No Power LED

I'm trying to determine if it is worth while to fix a Dimension 4100 PIII
733 I was given.

I believe I have a bad motherboard.

Pressing the power button activates both fans but no boot + no beep tones.
The LED on the CD flashes and that's it.

With the CPU removed, nothing at all happens.

The LED on the motherboard is lit and all the PSU voltages check out per
specs..

I'm prepared to get a new motherboard but am perplexed by the fact that the
panel LED does not light. I tested and the LED is good. The front panel
cable is seated soundly.

Any ideas why the front panel LED would not light?

I've assumed that the front panel LED should come on instanteously with
power up. Apparently not. Is this dependent on the POST process? Would a
bad motherboard or bad memory prevent the front panel LED from lighting?

Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Post what the 4 LEDs on the rear are doing, and you may
get some insights.

"John Keiser" <john.keiser2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to determine if it is worth while to fix a Dimension 4100 PIII
> 733 I was given.
>
> I believe I have a bad motherboard.
>
> Pressing the power button activates both fans but no boot + no beep tones.
> The LED on the CD flashes and that's it.
>
> With the CPU removed, nothing at all happens.
>
> The LED on the motherboard is lit and all the PSU voltages check out per
> specs..
>
> I'm prepared to get a new motherboard but am perplexed by the fact that
the
> panel LED does not light. I tested and the LED is good. The front panel
> cable is seated soundly.
>
> Any ideas why the front panel LED would not light?
>
> I've assumed that the front panel LED should come on instanteously with
> power up. Apparently not. Is this dependent on the POST process? Would
> bad motherboard or bad memory prevent the front panel LED from lighting?
>

> Thank you.
>

> --
> Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

This might help:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dzuul/codemess.htm

"John Keiser" <john.keiser2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to determine if it is worth while to fix a Dimension 4100 PIII
> 733 I was given.
>
> I believe I have a bad motherboard.
>
> Pressing the power button activates both fans but no boot + no beep tones.
> The LED on the CD flashes and that's it.
>
> With the CPU removed, nothing at all happens.
>
> The LED on the motherboard is lit and all the PSU voltages check out per
> specs..
>
> I'm prepared to get a new motherboard but am perplexed by the fact that
the
> panel LED does not light. I tested and the LED is good. The front panel
> cable is seated soundly.
>
> Any ideas why the front panel LED would not light?
>
> I've assumed that the front panel LED should come on instanteously with
> power up. Apparently not. Is this dependent on the POST process? Would
> bad motherboard or bad memory prevent the front panel LED from lighting?
>

> Thank you.
>

> --
> Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

just a guess, but it sounds like either the power supply is not a dell
(which has a standard atx connector but non-standard wiring) or that perhaps
someone tried to upgrade the processor with one that resulted in damaging
the board. you mentioned that you checked out the powersupply, did you find
them to match dell specs or generic specs? did you see the 'abcd' leds on
the back of the system as pen suggested? before i would invest in a
replacement motherboard (and you have to stick with dell given the
powersupply and front panel connector) i would test out at least the
processor and hard disk in another system or you may be looking at a repair
that ford not make sense economically.

"John Keiser" <john.keiser2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to determine if it is worth while to fix a Dimension 4100 PIII
> 733 I was given.
>
> I believe I have a bad motherboard.
>
> Pressing the power button activates both fans but no boot + no beep tones.
> The LED on the CD flashes and that's it.
>
> With the CPU removed, nothing at all happens.
>
> The LED on the motherboard is lit and all the PSU voltages check out per
> specs..
>
> I'm prepared to get a new motherboard but am perplexed by the fact that
the
> panel LED does not light. I tested and the LED is good. The front panel
> cable is seated soundly.
>
> Any ideas why the front panel LED would not light?
>
> I've assumed that the front panel LED should come on instanteously with
> power up. Apparently not. Is this dependent on the POST process? Would
> bad motherboard or bad memory prevent the front panel LED from lighting?
>

> Thank you.
>

> --
> Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

It is a Dell PSU. The odd thing is that the voltages check out with a
digital voltmeter.

The front panel LED lights when jumpered with 3 volts but not otherwise.

The abcd lights are dead. Hence, my conclusion that the m/b is dead and
wonderment over why the front panel doesn't light.

Thanks for the comments.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

> It is a Dell PSU. The odd thing is that the voltages check out with a
> digital voltmeter.
>
> The front panel LED lights when jumpered with 3 volts but not otherwise.
>
> The abcd lights are dead. Hence, my conclusion that the m/b is dead and
> wonderment over why the front panel doesn't light.
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>

> --
> Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

The mb is more likely than the CPU, but I wouldn't rule the latter out.