Midway Chopper Does it use a blacklight or a flouresnt tub..

I am working on my Midway chopper as one of the alien targets failed.
(Bad opto) It currently has a white 3" flouresent light as a backlight
but with the orange and green paint on the background I'm wondering if
it is supposed to be blacklighted. All the adjustments for sensetivity
for the optos are full up and I had to install a brighter bulb in the
chopper to consistantly trigger all the targets. (Except for the bad
one in the left rear corner.)

Anyone play one of these when they first came out in 1974 or so?

The background is cracked and kinda fried from the heat from the
flourescent. I plan to have a friend take a super high res pic and
photoshop the cracks and burns out of the background before
I reinstall the old background and reproduce a background on a wide bed
printer on new plastic.

The original background is bent and screwed to hold it in place. I'm
having difficulty reinforcing it as the plastic strips I attached peeled
right off upon this dissasembly.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I could send pics if you
want to see what I'm working with.
--
Bart D. Hull
bdhull-nospam@inficad.com

Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

i had a BL in mine at one time (in fact you can see the BL in
chopper on TOP#4). because the lighting is 'back lit', the
blacklight is not bright enough to do a lot. the florescent
works better. now maybe you could add a 2nd BL bulb...

Bart D. Hull wrote:
> I am working on my Midway chopper as one of the alien targets failed.
> (Bad opto) It currently has a white 3" flouresent light as a backlight
> but with the orange and green paint on the background I'm wondering if
> it is supposed to be blacklighted. All the adjustments for sensetivity
> for the optos are full up and I had to install a brighter bulb in the
> chopper to consistantly trigger all the targets. (Except for the bad
> one in the left rear corner.)
>
> Anyone play one of these when they first came out in 1974 or so?
>
> The background is cracked and kinda fried from the heat from the
> flourescent. I plan to have a friend take a super high res pic and
> photoshop the cracks and burns out of the background before
> I reinstall the old background and reproduce a background on a wide bed
> printer on new plastic.
>
> The original background is bent and screwed to hold it in place. I'm
> having difficulty reinforcing it as the plastic strips I attached peeled
> right off upon this dissasembly.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I could send pics if you
> want to see what I'm working with.
> --
> Bart D. Hull
> bdhull-nospam@inficad.com
> Tempe, Arizona
>
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
> for my Subaru Engine Conversion
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
> for Tango II I'm building.
>
> Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Bart:

Mine has a regular flourescent tube, but you're right
that there's lots of stuff inside that would glow under
a black light tube. You could always add one if
you like the effect.

If you need any pics of the background artwork, let me know.

MP3's of the sounds on the 8-track tape are available at my
web site here: http://arcadearchive.com/em/sound/

-Mark
--
http://pinballpal.com/

"Bart D. Hull" <bdhull@nospaminficad.com> wrote in message
>I am working on my Midway chopper as one of the alien targets failed. (Bad
>opto) It currently has a white 3" flouresent light as a backlight
> but with the orange and green paint on the background I'm wondering if
> it is supposed to be blacklighted. All the adjustments for sensetivity
> for the optos are full up and I had to install a brighter bulb in the
> chopper to consistantly trigger all the targets. (Except for the bad
> one in the left rear corner.)
>
> Anyone play one of these when they first came out in 1974 or so?
>
> The background is cracked and kinda fried from the heat from the
> flourescent. I plan to have a friend take a super high res pic and
> photoshop the cracks and burns out of the background before
> I reinstall the old background and reproduce a background on a wide bed
> printer on new plastic.
>
> The original background is bent and screwed to hold it in place. I'm
> having difficulty reinforcing it as the plastic strips I attached peeled
> right off upon this dissasembly.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I could send pics if you
> want to see what I'm working with.
> --
> Bart D. Hull
> bdhull-nospam@inficad.com
> Tempe, Arizona
>
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
> for my Subaru Engine Conversion
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
> for Tango II I'm building.
>
> Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Mark,

If you have high res pics of the background I sure could use them.
I have a buddy with a large plotter that will accept plastic stock.

Just think a new background for a 30+ year old game!

If you have them please just attach and send to my address here, my ISP
allows huge attachments.

Thanks,

Mark Clayton wrote:
> Bart:
>
> Mine has a regular flourescent tube, but you're right
> that there's lots of stuff inside that would glow under
> a black light tube. You could always add one if
> you like the effect.
>
> If you need any pics of the background artwork, let me know.
>
> MP3's of the sounds on the 8-track tape are available at my
> web site here: http://arcadearchive.com/em/sound/
>
> -Mark

The background was already reissued by a guy in AZ recently.
I bought a new one and it was very very nice! he did a great
job. you can probably find him through google.

