Steve Ritchie's Personal eBay Auction

It's for his own Elvis...

http://tinyurl.com/aql3x

Kinda neat...
Jeff

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.
65 answers Last reply
More about steve ritchie personal ebay auction

    see? The term "better than new" IS real!

    " This means that all switches have been adjusted for optimal correct play
    and countless other adjustments that translate to smoother and more
    satisfying play that assembly line manufacturing can never attain during
    production. "

    <abc123nospam@iquest.net> wrote in message
    > It's for his own Elvis...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/aql3x
    >
    > Kinda neat...
    > Jeff
    >
    > S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html
    >
    > My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/
    >
    > Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.

    > all switches have been adjusted for optimal correct play and countless other adjustments

    Wow!

    Well if you are going to have a guy tweak your game for optimum
    play...who better than the designer himself!

    Barry - NY

    Wow!! Very cool and I'm really not a Stern fan or an Elvis fan but
    this would be a cool piece to have. I wouldn't know where to start
    when it came to him autographing things on the game. Backglass,
    Sideart, playfield under apron and maybe inside cabinet? What would
    you have him sign if you won the auction?
    Lewis

    I'd have him sign my forehead if I won the auction. Or was that my
    forearm?

    I would buy an extra translight to have him sign.

    Charlie L.

    lewben11@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Wow!! Very cool and I'm really not a Stern fan or an Elvis fan but
    > this would be a cool piece to have. I wouldn't know where to start
    > when it came to him autographing things on the game. Backglass,
    > Sideart, playfield under apron and maybe inside cabinet? What would
    > you have him sign if you won the auction?

    The games I've had him sign have all been signed under the playfield.
    lift playfield, bam! signature.

    I knew someone would go there - you have the dubious distinction of
    being the one! Like every American man my age, mine was forcibly
    removed before I was able to put up a fight. In fact, my mother tried
    to prevent it, but it was too late - the doctor had already brissed
    me...

    man stern didn't even give him a gold one?

    Does it seem odd the poor guy only has room for 1 pin? Aren't they
    paying him enough to buy a few project games for the garage!?!

    nomad

    > Aren't they paying him enough to buy a few project games for the garage!?!

    Why mess with projects when you can build your own from scratch!

    Barry - NY

    I'd have him sign my bacon and peanut butter grease sandwich :)

    (In my best Elvis voice) Thank you!!! Thank you very much!!!

    It seems odd to me that he designs games in Chicago and has this game
    at his office.

    In Hollister, California.

    Maybe I just don't know/missed something.

    Andrew

    maybe he works from home.....

    >From what I understand, Steve Ritchie is a big dirt bike fan. The
    California Off-Road State Park, 'Hollister Hills' is located in
    Hollister. I worked on another CA off-road park, Carnegie, and both
    are a dirt bikers dream. At one time, I think SR was making a
    documentary there, but I could be mistaken.

    Like the others said, he is probably just working from home.

    Steve

    normandie74@hotmail.com wrote:
    > It seems odd to me that he designs games in Chicago and has this game
    > at his office.
    >
    > In Hollister, California.
    >
    > Maybe I just don't know/missed something.

    A lot of the design is done in California. But when it comes time to
    put the screws to the wood, THAT'S done in Chicago.

    > Wow!! Very cool and I'm really not a Stern fan or an Elvis fan but
    > this would be a cool piece to have. I wouldn't know where to start
    > when it came to him autographing things on the game. Backglass,
    > Sideart, playfield under apron and maybe inside cabinet? What would
    > you have him sign if you won the auction?

    I'm not a big fan of signatures on anything especially if you can see it in
    plain view. But, if I was forced to have him sign something...the bottom of
    the cabinet, under the playfield and/or under the apron on the pf and that's
    about it

    --
    Mike S.
    Kalamazoo, MI

    Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    deafdumb&blindboy wrote:

    >I knew someone would go there - you have the dubious distinction of
    >being the one! Like every American man my age, mine was forcibly
    >removed before I was able to put up a fight. In fact, my mother tried
    >to prevent it, but it was too late - the doctor had already brissed
    >me...

    Well, then that sort of makes you "deafdumbblind&forciblyclippedboy", I
    guess. ;-)

    Rick Swanson

    Nah, he probably wanted the better looking one! :)

    --
    Fred
    TX

    <seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote

    > man stern didn't even give him a gold one?

