Acronis TrueImage question

Following suggestions here I've purchased Acronis TrueImage 8.0 and
I'm generally happy with it, with the MAJOR exception that there's
no true help file, only a semi-searchable PDF user manual. I can't
find how to do what I'm trying to do, so I turn to the group for
assistance.

I have four partitions, C through F. My external USB hard drive is,
naturally, G. I want to do a full backup of each partition to a
separate file on G, not all four partitions to a common file. Is
there some way to automate this process in Acronis and walk away?
Otherwise I pretty much have to be present to start up the next
operation every few minutes.

There must be _some_ way, because the Acronis window shows progress
for "Operation 1 or 1". That implies it must be possible to queue up
multiple operations; but I can't figure out how. Can you point out
the obvious thing I'm missing?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
17 answers Last reply
More about acronis trueimage question

    Check the Manual for Scheduling

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > Following suggestions here I've purchased Acronis TrueImage 8.0 and
    > I'm generally happy with it, with the MAJOR exception that there's
    > no true help file, only a semi-searchable PDF user manual. I can't
    > find how to do what I'm trying to do, so I turn to the group for
    > assistance.
    >
    > I have four partitions, C through F. My external USB hard drive is,
    > naturally, G. I want to do a full backup of each partition to a
    > separate file on G, not all four partitions to a common file. Is
    > there some way to automate this process in Acronis and walk away?
    > Otherwise I pretty much have to be present to start up the next
    > operation every few minutes.
    >
    > There must be _some_ way, because the Acronis window shows progress
    > for "Operation 1 or 1". That implies it must be possible to queue up
    > multiple operations; but I can't figure out how. Can you point out
    > the obvious thing I'm missing?

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    > -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

    FWIW - the Acronis forums are a wealth of knowledge about these sort of
    things. I automatically backup 2 hard drives (using separate files) to my
    USB drive using the Scheduler without a problem.

    "Stan Brown" wrote:

    > Following suggestions here I've purchased Acronis TrueImage 8.0 and
    > I'm generally happy with it, with the MAJOR exception that there's
    > no true help file, only a semi-searchable PDF user manual. I can't
    > find how to do what I'm trying to do, so I turn to the group for
    > assistance.
    >
    > I have four partitions, C through F. My external USB hard drive is,
    > naturally, G. I want to do a full backup of each partition to a
    > separate file on G, not all four partitions to a common file. Is
    > there some way to automate this process in Acronis and walk away?
    > Otherwise I pretty much have to be present to start up the next
    > operation every few minutes.
    >
    > There must be _some_ way, because the Acronis window shows progress
    > for "Operation 1 or 1". That implies it must be possible to queue up
    > multiple operations; but I can't figure out how. Can you point out
    > the obvious thing I'm missing?

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    > -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > Following suggestions here I've purchased Acronis TrueImage 8.0 and
    > I'm generally happy with it, with the MAJOR exception that there's
    > no true help file, only a semi-searchable PDF user manual. I can't
    > find how to do what I'm trying to do, so I turn to the group for
    > assistance.
    >
    > I have four partitions, C through F. My external USB hard drive is,
    > naturally, G. I want to do a full backup of each partition to a
    > separate file on G, not all four partitions to a common file. Is
    > there some way to automate this process in Acronis and walk away?
    > Otherwise I pretty much have to be present to start up the next
    > operation every few minutes.
    >
    > There must be _some_ way, because the Acronis window shows progress
    > for "Operation 1 or 1". That implies it must be possible to queue up
    > multiple operations; but I can't figure out how. Can you point out
    > the obvious thing I'm missing?

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    > -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

    Stan:
    I may be misinterpreting what you want to accomplish since I don't really
    know what you mean when you indicate you want "to automate this process in
    Acronis and walk away".

    If I understand you correctly, you have a single internal HD containing four
    partitions and you simply want to back up all the data on those four
    partitions to your USBEHD. If I have this right...

