HP Pavillion 751n

I bought an HP Pavillion 751n a couple of years ago... I'm sorry, but it has
turned out to be the worst computer I've ever had the missfortune to own.

Anyway, I finally bought a replacement (mongrel brand). Which works fine.

The hard drive in the HP is shot and I bought a replacement thinking I could
put another drive in and load an XP home (update version) onto it and give it
to my kid.. (the 751n originally came with XP Home but no CD for the Operating
system).

No such luck, the computer wants an OEM version of an OS to authorize the
installation of XP Home Update. I tried to use an original CD for Windows98
as an OEM OS but the computer just started to beep and beep and beep......

Can anyone advise me what I should do? (Other than throwing it in the ocean)

The OEM non-update version of XP Home would not require another OS preinstalled
and it would accept as valid the Certificate of Authentication from the sticker
on the system case. I'm assuming that the computer came originally with XP Home
installed.

HP is so proud of this model that its needle-in-the-haystack web site does not
contain a page of "Product Specifications" for the system. The product specs
usually describe with some decent detail the hardware and software originally
shipped with the system.

Possibly someone locally can provide you with a copy of the XP Home CD, to which
you would be entitled in a logical and sane world, rather than the byzantine
world of Micro$oft software.

I cannot think of any other straightforward way to get the system back to a
useful state... Ben Myers

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 04:56:26 GMT, YanMihell@yahoo.com (Rik) wrote:

>I bought an HP Pavillion 751n a couple of years ago... I'm sorry, but it has
>turned out to be the worst computer I've ever had the missfortune to own.
>
>Anyway, I finally bought a replacement (mongrel brand). Which works fine.
>
>The hard drive in the HP is shot and I bought a replacement thinking I could
>put another drive in and load an XP home (update version) onto it and give it
>to my kid.. (the 751n originally came with XP Home but no CD for the Operating
>system).
>
>No such luck, the computer wants an OEM version of an OS to authorize the
>installation of XP Home Update. I tried to use an original CD for Windows98
>as an OEM OS but the computer just started to beep and beep and beep......
>
>Can anyone advise me what I should do? (Other than throwing it in the ocean)

The reason why the 98 dodnt work is because the disk is formated as ntfs.
What I would do, is try to get a copy of the Xp and, if there are any more
problems with the authorization, call hp. Good luck. X
> The OEM non-update version of XP Home would not require another OS
preinstalled
> and it would accept as valid the Certificate of Authentication from the
sticker
> on the system case. I'm assuming that the computer came originally with
XP Home
> installed.
>
> HP is so proud of this model that its needle-in-the-haystack web site does
not
> contain a page of "Product Specifications" for the system. The product
specs
> usually describe with some decent detail the hardware and software
originally
> shipped with the system.
>
> Possibly someone locally can provide you with a copy of the XP Home CD, to
which
> you would be entitled in a logical and sane world, rather than the
byzantine
> world of Micro$oft software.
>
> I cannot think of any other straightforward way to get the system back to
> useful state... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 04:56:26 GMT, YanMihell@yahoo.com (Rik) wrote:
>
> >I bought an HP Pavillion 751n a couple of years ago... I'm sorry, but it
has
> >turned out to be the worst computer I've ever had the missfortune to own.
> >
> >Anyway, I finally bought a replacement (mongrel brand). Which works fine.
> >
> >The hard drive in the HP is shot and I bought a replacement thinking I
could
> >put another drive in and load an XP home (update version) onto it and
give it
> >to my kid.. (the 751n originally came with XP Home but no CD for the
Operating
> >system).
> >
> >No such luck, the computer wants an OEM version of an OS to authorize the
> >installation of XP Home Update. I tried to use an original CD for
Windows98
> >as an OEM OS but the computer just started to beep and beep and
beep......

> >Can anyone advise me what I should do? (Other than throwing it in the
ocean)

Ah, yes! Good point about NTFS. The OP could always re-partition and reformat
with FAT32, then attempt the XP Home Upgrade. Far better to get a CD of the OEM
version of XP Home to match the Windows XP COA sticker already on the machine.

.... Ben Myers