Unwanted startup messages

I would appreciate if anyone can advise as to the easiest way to get rid of
unwanted messages appearing evert time I reboot the PC.
At the moment I get a message from McAfee spamkiller advising that my
subscription has expired.
I wish to keep the program installed to use the filters but do not wish to
renew a subscription as being prompted.
The second message I get is a windows message stating that my new hardware
(PCI Input device !) may not have installed properly and this in turn throws
up the new hardware wizard box showing a problem.
To the best of my knowledge everything appears to be working fine on the PC
and is not causing a problem although to be honest I don't know what the PCI
input device mentioned is about.
The messages themselves are proving more annoying and I would therefore
appreciate any advice as to the easiest and best way to get rid of them
appearing every time I start the PC.

Thanks - Rob.
1 answer Last reply
More about unwanted startup messages

    Try going into your "msconfig" (type this into your "run" option) Then under
    the startup tab look for items (software) in your computers comon startup
    location and uncheck the one(s) that have anything to do with McAfee
    Spamkiller. This will not compeletly remedy the the program stoped, but it
    should keep the dialog box from starting up when you boot-up. I think you
    will still need updates for the filters to work in the future. As for your
    PCI Input device, you may have either removed a modem/sound card/nic card
    related hardware in one of your PCI slots and did this before uninstalling
    the drivers for the card. Or, its possible that one of your PCI card devices
    is missing a driver or needs a updated driver to stop this message from
    showing up each time you re-boot. Its also possible that on of your PCI cards
    is not fully seated and installed into the PCI card slot on the motherboard
    too.

    "Eos" wrote:

    > I would appreciate if anyone can advise as to the easiest way to get rid of
    > unwanted messages appearing evert time I reboot the PC.
    > At the moment I get a message from McAfee spamkiller advising that my
    > subscription has expired.
    > I wish to keep the program installed to use the filters but do not wish to
    > renew a subscription as being prompted.
    > The second message I get is a windows message stating that my new hardware
    > (PCI Input device !) may not have installed properly and this in turn throws
    > up the new hardware wizard box showing a problem.
    > To the best of my knowledge everything appears to be working fine on the PC
    > and is not causing a problem although to be honest I don't know what the PCI
    > input device mentioned is about.
    > The messages themselves are proving more annoying and I would therefore
    > appreciate any advice as to the easiest and best way to get rid of them
    > appearing every time I start the PC.
    >
    > Thanks - Rob.

Windows XP