    Acronis True Image has a disk-to-disk cloning function so that you could
    clone the entire contents (the four partitions) of your internal HD to your
    USBEHD. Merely access that function by double-clicking on the "Disk Clone"
    icon and follow the subsequent screen prompts. After the cloning operation,
    your USBEHD will contain the contents of those four partitions. (The fact
    that your EHD had been assigned the G: drive letter when you booted up with
    the EHD connected is irrelevant in this situation). I know you've stated "I
    pretty much have to be present to start up the next operation every few
    minutes", but I don't understand your reference to the "next operation every
    few minutes", nor your subsequent reference to "(Acronis) multiple
    operations".

    But as I've said, perhaps I've misunderstood your objective. Sorry if I
    have.
    Anna

    Stan,
    All you have to do is to create the appropriate schedules for each task.
    However I suggest you open Acronis "Help" and go to Web Help which will
    allow you to join one of the Acronis Forums and you will get a lot more
    answers than you can expect here.

    Good Luck!

    You should try to ask that questionhere :
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
    That's the official Acronis TrueImage support forum

    "MoiMeme" <vermeulenp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You should try to ask that questionhere :
    > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
    > That's the official Acronis TrueImage support forum
    >
    > "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > n6apg1t6ctd3oe08uofak6ve9064053s2f@4ax.com...
    >> Following suggestions here I've purchased Acronis TrueImage 8.0 and
    >> I'm generally happy with it, with the MAJOR exception that there's
    >> no true help file, only a semi-searchable PDF user manual. I can't
    >> find how to do what I'm trying to do, so I turn to the group for
    >> assistance.
    >>
    >> I have four partitions, C through F. My external USB hard drive is,
    >> naturally, G. I want to do a full backup of each partition to a
    >> separate file on G, not all four partitions to a common file. Is
    >> there some way to automate this process in Acronis and walk away?
    >> Otherwise I pretty much have to be present to start up the next
    >> operation every few minutes.
    >>
    >> There must be _some_ way, because the Acronis window shows progress
    >> for "Operation 1 or 1". That implies it must be possible to queue up
    >> multiple operations; but I can't figure out how. Can you point out
    >> the obvious thing I'm missing?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    >> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    >> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    >> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

    True Image allows the imaging of entire disks, you cannot create image of
    individual partitions as you appear to want. I believe you can do what you
    want with Ghost 9 but am not positive on this.

    Edward W. Thompson Wrote:
    > "MoiMeme" <vermeulenp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > True Image allows the imaging of entire disks, you cannot create image
    > of
    > individual partitions as you appear to want. I believe you can do what
    > you
    > want with Ghost 9 but am not positive on this.

    Hello.
    It's fully uncorrect!
    True Image could easily create image of individual partitions as well
    as of the whole HDD.
    For that you need just chose in True Image windows "Create Image", then
    you'll see another windows where you could chose partition.
    So, if you'll choese all partitions, ATI create 1 image file, but you
    could restore from it any partition you want. Becuase it creates
    separated images and just keep them in 1 file.
    I'm sure you'll be ably to do want you want using True Image! :)

    --
    Jucy

    Edward W. Thompson Wrote:
    > "MoiMeme" <vermeulenp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > True Image allows the imaging of entire disks, you cannot create image
    > of individual partitions ..........."
    May be true by Restorations but not backups.
    I made an image of my C partition and when I tried restoring it at a later
    time, True Image did a good job but wiped out my D partition. So in effect,
    it dumped the whole backup on to the drive instead of just on the C:
    partition. I explicitely chose to restore to C: ( the available space at
    the time. My data was on the D:)
    So it will back up one partition or more allright but you might lose the
    other partitions during restoration. Note that I use only one hard drive
    with the partitions C: and D:

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:09:15 -0400, Stan Brown
    <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

    [how to automate the tasks I'm now doing]

    Thanks to all who responded.

