives you. There's no "standard" way of doing it.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Try Java with "swing". It is pretty platform independant and quite interesting and popular.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/03/03 06:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yup, I can't think of a way to make a GUI without using the WinAPI. In fact, simply to display a form, the CreateWindow or CreateWindowEx WinAPI function is called. If you don't like the look of the Windows form window, then you can simply paint over it with GDI functions. Hmm, is it even possible to make a functional window in Windows without calling CreateWindow? I've never done it before. Then again, I usually use the "visual" aspect of modern programming languages because writing a GUI from code takes forever. I've always believed visual interfaces should be done with the help of the programming language unless you're looking for something fancy. Most code would be written in C++ .NET or Delphi or VB.NET or whatever other programming language, and all the time critical programming should be written in assembly (meaning, you don't write time critical subroutines and functions in VB :wink: ).

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Since you want to make a GUI, and not a GUI maker, I think it's best to stick with tools that already exist. For Windows, Win32 will be fine for simple interfaces (and you should learn it to understand some concepts). For more complicated ones, Borland C++ Builder and Delphi are excellent.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
No idea why THG listed this under "Topics being discussed on the forums" or why it was posted in CPU & Components, but they did and it was so here's my contribution.

Three popular cross-platform GUI toolkits for C/C++ are Qt, Gnome / GTK+, and wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows). There's also one built on OpenGL called GLUT / GLUI.

necropost.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.