    That's the fact - all the manufacturing has traditionally been in
    Chicago. So the design can be done anywhere you have a computer. And
    Hollister, and the Hollister Ranch area, is a great place to live if
    you are into seclusion, dirt bikes, or surfing for that matter - "The
    Ranch" is home to miles of privately owned beach with no public access
    and world renowned breaks. Plus it's close to Santa Barbara for
    anything one might need, but not too close. The only things it is too
    close to is Neverland and Vandenburg AFB. Vandenburg because that is
    where they fire off large rockets (although the resultant sun dogs are
    spectacular) and Neverland, well, that's obvious. But yeah, Hollister
    is a great place to live if you can afford to. And I imagine his office
    is just a room in his home or something very simple that he can write
    off of his taxes.

    On 14 Jul 2005 09:38:08 -0700, seymour-shabow@excite.com wrote:

    >man stern didn't even give him a gold one?

    maybe he chose the original over the gold, i know i would.

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:03:06 GMT, abc123nospam@iquest.net
    (abc123nospam@iquest.net) wrote:

    >It's for his own Elvis...
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/aql3x

    Guess he doesn't buy/sell a lot on ebay... ID created in 1999 and no
    feedback!

    Steve listed a bunch of neat stuff years ago on eBay, a drafting table
    he used to design games, hand drawn playfield drawings/diagrams for
    several of his games etc. I don't know if any of them ever sold. Alas,
    no drawings or diagrams of Rollergames, or I'd have them :)

    If I could afford this and had a way to pick it up, I'd be all over it.

    I guess I should consider myself lucky having 4 of Steve's pins in my
    basement when he only has room for 1!

    -

    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    Ben wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:03:06 GMT, abc123nospam@iquest.net
    > (abc123nospam@iquest.net) wrote:
    >

    >>It's for his own Elvis...
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/aql3x
    >

    > Guess he doesn't buy/sell a lot on ebay... ID created in 1999 and no
    > feedback!

    You have to remember Steve was out here in California when Atari was in
    Sunnyvale. Hollister just had the bikers through for a weekend
    celebration. I live 10 miles from there and Matt Christiano is just a
    short drive south, at Paicines Ranch, home of the Ranch-Fix-A-Thon.

    I have games over there, in the San Andreas Brewery. Let me clarify
    one thing right off the bat. We're miles away from Vandenberg, Santa
    Barbara, and Neverland Ranch! About 175 miles away to say the least.

    I have seen Steve on occasion locally but have never spoken with him
    when I do. He always seems like a man on a mission. At EXPO I noticed
    he spotted me, and I could see he was thinking, "why do I know that
    guy?" I love it when I do that to people. People forget that you have
    been to thier homes to fix games.

    This would be a nice game to grab for even me, but I just blew a bundle
    on driveway work and a TSPP. They say timing is everything.

    If you could pick your venue to design games, Hollister is the better
    place to think, without distractions.

    Mario
    Pinthetic

    Lloyd Olson wrote:
    > He works in the industry, it might not be his hobby. Quickest way to get
    > stale is not have other interests. LTG :)
    >
    > "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Does it seem odd the poor guy only has room for 1 pin? Aren't they
    > > paying him enough to buy a few project games for the garage!?!
    > >
    > > nomad

    Dude..

    HH has a lot to do with why I live in Hollister. For those who don't
    know it, I work on my games at home in CA, and also spend a lot of time
    at Stern in Melrose Park. You are correct sir. I started a
    documentary, but decided against it when I found out how much it would
    cost.......So what did you do at Carnegie? Were you a Ranger?
    Actually the smokin' dirt bikers' dream is Clear Creek and 1000 bitchin
    trails in the Sierras, in the National Forests. Twain Harte, for
    instance. Beautiful, rugged, and not so damn many riders. This is my
    first post in years, I guess it was time.....

    People forget that you have
    been to thier homes to fix games.

    Let me clarify I meant other people, not Steve Ritchie. I'm sure he
    can fix his own games!
    :-)

    Mario
    Pinthetic

    You have got that right, Pinlicious. Elvis looks clean in Black, and
    it works better with the artwork..My 4th post in what, 10 years?
    You are still fiesty, but know your pinball...concur totally with
    shipping methods.....you never
    know what happens to "Your Precious" when the semi-trailer doors close,
    what the handlers/drivers
    do to your game on the road.......