    The best advice seems to be to post to Acronis' Web-based forum. I
    hate Web-based forums, but if that's where the help is, that's what
    I'll do. :-)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > Following suggestions here I've purchased Acronis TrueImage 8.0 and
    > I'm generally happy with it, with the MAJOR exception that there's
    > no true help file, only a semi-searchable PDF user manual. I can't
    > find how to do what I'm trying to do, so I turn to the group for
    > assistance.
    >
    > I have four partitions, C through F. My external USB hard drive is,
    > naturally, G. I want to do a full backup of each partition to a
    > separate file on G, not all four partitions to a common file. Is
    > there some way to automate this process in Acronis and walk away?
    > Otherwise I pretty much have to be present to start up the next
    > operation every few minutes.
    >
    > There must be _some_ way, because the Acronis window shows progress
    > for "Operation 1 or 1". That implies it must be possible to queue up
    > multiple operations; but I can't figure out how. Can you point out
    > the obvious thing I'm missing?

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    > -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

    Anna responds....

    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:09:15 -0400, Stan Brown
    > <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    >
    > [how to automate the tasks I'm now doing]
    >
    > Thanks to all who responded.
    >
    > The best advice seems to be to post to Acronis' Web-based forum. I
    > hate Web-based forums, but if that's where the help is, that's what
    > I'll do. :-)

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan:
    Just to satisfy my own curiosity...

    Did I misinterpret what you want to do re using the Acronis program to
    backup, i.e., clone the contents of your internal HD to a USB external HD?
    The process seems relatively simple and straightforward enough, and I'm
    wondering exactly what's problem you're experiencing.
    Anna

    Perhaps that is something system unique to your set up. Here it
    works correctly, restoring one partition without touching other
    partitions.

    --

    LEO

    But in practice there is.

    "Leo" <idonotwant@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Perhaps that is something system unique to your set up. Here it works
    > correctly, restoring one partition without touching other partitions.
    > LEO

    > But in practice there is.

    Leo:
    To the best of my knowledge Acronis True Image (unlike Symantec's Norton
    Ghost) does not have the capability of *directly* cloning an individual
    partition of a multi-partitioned drive to another drive. AFAIK, in ATI you
    can directly clone a multi-partitioned HD to another drive which will, of
    course, include the entire contents of the source disk including *all* the
    partitions on that disk; however, you cannot select individual partitions
    from the source disk to *directly* clone to the destination disk.

    Please understand we are talking about the ATI "Disk Clone" feature that one
    can use to *directly* clone the contents of one hard drive to another hard
    drive. I fully understand that "disk images" can be created of individual
    partitions that can subsequently be installed on the destination drive. As I
    alluded to above, Ghost does have the capability of *directly* cloning
    individual partitions.

    If I'm wrong about this, please advise.
    Anna

    Hello Stan,

    I think you should try to use the schedule options in Acronis True
    Image, you can schedule tasks to create images of your partitions and
    go for walk :-)

    --
    Mellissa

    --
    Mellissa

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:33:43 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote:

    >To the best of my knowledge Acronis True Image (unlike Symantec's Norton
    >Ghost) does not have the capability of *directly* cloning an individual
    >partition of a multi-partitioned drive to another drive. AFAIK, in ATI you
    >can directly clone a multi-partitioned HD to another drive which will, of
    >course, include the entire contents of the source disk including *all* the
    >partitions on that disk; however, you cannot select individual partitions
    >from the source disk to *directly* clone to the destination disk.

    As the original questioner, I don't know whether this is a
    misunderstanding or normal Usenet thread drift.

    I was not talking about disk cloning, I was talking about
    per-partition backup. If you're trying to answer my question, disk
    cloning is not relevant to me. If you've moved n to a different
    point, that's fine of course.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

    "Stan Brown" wrote:
    > I was not talking about disk cloning, I was talking about
    > per-partition backup. If you're trying to answer my question, disk
    > cloning is not relevant to me....

    If your archival medium is to be a spare HD, you can use
    cloning (i.e. a sector-by-sector exact copy) for your backups.
    True Image cannot clone single partitions, but Casper XP
    and Ghost can (among others). It doesn't matter in cloning
    whether the data copied is an entire file structure or an
    installed OS - it just has to be entire partitions.

