red shield-antivirus not enabled warning pop up

using xp home, sp2, dell 4600 desktop 1.33 years old. 3 users. norton AV
2004.

upon logging onto a user, i see a small red shield in the system tray and a
pop up balloon advisory stating the antivirus isn't enabled, but they
immediately disappear as soon as the norton AV is finished loading.

this has only appeared after performing a routine scan with spybot search &
destroy, & removing an item detected by spybot. it was a windows-microsoft
item. as soon as i completed the removal, the red shield with pop up started
showing up.

sensing i removed an important item, i immediately restored it back with
spybot's recovery. possibly a false positive item. rescans no longer detect
it, even though it's restored. the restoration of the item didn't prevent
red shield & pop up from continuing to view upon logon. also, if i manually
disable the norton, the red shield & pop up view.

the shield & pop up wasn't seen prior to doing the recent scan with spybot,
& the removal of the item.

i went to security center, & viewed settings & saw one for the "warn if
antivirus not enabled". it was checked.

if i uncheck this box, will this disable that red shield & pop up?

i do like the warning, but sometimes when i log off a user, & return back to
another user, the shield & pop up appears, even though norton is up &
running.

looking for some general feed back, & whether this is a normal & desirable
security warning feature. or was something changed to have this red shield.

thank you, len kiesling
3 answers Last reply
More about shield antivirus enabled warning

    Uncheck it and you will be fine. Just make sure you keep your anti-virus up
    to date. After you uncheck it spybot will detect that reg key again just
    tell it to ignore/exclude it.

    "Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net> wrote in
    message news:eFjp%23jMqFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > using xp home, sp2, dell 4600 desktop 1.33 years old. 3 users. norton AV
    > 2004.
    >
    > upon logging onto a user, i see a small red shield in the system tray and
    > pop up balloon advisory stating the antivirus isn't enabled, but they
    > immediately disappear as soon as the norton AV is finished loading.
    >
    > this has only appeared after performing a routine scan with spybot search
    > &
    > destroy, & removing an item detected by spybot. it was a windows-microsoft
    > item. as soon as i completed the removal, the red shield with pop up
    > started
    > showing up.
    >
    > sensing i removed an important item, i immediately restored it back with
    > spybot's recovery. possibly a false positive item. rescans no longer
    > detect
    > it, even though it's restored. the restoration of the item didn't prevent
    > red shield & pop up from continuing to view upon logon. also, if i
    > manually
    > disable the norton, the red shield & pop up view.
    >
    > the shield & pop up wasn't seen prior to doing the recent scan with
    > spybot,
    > & the removal of the item.
    >
    > i went to security center, & viewed settings & saw one for the "warn if
    > antivirus not enabled". it was checked.
    >
    > if i uncheck this box, will this disable that red shield & pop up?
    >
    > i do like the warning, but sometimes when i log off a user, & return back
    > another user, the shield & pop up appears, even though norton is up &
    > running.
    >
    > looking for some general feed back, & whether this is a normal & desirable
    > security warning feature. or was something changed to have this red
    > shield.
    >
    > thank you, len kiesling

    thank you for quick-clear reply! again this news group comes thru!!!
    len kiesling

    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    > Uncheck it and you will be fine. Just make sure you keep your anti-virus
    up
    > to date. After you uncheck it spybot will detect that reg key again just
    > tell it to ignore/exclude it.

    > "Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net> wrote in
    > message news:eFjp%23jMqFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > using xp home, sp2, dell 4600 desktop 1.33 years old. 3 users. norton AV
    > > 2004.
    > >
    > > upon logging onto a user, i see a small red shield in the system tray
    and
    > > pop up balloon advisory stating the antivirus isn't enabled, but they
    > > immediately disappear as soon as the norton AV is finished loading.
    > >
    > > this has only appeared after performing a routine scan with spybot
    search
    > > &
    > > destroy, & removing an item detected by spybot. it was a
    windows-microsoft
    > > item. as soon as i completed the removal, the red shield with pop up
    > > started
    > > showing up.
    > >
    > > sensing i removed an important item, i immediately restored it back with
    > > spybot's recovery. possibly a false positive item. rescans no longer
    > > detect
    > > it, even though it's restored. the restoration of the item didn't
    prevent
    > > red shield & pop up from continuing to view upon logon. also, if i
    > > manually
    > > disable the norton, the red shield & pop up view.
    > >
    > > the shield & pop up wasn't seen prior to doing the recent scan with
    > > spybot,
    > > & the removal of the item.
    > >
    > > i went to security center, & viewed settings & saw one for the "warn if
    > > antivirus not enabled". it was checked.
    > >
    > > if i uncheck this box, will this disable that red shield & pop up?
    > >
    > > i do like the warning, but sometimes when i log off a user, & return
    back
    > > another user, the shield & pop up appears, even though norton is up &
    > > running.
    > >
    > > looking for some general feed back, & whether this is a normal &
    desirable
    > > security warning feature. or was something changed to have this red
    > > shield.
    > >
    > > thank you, len kiesling

    You're welcome.

    "Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net> wrote in
    message news:OS4f28NqFHA.1040@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > thank you for quick-clear reply! again this news group comes thru!!!
    > len kiesling
    >
    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> Uncheck it and you will be fine. Just make sure you keep your anti-virus
    > up
    >> to date. After you uncheck it spybot will detect that reg key again just
    >> tell it to ignore/exclude it.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net> wrote in
    >> message news:eFjp%23jMqFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> > using xp home, sp2, dell 4600 desktop 1.33 years old. 3 users. norton
    >> > AV
    >> > 2004.
    >> >
    >> > upon logging onto a user, i see a small red shield in the system tray
    > and
    >> > pop up balloon advisory stating the antivirus isn't enabled, but they
    >> > immediately disappear as soon as the norton AV is finished loading.
    >> >
    >> > this has only appeared after performing a routine scan with spybot
    > search
    >> > &
    >> > destroy, & removing an item detected by spybot. it was a
    > windows-microsoft
    >> > item. as soon as i completed the removal, the red shield with pop up
    >> > started
    >> > showing up.
    >> >
    >> > sensing i removed an important item, i immediately restored it back
    >> > with
    >> > spybot's recovery. possibly a false positive item. rescans no longer
    >> > detect
    >> > it, even though it's restored. the restoration of the item didn't
    > prevent
    >> > red shield & pop up from continuing to view upon logon. also, if i
    >> > manually
    >> > disable the norton, the red shield & pop up view.
    >> >
    >> > the shield & pop up wasn't seen prior to doing the recent scan with
    >> > spybot,
    >> > & the removal of the item.
    >> >
    >> > i went to security center, & viewed settings & saw one for the "warn if
    >> > antivirus not enabled". it was checked.
    >> >
    >> > if i uncheck this box, will this disable that red shield & pop up?
    >> >
    >> > i do like the warning, but sometimes when i log off a user, & return
    > back
    >> > another user, the shield & pop up appears, even though norton is up &
    >> > running.
    >> >
    >> > looking for some general feed back, & whether this is a normal &
    > desirable
    >> > security warning feature. or was something changed to have this red
    >> > shield.
    >> >
    >> > thank you, len kiesling

Antivirus Windows XP