    Steve

    The "Hollister Ranch" is something I don't know about, but I will tell
    you that Hollister, CA is 450 miles
    from Neverland, and Vandenburg AFB, LA LA Land, and 350 from Santa
    Barbara. Maybe the "Hollister Ranch" is named after somebody
    with the last name "Hollister". Hollister CA is almost
    dead-center-state between North and South CA borders, and 40 miles East
    of the coastal city of Monterey.

    We got farms. We got Ranches. We got Rodeos. We got a big Biker's
    Rally. We got dirt bikin'. We got no new homes going up, because our
    sewer system is maxed out. I like that. A moratorium on building
    means a reasonable population, less crime, less traffic and escalating
    home values. There are about 20 houses for sale in Holllister today,
    and all at ridiculous prices. My friends' houses have sold in 2-3
    days, and they all wish they had asked a higher price. People are
    dying to live here because the climate is awesome..never gets below 30
    (4 days a year, maybe)...and on the same day, could go to 80..IN
    JANUARY!!!! Only a few days over 100, 5-7 degrees cooler than San
    Jose, Gilroy and other places nearby. Go 20 miles inland and the temps
    go to 90's and 100's pretty much every day in July, Aug, Sept. I'm
    lucky to live here, but got in when it was still cheap...not any more.
    Gotta run.

    WOW... That's great Steve It's nice to know that for someone that
    has brought so much fun and entertainment to so many is doing well and
    being rewarded in life in turn...

    Don....

    <Backglass@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > all switches have been adjusted for optimal correct play and countless
    other adjustments

    > Wow!
    >
    > Well if you are going to have a guy tweak your game for optimum
    > play...who better than the designer himself!
    >
    > Barry - NY

    With Steve yes. Other designers - maybe. Some guys are way better designers
    than tweakers. I repaired a board that one designer tweaked, his soldering
    looked like garlic clove shaped blobs. LTG :)

    Welcome back SR! <bows in respect and exits>

    John!

    kingndi@aol.com wrote:
    > Dude..
    >
    > HH has a lot to do with why I live in Hollister. For those who don't
    > know it, I work on my games at home in CA, and also spend a lot of time
    > at Stern in Melrose Park. You are correct sir. I started a
    > documentary, but decided against it when I found out how much it would
    > cost.......So what did you do at Carnegie? Were you a Ranger?
    > Actually the smokin' dirt bikers' dream is Clear Creek and 1000 bitchin
    > trails in the Sierras, in the National Forests. Twain Harte, for
    > instance. Beautiful, rugged, and not so damn many riders. This is my
    > first post in years, I guess it was time.....

    So tempting, oh so tempting!! My wife and I really liked Elvis when we
    played it on vacation...I only live a couple hours away and could
    easily go and pick it up...I really want a game with drop targets.
    Only problem is the cash I just spent on a TOM. Why is Steve Ritchie
    doing this to me???

    kingndi@aol.com wrote:
    > Dude..
    >
    > HH has a lot to do with why I live in Hollister. For those who don't
    > know it, I work on my games at home in CA, and also spend a lot of time
    > at Stern in Melrose Park. You are correct sir. I started a
    > documentary, but decided against it when I found out how much it would
    > cost.......So what did you do at Carnegie? Were you a Ranger?
    > Actually the smokin' dirt bikers' dream is Clear Creek and 1000 bitchin
    > trails in the Sierras, in the National Forests. Twain Harte, for
    > instance. Beautiful, rugged, and not so damn many riders. This is my
    > first post in years, I guess it was time.....

    Steve,

    I was the superintendent in charge of building the maintenance facility
    (a really incredible shop), the ranger station, the park's perimeter
    fence (5 1/2 miles), and did most of the lower road work. That project
    kept me at Carnegie for over a year. I got to know the park and the
    rangers really well. Unfortunately, I'm the SOB who fenced off that
    great canyon on the North end of the park (nicknamed the Rubicon). I
    didn't have any choice, the State made me do it. Glad to hear that you
    are taking advantage of the CA parks.

