Canon ip4600 Printhead scratches cd & tray

johnahern

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
When I print a CD the printhead scratches all across the tray and cd - can I adjust it? It used to be OK but now it's making a mess and it seems the printhead track is too low.

G

Presumably this printer doesn't only print on CDs. So is there an adjustment to switch between CD and paper stock ?

johnahern

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Presumably this printer doesn't only print on CDs. So is there an adjustment to switch between CD and paper stock ?

Thanks for the reply.
There is no switch - the CD tray feeds into the front and is suppose to set it automatically. It still prints paper perfectly - different area for insertion.
I called Canon to inquire how I could open the printer but they advised against it - 'take it to the tech' but that means a couple of days off work!

G

Canon are probably right -- these days, opening a machine up often isn't just a matter of undoing some screws. Concealed tabs you half wreck the thing finding. Also some are assembled on a jig so reassembly takes three hands.

lapll

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Did you managed to fix this problem?
I bought my mp640 mainly for cd printing and this problem kills me..

johnahern

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Did you managed to fix this problem?
I bought my mp640 mainly for cd printing and this problem kills me..

No, The Canon IP4600 has a a couple of tiny plastic levers - one each side- that automatically lift the print head for CD printing. The one on your right tends to fall out and there is no way to reinsert it without opening the printer which I did not manage to achieve.

So.... bought another new printer, same model and a week later the same thing happened - expired warranty as I got it as a backup a year before and just kept it in it's box - unopened!! J

johnahern

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Those two (ip4600) are now in Printer Hell and I had tried the Canon MP610 to print my disks.
Fantastic! ...but, then it just stopped one day and tried a new printhead.
No success and no solutions ANYWHERE among the thousands of users with the same problem. Back to using the MX870 and will give up on the idea of printing cd's - unless someone can point me in the direction of a foolproof model.
My CIS also had to go in the bin after five years.
Nothing lasts! J