Bart D. Hull wrote:
> Mark,
>
> If you have high res pics of the background I sure could use them.
> I have a buddy with a large plotter that will accept plastic stock.
>
> Just think a new background for a 30+ year old game!
>
> If you have them please just attach and send to my address here, my ISP
> allows huge attachments.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bart D. Hull
> bdhull-nospam@inficad.com
> Tempe, Arizona
>
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
> for my Subaru Engine Conversion
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
> for Tango II I'm building.
>
> Remove -nospam to reply via email.
>
> Mark Clayton wrote:
> > Bart:
> >
> > Mine has a regular flourescent tube, but you're right
> > that there's lots of stuff inside that would glow under
> > a black light tube. You could always add one if
> > you like the effect.
> >
> > If you need any pics of the background artwork, let me know.
> >
> > MP3's of the sounds on the 8-track tape are available at my
> > web site here: http://arcadearchive.com/em/sound/
> >
> > -Mark

Could you give me a name or a link?
I'm in Arizona too!

I'd love to just go buy one!

cfh@provide.net wrote:
> The background was already reissued by a guy in AZ recently.
> I bought a new one and it was very very nice! he did a great
> job. you can probably find him through google.
>
> Bart D. Hull wrote:
>
>>Mark,
>>
>>If you have high res pics of the background I sure could use them.
>>I have a buddy with a large plotter that will accept plastic stock.
>>
>>Just think a new background for a 30+ year old game!
>>
>>If you have them please just attach and send to my address here, my ISP
>>allows huge attachments.
>>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>Bart D. Hull
>>bdhull-nospam@inficad.com
>>Tempe, Arizona
>>
>>Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
>>for my Subaru Engine Conversion
>>Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
>>for Tango II I'm building.
>>
>>Remove -nospam to reply via email.
>>
>>Mark Clayton wrote:
>>
>>>Bart:
>>>
>>>Mine has a regular flourescent tube, but you're right
>>>that there's lots of stuff inside that would glow under
>>>a black light tube. You could always add one if
>>>you like the effect.
>>>
>>>If you need any pics of the background artwork, let me know.
>>>
>>>MP3's of the sounds on the 8-track tape are available at my
>>>web site here: http://arcadearchive.com/em/sound/
>>>
>>>-Mark

Bart:

If you find this guy and he still has them available, please post here
or drop me an email. Mine is in good shape, but I wouldn't mind a
spare. If it doesn't work out and you still need the photos, please
let me know and I'll send some your way.

P.S. Your Chopper 8-track tape will ship today.

-Mark
--

> Could you give me a name or a link?
> I'm in Arizona too!
>
> I'd love to just go buy one!
>
> Thanks
>
> Bart D. Hull
> bdhull-nospam@inficad.com
> Tempe, Arizona
>
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
> for my Subaru Engine Conversion
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
> for Tango II I'm building.
>
> Remove -nospam to reply via email.
>
> cfh@provide.net wrote:
>> The background was already reissued by a guy in AZ recently.
>> I bought a new one and it was very very nice! he did a great
>> job. you can probably find him through google.
>>
>> Bart D. Hull wrote:
>>
>>>Mark,
>>>
>>>If you have high res pics of the background I sure could use them.
>>>I have a buddy with a large plotter that will accept plastic stock.
>>>
>>>Just think a new background for a 30+ year old game!
>>>
>>>If you have them please just attach and send to my address here, my ISP
>>>allows huge attachments.
>>>

>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Bart D. Hull
>>>bdhull-nospam@inficad.com
>>>Tempe, Arizona
>>>
>>>Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
>>>for my Subaru Engine Conversion
>>>Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
>>>for Tango II I'm building.
>>>
>>>Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Mark,

Thanks for the quick shipping. Do you have any experience with the 8
track units in Chopper? I am wondering if the tape has seen too many
hours or if the unit is not reading the rotor side of the tape.

I'll let you know about the background, I wasn't provided a name or a
link or even a name for the original emailer so I hope he'll contact me
with the info.

Mark Clayton wrote:
> Bart:
>
> If you find this guy and he still has them available, please post here
> or drop me an email. Mine is in good shape, but I wouldn't mind a
> spare. If it doesn't work out and you still need the photos, please
> let me know and I'll send some your way.
>
> P.S. Your Chopper 8-track tape will ship today.
>
> -Mark

Bart:

If you can't repair the existing 8-track, you could probably
adapt a home or car player as a substitute. But there's a
fair amount of circuitry in between the tape player and the
speaker, and all of that should be checked out first.

I couldn't find anything in the rec.games.pinball archives
regarding repro Chopper backgrounds, other than Clay's
1999 request for one (and a post from you back in 1997!)...

-Mark