Problems with Windows XP - Help!!

I just replaced the hard drive on my computer and now I can't get it to load
the os. I am using home edition sp1. It gets to a black screen with a
flashing cursor and hangs for a long time. When I select to boot up in safe
mode, or any mode for that matter, it returns to the same place. When I try
to boot off the cd it doesn't work. I tried the recovery console, but it
asks for a password and there isn't one set up because we haven't been able
to even log on yet. Now what do I do? At this point I would love to know
how to remove the content from the hard drive to start over, but don't know
what that entails. I was given the option to delete the partition, didn't do
it and now don't know how I got there the first time. Please help me! I
need to get this thing up and running asap.

Stacy wrote:

> I just replaced the hard drive on my computer and now I can't get it
> to load the os.

Did you copy it from the old drive to the new one? How?

> I am using home edition sp1. It gets to a black
> screen with a flashing cursor and hangs for a long time. When I
> select to boot up in safe mode, or any mode for that matter, it
> returns to the same place. When I try to boot off the cd it doesn't
> work.

Did you set the BIOS to boot frtom the CD first? What does "it doesn't work"
mean? What happens when you try. If you get an error message, please quote
it verbatim.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> I tried the recovery console, but it asks for a password and
> there isn't one set up because we haven't been able to even log on
> yet. Now what do I do? At this point I would love to know how to
> remove the content from the hard drive to start over, but don't know
> what that entails. I was given the option to delete the partition,
> didn't do it and now don't know how I got there the first time.
> Please help me! I need to get this thing up and running asap.

No I did not copy from the old hard drive. This is a new hard drive and I am
installing XP for the first time on it with no old data. I can get the cd to
run and start setting up XP, however, it detects there is already files on
the drive. I was told that I needed to repair the installation. When I went
into the recovery console to try to figure this thing out it asks for a
password. However, since I haven't been able to even log on, there is no
password entered.

Stacy wrote:
> I just replaced the hard drive on my computer and now I can't get it to load
> the os. I am using home edition sp1. It gets to a black screen with a
> flashing cursor and hangs for a long time. When I select to boot up in safe
> mode, or any mode for that matter, it returns to the same place. When I try
> to boot off the cd it doesn't work. I tried the recovery console, but it
> asks for a password and there isn't one set up because we haven't been able
> to even log on yet. Now what do I do? At this point I would love to know
> how to remove the content from the hard drive to start over, but don't know
> what that entails. I was given the option to delete the partition, didn't do
> it and now don't know how I got there the first time. Please help me! I
> need to get this thing up and running asap.

Have you just replaced an old hard drive with a bland new hard drive and
are trying to install Windows XP operating system?

Kaz

Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do. I went through the installation
already and when I went to reboot the system to finish the installation, it
won't work.

"honjo" wrote:

> Stacy wrote:
> > I just replaced the hard drive on my computer and now I can't get it to load
> > the os. I am using home edition sp1. It gets to a black screen with a
> > flashing cursor and hangs for a long time. When I select to boot up in safe
> > mode, or any mode for that matter, it returns to the same place. When I try
> > to boot off the cd it doesn't work. I tried the recovery console, but it
> > asks for a password and there isn't one set up because we haven't been able
> > to even log on yet. Now what do I do? At this point I would love to know
> > how to remove the content from the hard drive to start over, but don't know
> > what that entails. I was given the option to delete the partition, didn't do
> > it and now don't know how I got there the first time. Please help me! I
> > need to get this thing up and running asap.
>
> Have you just replaced an old hard drive with a bland new hard drive and
> are trying to install Windows XP operating system?
>
> Kaz

I have read your responses to the other posts above.
My suggestion is 1) boot to the CDROM, 2) proceed to New Install not to
Recovery Console, and then 3) Select "Repair install" from the menu when
displayed.

Kaz

Stacy wrote:
> Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do. I went through the installation
> already and when I went to reboot the system to finish the installation, it
> won't work.
>
> "honjo" wrote:
>

>>Stacy wrote:
>>
>>>I just replaced the hard drive on my computer and now I can't get it to load
>>>the os. I am using home edition sp1. It gets to a black screen with a
>>>flashing cursor and hangs for a long time. When I select to boot up in safe
>>>mode, or any mode for that matter, it returns to the same place. When I try
>>>to boot off the cd it doesn't work. I tried the recovery console, but it
>>>asks for a password and there isn't one set up because we haven't been able
>>>to even log on yet. Now what do I do? At this point I would love to know
>>>how to remove the content from the hard drive to start over, but don't know
>>>what that entails. I was given the option to delete the partition, didn't do
>>>it and now don't know how I got there the first time. Please help me! I
>>>need to get this thing up and running asap.
>>
>>Have you just replaced an old hard drive with a bland new hard drive and
>>are trying to install Windows XP operating system?
>>
>>Kaz

Thanks! I will try that and let e1 know if it works.

