  • Dell
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
May 2, 2004 9:06:08 PM

Hi group,
I own a Dell 8250, P4 2.66ghz, 512mb ram, running Win XP Pro.
Lately, my pc has been sluggish - not quite as quick as I have expected it
to be. For example, when my cursor moves over items, it takes a second for
things to get highlighted; often there's a lag time in the cursor when I
type text; when I click on an icon to open a website, it "thinks about it"
for a second. I know these are small things, but something just doesn't feel
right. I am not experiencing the quickness when I first plugged in this
system a year ago.

I have enough memory; I'm wondering could it have been an updated video
driver I installed through Windows Update?

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Norton Antivirus, Zonealarm, Spy Sweeper run in the background.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jeff

More about : sluggish computer

Anonymous
May 2, 2004 11:13:49 PM

Jeff Gillan wrote:
> Hi group,
> I own a Dell 8250, P4 2.66ghz, 512mb ram, running Win XP Pro.
> Lately, my pc has been sluggish - not quite as quick as I have
> expected it to be. For example, when my cursor moves over items, it
> takes a second for things to get highlighted; often there's a lag
> time in the cursor when I type text; when I click on an icon to open
> a website, it "thinks about it" for a second. I know these are small
> things, but something just doesn't feel right. I am not experiencing
> the quickness when I first plugged in this system a year ago.
>
> I have enough memory; I'm wondering could it have been an updated
> video driver I installed through Windows Update?
>
> Is there something else I should be looking at?
>
> Norton Antivirus, Zonealarm, Spy Sweeper run in the background.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice,
> Jeff

Spy Sweeper. Run it once in a while, but do not let it autostart.
Start\Run Command, type: msconfig [enter]. Select the startup tab and
review all of the autostart applications and determine if each is really
needed. Use this site as a guide to what each one does:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Also, this site might be of help:

May 3, 2004 11:10:43 PM

"Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox.net> wrote:

>Hi group,
>I own a Dell 8250, P4 2.66ghz, 512mb ram, running Win XP Pro.
>Lately, my pc has been sluggish - not quite as quick as I have expected it
>to be. For example, when my cursor moves over items, it takes a second for
>things to get highlighted; often there's a lag time in the cursor when I
>type text; when I click on an icon to open a website, it "thinks about it"
>for a second. I know these are small things, but something just doesn't feel
>right. I am not experiencing the quickness when I first plugged in this
>system a year ago.
>
>I have enough memory; I'm wondering could it have been an updated video
>driver I installed through Windows Update?
>
>Is there something else I should be looking at?
>
>Norton Antivirus, Zonealarm, Spy Sweeper run in the background.
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice,
>Jeff

Norton Antivirus slowed my computer down somewhat. I prefer to use it only
occasionally and not allways "on". See if similar setting help in your setup.
Anonymous
May 4, 2004 7:19:00 AM

123 <bogus@mail.address.com> coughed up the following:

....[john jacob jingleheimer snip]...

> Norton Antivirus slowed my computer down somewhat. I prefer to use it
> only occasionally and not allways "on". See if similar setting help
> in your setup.

I asked about nav recently in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,
specifically the "auto-protect" feature. There was mixed response about
it, but most agreed that it will slow down your system at least
"slightly", even if you don't have it scan on every single file open you
do.

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of

Forgive me for being dense, Thomas, but "just say no" to what? (In your
sig.)

Rocky

!