Computer fall down go boom? :(

Grayson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2003
Heyas.

Posting here in the hopes that someone can give me a kick in the right direction, heh.

System specs:
AMD 2200+
WinXP Home (updated to last weeks WindowsUpdate downloads)
Geforce 4 4200ti
512mb RAM (2x 256mb)
SB Audigy
Updated video/sound drivers (Tested 3 different vid drivers, got latest sound driver from SB)
DirectX 9.0a

As of a few days ago, my computer has been freezing irregularily. Sometimes within 20-30 seconds of loading WinXP, sometimes 20-30 minutes. I have to cold-boot it to restart it. However, what's odd is that if I try to boot it up right after it freezes, the case makes all it's usual whirrings and such, but the monitor doesn't receive any information - it stays off. If I wait a minute and reboot it, it boots up fine. Other than a heat wave in the area, nothing unusual has occured. Given the high heat, I'm guessing that I've fried something ;(

Getting tired of it fubar'ing, I did the driver dance, and when that failed, I popped the side wall off, stuck a small fan there, and tried again. No luck. According to my BIOS, it was running at 53 degrees celcius.

After that failed, I pulled out one of my RAM sticks, and tried again. Froze up quickly again. I pulled out the other (so no RAM), and rebooted. It didn't boot, just beeped at me (4 quick beeps in succession), so I turned it off. I've tried putting the RAM back in in various slots (originally was using 1 + 2 of 4), and it doesn't seem to matter what I do - it just keeps beeping at me.

So, I'm stumped. I thought it might be heat, but with the fan blowing directly into the case, it still froze up. The RAM trouble seems very odd. I'd swap memory with this box, but the gaming rig is DDR and this is SD :(

Grayson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2003
Generic 400W power supply. No extra fans, just standard stuff there too. Had no aspirations of OC'ing it, so didn't think I'd need extra cooling. Apparently I may have been wrong, heh.

I underclocked my Geforce when the problems first showed up, didn't seem to have any effect.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Let me try and understand.
Your machine is still beeping even if you put one memory back?

If this is the situation, try reseting your CMOS.

The loving are the daring!

Grayson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2003
Gah. Turns out I hadn't shoved the RAM far enough in - wasn't fully connected. Sometimes stupidity is a saving grace :p

Tried the first RAM dimm and it froze up on me. Trying the second now. Sure as heck hope it's nothing worse than a bad stick of RAM... *crosses fingers*

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
whatches as Grayson flies across in the room from a massive electric shock.

Ram sucks, but they made installation easy with the plastic things, holy sh!te the old ones with the metal clips were hard, made ur fingrs bleed every time!

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

Grayson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2003
Well, been running for a good hour and half now with no problems. Looks like it was just the stupid RAM. Next time I'm taking 5 minutes to check that first, lol.

Thanks to those that offered advice :)

Grayson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2003
*sigh* Pre-emptive joy. Ran fine for 8+ hours, but today, with the one "good" stick of RAM, I've had it freeze up on me a few times again. Grr!

Going to backup everything important to CD's, and just format the damn thing. With some luck, the problem will clear itself up. If not.. well.. um.. I'll cuss a lot more? :p

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
test your ram properly using MEMTEST86. Any mem errors are bad.
then use MBM to observe your voltages during computer use. voltages should be +/- 5% for the positive rails. (ignore the negative ones).

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>