Stac

"honjo" wrote:

> I have read your responses to the other posts above.
> My suggestion is 1) boot to the CDROM, 2) proceed to New Install not to
> Recovery Console, and then 3) Select "Repair install" from the menu when
> displayed.
>
> Kaz
>
> Stacy wrote:
> > Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do. I went through the installation
> > already and when I went to reboot the system to finish the installation, it
> > won't work.

> >>Have you just replaced an old hard drive with a bland new hard drive and
> >>are trying to install Windows XP operating system?
> >>
> >>Kaz

I reviewed your original post and found that there seems to be
conflicting statements which being "When I try to boot off the cd it
doesn't work." and "I tried the recovery console, but it asks for a
password and tthere isn't one set up because ...". If you can not boot
to CDROM then you obviouly can not do as suggested in my preveous post.
If you can boot to CDROM and get to Recovery Console then press Enter
when password is asked then try the following at the command propt:

FIXBOOT
FIXMBR

then restart the PC

If this does not fix the problem then try Repair Install as in my
preveous post.

Kaz

honjo wrote:
> I have read your responses to the other posts above.
> My suggestion is 1) boot to the CDROM, 2) proceed to New Install not to
> Recovery Console, and then 3) Select "Repair install" from the menu when
> displayed.
>
> Kaz
>
> Stacy wrote:
>
>> Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do. I went through the
>> installation already and when I went to reboot the system to finish
>> the installation, it won't work.

>>> Have you just replaced an old hard drive with a bland new hard drive
>>> and are trying to install Windows XP operating system?
>>>
>>> Kaz

sorry about that. I think I was a little off when I said can't boot off the
cd. It won't boot up after I installed from the cd. I will try what was
suggested. Thanks.

"honjo" wrote:

> I reviewed your original post and found that there seems to be
> conflicting statements which being "When I try to boot off the cd it
> doesn't work." and "I tried the recovery console, but it asks for a
> password and tthere isn't one set up because ...". If you can not boot
> to CDROM then you obviouly can not do as suggested in my preveous post.
> If you can boot to CDROM and get to Recovery Console then press Enter
> when password is asked then try the following at the command propt:
>
> FIXBOOT
> FIXMBR
>
> then restart the PC
>
> If this does not fix the problem then try Repair Install as in my
> preveous post.
>
> Kaz
>

> honjo wrote:
> > I have read your responses to the other posts above.
> > My suggestion is 1) boot to the CDROM, 2) proceed to New Install not to
> > Recovery Console, and then 3) Select "Repair install" from the menu when
> > displayed.
> >
> > Kaz
> >
> > Stacy wrote:
> >
> >> Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do. I went through the
> >> installation already and when I went to reboot the system to finish
> >> the installation, it won't work.

Gordon

"Stacy" <Stacy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just replaced the hard drive on my computer and now I can't get it
> to load the os.

You have actually re-installed Windows on the new HDD, haven't you?

>I am using home edition sp1. It gets to a black
> screen with a flashing cursor and hangs for a long time. When I
> select to boot up in safe mode, or any mode for that matter, it
> returns to the same place. When I try to boot off the cd it doesn't
> work.

You need to set the BIOS to boot from CD as the first option. Consult your
manufacturer's manual as to how to access the BIOS settings for your
particular motherboard.

I tried the recovery console, but it asks for a password and
> there isn't one set up because we haven't been able to even log on
> yet. Now what do I do? At this point I would love to know how to
> remove the content from the hard drive to start over, but don't know
> what that entails. I was given the option to delete the partition,
> didn't do it and now don't know how I got there the first time.
> Please help me! I need to get this thing up and running asap.

Yes I have installed on new hdd. I can't change the bios as directed because
it doesn't allow me to. When I press F2 during the start up, nothing
happens. The manufacturer of the board claims it is a hdd problem.

"honjo" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> Have you just replaced an old hard drive with a bland new hard drive

Can you get spicey hard drives then? :)

Gordon wrote:
> "honjo" <a@b.c> wrote in message
>

>>Have you just replaced an old hard drive with a bland new hard drive
>

> Can you get spicey hard drives then? :)

It does look nothing exciting. Doesn't it? :) (^_^)

Gordon

Stacy wrote:
> Yes I have installed on new hdd. I can't change the bios as directed
> because it doesn't allow me to. When I press F2 during the start up,
> nothing happens. The manufacturer of the board claims it is a hdd
> problem.

Accessing the BIOS is nothing to do with the HDD as far as I am aware