    Enjoy the riding at HH,

    Steve (in Escalon)

    Steve,

    I'd be curious to know since you are selling Elvis. Do you have a
    gameroom at all? If so, what pins are in it?

    Al

    Hey Mario,

    I didn't know that you were that close, and if you saw me, you should
    have said something. I always look
    intense, because I am intense, but so what....that's how I am, can't
    help it. I always like to talk to pinheads. You had a NF in SAB for a
    long time, is it still there?

    Steve

    Hey Mario,

    I didn't know that you were that close, and if you saw me, you should
    have said something. I always look
    intense, because I am intense, but so what....that's how I am, can't
    help it. I always like to talk to pinheads. You had a NF in SAB for a
    long time, is it still there?

    Steve

    Hey Steve,

    NF is sitting right behind me as I type. It's shop time for it. At
    SAB currently is T3, ES, TAF, and CBW. NF will make a return to the
    Brewery when I get off my duff. Since this is earthquake country I am
    not allowed to remove ES for any other reason than to shop it. If
    you're about town some Sunday morning and see a white Ranger parked
    next to the large side window, stop in and say hello. The owners would
    love to meet the man who designed "the Governor", as they call T3.

    I'll take you up on your offer to break your concentration, and say
    hello, when we cross paths again. I'm passing on EXPO this year. Will
    be at CA Extreme in a few weeks.

    Mario
    Pinthetic

    On 14 Jvl 2005 15:11:26 -0700, kingndi@aol.com wrote:

    >Yov have got that right, Pinliciovs. Elvis looks clean in Black, and
    >it works better with the artwork..

    yov know it!

    My 4th post in what, 10 years?

    it wovld be nice if yov covld chime in once a year and give a little
    "state of the vnion" on yovr cvrrent design once it goes into
    prodvction. a covple of pics and fvnny qvotes showing the design,
    whitewood, even art options. that wovld really be neat :-)

    >Yov are still fiesty,

    >:-D

    bvt know yovr pinball

    thank yov.

    ....concvr totally with
    >shipping methods.....yov never
    >know what happens to "Yovr Preciovs" when the semi-trailer doors close,
    >what the handlers/drivers
    >do to yovr game on the road.......

    it's all abovt risk/reward. knowing how to pack a pin can eliminate
    some of the risk.

    like me having a hs2 shipped to me from across the covntry jvst last
    week. that is a big reward, i was willing to take the risk :-D

    take some pics along the way on this one and maybe we can throw a
    small blog together on the design process. i know "I" wovld love some
    extra insight (wink, wink :-)

    ride safe...and hard!

    Pinliciovs ( ...there is no spoon.)
    (who still prefers the pavement over the dirt ;-)

    On 14 Jul 2005 21:04:14 -0700, kingndi@aol.com wrote:

    >Hey Mario,
    >
    >I didn't know that you were that close, and if you saw me, you should
    >have said something. I always look
    >intense, because I am intense, but so what....that's how I am, can't
    >help it. I always like to talk to pinheads.

    i can chime in on that.
    hell, boag held steve, his brother, and lyman hostage for hours in the
    lobby at expo after the bar closed discussing pinball into the wee
    hours. not sure if pete was a hostage as well or was in cahoots
    playing good cop at the time ;-)

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    You had a NF in SAB for a

    <kingndi@aol.com> wrote in message
    > The "Hollister Ranch" is something I don't know about, but I will tell
    > you that Hollister, CA is 450 miles
    > from Neverland, and Vandenburg AFB, LA LA Land, and 350 from Santa
    > Barbara. Maybe the "Hollister Ranch" is named after somebody
    > with the last name "Hollister". Hollister CA is almost
    > dead-center-state between North and South CA borders, and 40 miles East
    > of the coastal city of Monterey.

    I know you're a dirt bike buy, but did you catch the MotoGP race at Laguna
    last weekend? If not, you missed something special.

    Michael

    On 2005-07-14 14:47:34 -0700, kingndi@aol.com said:

    > Dude..
    >
    > HH has a lot to do with why I live in Hollister. For those who don't
    > know it, I work on my games at home in CA, and also spend a lot of time
    > at Stern in Melrose Park. You are correct sir. I started a
    > documentary, but decided against it when I found out how much it would
    > cost.......So what did you do at Carnegie? Were you a Ranger?
    > Actually the smokin' dirt bikers' dream is Clear Creek and 1000 bitchin
    > trails in the Sierras, in the National Forests. Twain Harte, for
    > instance. Beautiful, rugged, and not so damn many riders. This is my
    > first post in years, I guess it was time.....

