sluggish computer

Hi group,
I own a Dell 8250, P4 2.66ghz, 512mb ram, running Win XP Pro.
Lately, my pc has been sluggish - not quite as quick as I have expected it
to be. For example, when my cursor moves over items, it takes a second for
things to get highlighted; often there's a lag time in the cursor when I
type text; when I click on an icon to open a website, it "thinks about it"
for a second. I know these are small things, but something just doesn't feel
right. I am not experiencing the quickness when I first plugged in this
system a year ago.

I have enough memory; I'm wondering could it have been an updated video
driver I installed through Windows Update?

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Norton Antivirus, Zonealarm, Spy Sweeper run in the background.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jeff
4 answers Last reply
More about sluggish computer

    Jeff Gillan wrote:
    > Hi group,
    > I own a Dell 8250, P4 2.66ghz, 512mb ram, running Win XP Pro.
    > Lately, my pc has been sluggish - not quite as quick as I have
    > expected it to be. For example, when my cursor moves over items, it
    > takes a second for things to get highlighted; often there's a lag
    > time in the cursor when I type text; when I click on an icon to open
    > a website, it "thinks about it" for a second. I know these are small
    > things, but something just doesn't feel right. I am not experiencing
    > the quickness when I first plugged in this system a year ago.
    >
    > I have enough memory; I'm wondering could it have been an updated
    > video driver I installed through Windows Update?
    >
    > Is there something else I should be looking at?
    >
    > Norton Antivirus, Zonealarm, Spy Sweeper run in the background.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice,
    > Jeff

    Spy Sweeper. Run it once in a while, but do not let it autostart.
    Start\Run Command, type: msconfig [enter]. Select the startup tab and
    review all of the autostart applications and determine if each is really
    needed. Use this site as a guide to what each one does:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    Also, this site might be of help:

    "Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox.net> wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >I own a Dell 8250, P4 2.66ghz, 512mb ram, running Win XP Pro.
    >Lately, my pc has been sluggish - not quite as quick as I have expected it
    >to be. For example, when my cursor moves over items, it takes a second for
    >things to get highlighted; often there's a lag time in the cursor when I
    >type text; when I click on an icon to open a website, it "thinks about it"
    >for a second. I know these are small things, but something just doesn't feel
    >right. I am not experiencing the quickness when I first plugged in this
    >system a year ago.
    >
    >I have enough memory; I'm wondering could it have been an updated video
    >driver I installed through Windows Update?
    >
    >Is there something else I should be looking at?
    >
    >Norton Antivirus, Zonealarm, Spy Sweeper run in the background.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any advice,
    >Jeff

    Norton Antivirus slowed my computer down somewhat. I prefer to use it only
    occasionally and not allways "on". See if similar setting help in your setup.

    123 <bogus@mail.address.com> coughed up the following:

    ....[john jacob jingleheimer snip]...

    > Norton Antivirus slowed my computer down somewhat. I prefer to use it
    > only occasionally and not allways "on". See if similar setting help
    > in your setup.

    I asked about nav recently in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,
    specifically the "auto-protect" feature. There was mixed response about
    it, but most agreed that it will slow down your system at least
    "slightly", even if you don't have it scan on every single file open you
    do.

    --
    While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
    activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of

    Forgive me for being dense, Thomas, but "just say no" to what? (In your
    sig.)

    Rocky

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    wrote in message news:EYDlc.1747$L8.336@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
    > 123 <bogus@mail.address.com> coughed up the following:
    >
    > ...[john jacob jingleheimer snip]...
    >
    > > Norton Antivirus slowed my computer down somewhat. I prefer to use it
    > > only occasionally and not allways "on". See if similar setting help
    > > in your setup.
    >
    > I asked about nav recently in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,
    > specifically the "auto-protect" feature. There was mixed response about
    > it, but most agreed that it will slow down your system at least
    > "slightly", even if you don't have it scan on every single file open you
    > do.
    >
    > --
    > While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
    > activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
    > someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

Dell Computers