red shield-antivirus not enabled warning pop up

using xp home, sp2, dell 4600 desktop 1.33 years old. 3 users. norton AV
2004.

upon logging onto a user, i see a small red shield in the system tray and a
pop up balloon advisory stating the antivirus isn't enabled, but they
immediately disappear as soon as the norton AV is finished loading.

this has only appeared after performing a routine scan with spybot search &
destroy, & removing an item detected by spybot. it was a windows-microsoft
item. as soon as i completed the removal, the red shield with pop up started
showing up.

sensing i removed an important item, i immediately restored it back with
spybot's recovery. possibly a false positive item. rescans no longer detect
it, even though it's restored. the restoration of the item didn't prevent
red shield & pop up from continuing to view upon logon. also, if i manually
disable the norton, the red shield & pop up view.

the shield & pop up wasn't seen prior to doing the recent scan with spybot,
& the removal of the item.

i went to security center, & viewed settings & saw one for the "warn if
antivirus not enabled". it was checked.

if i uncheck this box, will this disable that red shield & pop up?

i do like the warning, but sometimes when i log off a user, & return back to
another user, the shield & pop up appears, even though norton is up &
running.

looking for some general feed back, & whether this is a normal & desirable
security warning feature. or was something changed to have this red shield.

thank you, len kiesling

Uncheck it and you will be fine. Just make sure you keep your anti-virus up
to date. After you uncheck it spybot will detect that reg key again just
tell it to ignore/exclude it.

"Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net> wrote in
message news:eFjp%23jMqFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> using xp home, sp2, dell 4600 desktop 1.33 years old. 3 users. norton AV
> 2004.
>
> upon logging onto a user, i see a small red shield in the system tray and
> pop up balloon advisory stating the antivirus isn't enabled, but they
> immediately disappear as soon as the norton AV is finished loading.
>
> this has only appeared after performing a routine scan with spybot search
> &
> destroy, & removing an item detected by spybot. it was a windows-microsoft
> item. as soon as i completed the removal, the red shield with pop up
> started
> showing up.
>
> sensing i removed an important item, i immediately restored it back with
> spybot's recovery. possibly a false positive item. rescans no longer
> detect
> it, even though it's restored. the restoration of the item didn't prevent
> red shield & pop up from continuing to view upon logon. also, if i
> manually
> disable the norton, the red shield & pop up view.
>
> the shield & pop up wasn't seen prior to doing the recent scan with
> spybot,
> & the removal of the item.
>
> i went to security center, & viewed settings & saw one for the "warn if
> antivirus not enabled". it was checked.
>
> if i uncheck this box, will this disable that red shield & pop up?
>
> i do like the warning, but sometimes when i log off a user, & return back
> another user, the shield & pop up appears, even though norton is up &
> running.
>
> looking for some general feed back, & whether this is a normal & desirable
> security warning feature. or was something changed to have this red
> shield.
>
> thank you, len kiesling

thank you for quick-clear reply! again this news group comes thru!!!
len kiesling

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> Uncheck it and you will be fine. Just make sure you keep your anti-virus
up
> to date. After you uncheck it spybot will detect that reg key again just
> tell it to ignore/exclude it.

> "Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net> wrote in
> message news:eFjp%23jMqFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > using xp home, sp2, dell 4600 desktop 1.33 years old. 3 users. norton AV
> > 2004.
> >
> > upon logging onto a user, i see a small red shield in the system tray
and
> > pop up balloon advisory stating the antivirus isn't enabled, but they
> > immediately disappear as soon as the norton AV is finished loading.
> >
> > this has only appeared after performing a routine scan with spybot
search
> > &
> > destroy, & removing an item detected by spybot. it was a
windows-microsoft
> > item. as soon as i completed the removal, the red shield with pop up
> > started
> > showing up.
> >
> > sensing i removed an important item, i immediately restored it back with
> > spybot's recovery. possibly a false positive item. rescans no longer
> > detect
> > it, even though it's restored. the restoration of the item didn't
prevent
> > red shield & pop up from continuing to view upon logon. also, if i
> > manually
> > disable the norton, the red shield & pop up view.
> >
> > the shield & pop up wasn't seen prior to doing the recent scan with
> > spybot,
> > & the removal of the item.
> >
> > i went to security center, & viewed settings & saw one for the "warn if
> > antivirus not enabled". it was checked.
> >
> > if i uncheck this box, will this disable that red shield & pop up?
> >
> > i do like the warning, but sometimes when i log off a user, & return
back
> > another user, the shield & pop up appears, even though norton is up &
> > running.
> >
> > looking for some general feed back, & whether this is a normal &
desirable
> > security warning feature. or was something changed to have this red
> > shield.
> >
> > thank you, len kiesling

You're welcome.

"Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net> wrote in