    Good to see you're back Steve. I had the pleasure of trading emails
    with Steve several years back when I had some High Speed questions and
    he went out of his way to help me out and was truly a nice guy. I saw
    him at Ca. Extreme a couple years ago also and we talked briefly, it
    was an honor just to associate with the guy who made the games I grew
    up playing and is responsible for my desire for pinball over the last
    20+ years

    Steve is definitely an idol of mine.

    --
    Pins - M*M - M*B - A*FM - R*FM - ST*TNG - L*OTR - R*F

    Vids - D*nkey Kong

    Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C - C*V - W*H20

    I'll be CA Extreme also. See you there,

    I wish I was close enogh to buy it in person. I am a big fan of his
    games, like many others! I would love to meet him in person and have
    him autograph it. What a great oppurtunity for someone! Too bad it
    wasn't a Gold one.

    Rob

    Take Care Steve !!
    Drop back in on us when you get the Time, Always Great Seeing
    my HERO
    Posting on RGP !!

    Pin-Del, =)

    <kingndi@aol.com> wrote:
    > I'll be CA Extreme also. See you there,

    Ah- see- I was on the fence, but now I'm definitely going to the show!

    See y'all there!

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    Wow, Mr. Ritchie is a California neighbor and will be at CA Extreme.
    Wonder if I can get the wife to let me attend with my ST next gen
    backglass. Very cool. Still, with the new-born, best to get it down:

    Thanks to Steve for lots of fun games! There's a well worn No Fear and
    the Copland's Sports at Stonestown that I play when I happen to be
    there. Still plays pretty fast and still much fun. And, of course,
    thanks for my most favorite running combo shot ever--the Picard
    Manuver! Awesome.

    My pleasure to buy lunch anytime in S.F., anyplace you like--even Aqua.
    Just fair repayment for fun times I say.

    Looking forward, like everyone else, to see what you come up with next.

    -JC-

    kingndi@aol.com wrote:
    > I'll be CA Extreme also. See you there,

    Glad to be back Del, thanks.

    I'm sure you are right. MotoGP hasn't visited this country in a long
    time, and I am sure that the racing was great. Did Valentino Rossi
    win? I have a street bike also, but it's an '89 Honda Transalp, more
    for dirt roads and street...hey are we supposed to be talking about
    this here???? Sorry.

    I don't have a game room in this house, Al. It didn't come with a barn
    like my last house,
    not many basements in CA (earthquakes..little ones every day here, and
    I'm not kidding), my garage is full,
    I park my cars in it, and my wife won't let me put them in any other
    room, but, it wouldn't
    be appropriate anyway, so I agree to it.

    I have room for one in my office and T3 is in our "library", but not
    for long. It looks funny in there,
    even I think so.

    *Also*

    I probably don't feel the same way about collecting games as you guys
    do. I like the design challenge and expressing
    creativity, and just like every other crazed artist, it makes me happy
    if people like my games. I love playing them
    just like you do, but I also like to move on to the next thing. I do
    like to go back to them and play from time to
    time.

    When I work on the same pinball design for a year, it gets a little
    old. At 55, I have been at this 30 years. My kids are pretty much
    gone. We are trying to shrink the quantity of stuff we have. My Elvis
    is like new. It plays great. I am the only one who plays it except
    when people come over. I clean it, and then it sits for a couple
    weeks. Time for someone else to enjoy it. Soon my T3 will be on the
    block too.

    Steve

    On 15 Jul 2005 23:55:54 -0700, kingndi@aol.com wrote:

    [...]

    >I probably don't feel the same way about collecting games as you guys
    >do. I like the design challenge and expressing
    >creativity, and just like every other crazed artist, it makes me happy
    >if people like my games. I love playing them
    >just like you do, but I also like to move on to the next thing. I do
    >like to go back to them and play from time to
    >time.

    That's what often happens when a hobby becomes a job. Happened to me
    with cars and again with computers. When a hobby becomes a career
    obsession gets swallowed up by the crunch to get the job done.

Games Email Ebay Video Games