    *TimDaniels*

    > As the original questioner, I don't know whether this is a
    > misunderstanding or normal Usenet thread drift.
    >
    > I was not talking about disk cloning, I was talking about
    > per-partition backup. If you're trying to answer my question, disk
    > cloning is not relevant to me. If you've moved n to a different
    > point, that's fine of course.
    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    > "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    > "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:33:43 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote:
    >>To the best of my knowledge Acronis True Image (unlike Symantec's Norton
    >>Ghost) does not have the capability of *directly* cloning an individual
    >>partition of a multi-partitioned drive to another drive. AFAIK, in ATI you
    >>can directly clone a multi-partitioned HD to another drive which will, of
    >>course, include the entire contents of the source disk including *all* the
    >>partitions on that disk; however, you cannot select individual partitions
    >>from the source disk to *directly* clone to the destination disk.

    Stan:
    Your original posting read as follows...
    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > Following suggestions here I've purchased Acronis TrueImage 8.0 and
    > I'm generally happy with it, with the MAJOR exception that there's
    > no true help file, only a semi-searchable PDF user manual. I can't
    > find how to do what I'm trying to do, so I turn to the group for
    > assistance.
    >
    > I have four partitions, C through F. My external USB hard drive is,
    > naturally, G. I want to do a full backup of each partition to a
    > separate file on G, not all four partitions to a common file. Is
    > there some way to automate this process in Acronis and walk away?
    > Otherwise I pretty much have to be present to start up the next
    > operation every few minutes.
    >
    > There must be _some_ way, because the Acronis window shows progress
    > for "Operation 1 or 1". That implies it must be possible to queue up
    > multiple operations; but I can't figure out how. Can you point out
    > the obvious thing I'm missing?

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/"

    I took it from your query that your ultimate objective was (is) to create a
    backup of your internal multi-partitioned HD to your USB external hard
    drive. So I responded as follows...

[...]

    Assuming I did correctly understand your objective, it seemed to me that you
    would be best served by employing the ATI program to clone the entire
    contents of your internal drive to the external one. In so doing, you would
    be effectively backing up the four partitions of your internal HD. Does this
    not meet your objective of backing up your partitions?

    When you quoted my later comment above, the one beginning with "To the best
    of my knowledge Acronis True Image (unlike Symantec's Norton Ghost) does not
    have the capability of *directly* cloning an individual partition of a
    multi-partitioned drive to another drive.", I was responding to a "Leo", who
    (in this thread) inferred (actually he wasn't entirely clear about this)
    that ATI could *directly* clone individual partitions.

    Anyway, as I previously informed you in response to another of your postings
    re this thread (the one in which you indicated you planned to post your
    query to the "'Acronis' Web-based forum"), if I have misunderstood what
    you're trying to accomplish, you can safely ignore my comments.
    Anna

    P.S.
    Oh, BTW, you neglected to quote Rick's final line (the really classic one of
    that piece) from Casablanca...
    "I was misinformed."

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:19:27 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote:

    >would be best served by employing the ATI program to clone the entire
    >contents of your internal drive to the external one. In so doing, you would
    >be effectively backing up the four partitions of your internal HD. Does this
    >not meet your objective of backing up your partitions?

    No, because one of the partitions is data that never change:
    dictionaries and encyclopedias. I have no desire to back them up
    because I installed them from CDs and any backup would simply repeat
    copies of those CDs.

    >Oh, BTW, you neglected to quote Rick's final line (the really classic one of
    >that piece) from Casablanca...
    >"I was misinformed."

    Thanks. I recently upgraded from Agent 2.0 to 3.0. I'm going to
    blame the upgrade for losing that line from my signature, because
    the alternative is that it's been missing all along and I never
    noticed. :-)

    Seriously, whatever the cause I've added it now and it should appear
    on this article. (Unfortunately Agent doesn't let us see the
    signature as part of the article during composition.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."

Windows XP