Sign in with
Your question

Looking for laptop suggestions

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 3, 2010 4:03:35 PM

Hey all I'm looking to get a new laptop for all around work, which will include some video editing, some gaming, maybe some audio editing and video post work as well. I'd also like it to last a while, so I might go with a bit higher specs than I absolutely need at the moment.

1_What is your budget?
$1000-$1650 Could stretch it a bit more if I needed to maybe $2000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
anything from 14-16

3_What screen resolution do you want?
I'd like full HD, so 1680x1050, 1920x1200 and 1920x1080

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
A bit of both, I will bring it to work at least a couple of days a week, but it doesn't have to be ultraportable as I'm just throwing it in the car then carrying it up, but i don't want a 17"+ behemoth that is awkward to carry around.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not all that much, I'll mostly be working off AC either at work or home.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I play some games, most notably Football manager, I also would like to be able to pick up RPGs and a few FPSs in the future and play at medium settings, the next dragon age comes to mind

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Watching movies, some video editing, photo editing, possibly some audio and post work.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I don't need a ton as I would keep most big stuff for the video editing on external drives. I do want either 7200 rpm or SSD though

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I was considering the Asus G51Jx from xoticpc, but I'm wondering now about the size(people say it is as big as most 17", and I don't like the lights on the lid that don't turn off.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years preferably, for everything except new games. The ability to upgrade components without a ton of difficulty would also be a plus.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
A DVD writer is fine, though if a laptop w/o an optical drive was the best option I am fine with using an external drive.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No really strong preferences, I had a Toshiba that I hated, but it was a model specific overheating issue so I would consider giving them another chance

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
The strongest preferences I have among these is that I want an i7 processor, and a very good display, I also would liek a minimum of 4GB RAM but preferably 6. I would also like the ability to add more RAM later if needed.

More about : laptop suggestions

March 9, 2010 7:25:02 PM

Well I haven't gotten a reply yet, but I'm going to update with some of my thoughts.
I have pretty much ruled out the Asus G51-Jx after playing with one in person, and hearing about many people having BSOD issues. I am currently looking at the following options:
Sony F series: I like the price, don't like the size or the GPU

HP Envy 15: Like the size,like the screen and ability to go to 16 GB of RAm down the road, don't like: heard there are Heat problems, worried about HP's quality.

Sager NP2180: Like the size and weight, dislike: would like a better GPU at the price.

Sager NP8690: Like GPU DIslike: huge size price

I didn't list price as a dislike on the Envy because I know I can get 300-400 off either through a coupon or bing cashback.
Am I missing any other notebook here with an i7 and full HD screen? If not what do people think of these options?

March 10, 2010 2:08:41 AM

menelmacar18 said:
Well I haven't gotten a reply yet, but I'm going to update with some of my thoughts.
I have pretty much ruled out the Asus G51-Jx after playing with one in person, and hearing about many people having BSOD issues. I am currently looking at the following options:
Sony F series: I like the price, don't like the size or the GPU

HP Envy 15: Like the size,like the screen and ability to go to 16 GB of RAm down the road, don't like: heard there are Heat problems, worried about HP's quality.

Sager NP2180: Like the size and weight, dislike: would like a better GPU at the price.

Sager NP8690: Like GPU DIslike: huge size price

I didn't list price as a dislike on the Envy because I know I can get 300-400 off either through a coupon or bing cashback.
Am I missing any other notebook here with an i7 and full HD screen? If not what do people think of these options?

The 8690 is sub 1600 with Xotic right now with the upgraded screen. It's the one I got and I am anxious to have it in my hot little hands.
March 10, 2010 3:06:30 PM

Maverick4396 said:
The 8690 is sub 1600 with Xotic right now with the upgraded screen. It's the one I got and I am anxious to have it in my hot little hands.

Yeah the 8690 definitely seems like the most gaming power for the money, but I worry about the size, since I don't really game on the highest level size is quite important.
!