Help!!!!!

August 24, 2005 4:04:30 PM

My PC is full of Spyware viruses which have brought it to a standstill.
I want to clear my PC and start again.

What do I do??????????

I don't know a great deal about computers so I need as much info as
possible.
I have nothing I need to back up so is it a case of just Installing
Windows XP again or do I have to clear the Hard Drive and will this get
rid of the Spyware?

--
Scotsman

More about : question

August 24, 2005 4:04:31 PM

Scotsman wrote:

> My PC is full of Spyware viruses which have brought it to a
> standstill. I want to clear my PC and start again.
>
> What do I do??????????
>
> I don't know a great deal about computers so I need as much info as
> possible.
> I have nothing I need to back up so is it a case of just Installing
> Windows XP again or do I have to clear the Hard Drive and will this
> get rid of the Spyware?

Follow these general malware removal steps systematically. Do everything
with updated tools in Safe Mode:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

Donny Broome
donny AT broomeman DOT com
Kill Spyware! Visit:

"Scotsman" <Scotsman.1ua4dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> My PC is full of Spyware viruses which have brought it to a standstill.
> I want to clear my PC and start again.
>
> What do I do??????????
>
> I don't know a great deal about computers so I need as much info as
> possible.
> I have nothing I need to back up so is it a case of just Installing
> Windows XP again or do I have to clear the Hard Drive and will this get
> rid of the Spyware?
>

> --
> Scotsman
August 24, 2005 5:51:06 PM

Keep in mind it's not just a matter of getting it clean, it's more a matter
of what caused all this in the first place. Spend some time learning the
ins and outs of safe surfing. Install and learn how to use a firewall.
Install and run spyware programs. Download, update and use anitvirus.

Don't open attachments to emails unless you know they are clean. Stay away
from 'gray area' webpages. That type of thing. Read the license carefully
before downloading any 'free' program. Avoid things like RealPlayer and
peer to peer networks.

"Scotsman" <Scotsman.1ua4dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> My PC is full of Spyware viruses which have brought it to a standstill.
> I want to clear my PC and start again.
>
> What do I do??????????
>
> I don't know a great deal about computers so I need as much info as
> possible.
> I have nothing I need to back up so is it a case of just Installing
> Windows XP again or do I have to clear the Hard Drive and will this get
> rid of the Spyware?
>

> --
> Scotsman
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:11:13 PM

Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ad-Aware
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

Ewido Security Suite Trial version

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it elsewhere. I need
to see it not them.

HijackThis

"Scotsman" <Scotsman.1ua4dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> My PC is full of Spyware viruses which have brought it to a standstill.
> I want to clear my PC and start again.
>
> What do I do??????????
>
> I don't know a great deal about computers so I need as much info as
> possible.
> I have nothing I need to back up so is it a case of just Installing
> Windows XP again or do I have to clear the Hard Drive and will this get
> rid of the Spyware?
>

> --
> Scotsman
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:31:04 PM

NO, please do not.

If your smart, get the appropiate spyware programs from their official
website, why download these programs from anywhere other than their point
of origin?

Please IGNORE Mr Butts, and follow most other's excellent advice.

Don Burnette

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Download, install, update and run all of the following.
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe
>
> Spybot search and destroy
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe
>
> Ewido Security Suite Trial version
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
>
> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
> it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to
> this group so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to
> post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
>

> HijackThis
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip
>

> "Scotsman" <Scotsman.1ua4dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> My PC is full of Spyware viruses which have brought it to a
>> standstill. I want to clear my PC and start again.
>>
>> What do I do??????????
>>
>> I don't know a great deal about computers so I need as much info as
>> possible.
>> I have nothing I need to back up so is it a case of just Installing
>> Windows XP again or do I have to clear the Hard Drive and will this
>> get rid of the Spyware?
>>

>> --
>> Scotsman
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:27:01 AM

First try to boot in Safe mode and get the system clean by latest virus
definitioned antivirus,spybot,search and destroy,CWShredder as well as
adaware.
Yes,Clean installation will remove everything.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Scotsman wrote:
> My PC is full of Spyware viruses which have brought it to a standstill.
> I want to clear my PC and start again.
>
> What do I do??????????
>
> I don't know a great deal about computers so I need as much info as
> possible.
> I have nothing I need to back up so is it a case of just Installing
> Windows XP again or do I have to clear the Hard Drive and will this get
> rid of the Spyware?

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:44:04 AM

Scotsman wrote:

> My PC is full of Spyware viruses which have brought it to a standstill.
> I want to clear my PC and start again.
>
> What do I do??????????

Disable system restore. Then:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/232.htm#2
August 25, 2005 1:37:16 PM

Hello Scotsman,
If you have XP installed and have an XP CD and your BIOS is set up to boot
from CD and all you want to do is reinstall, the following, thru trial and
error, is the easiest way I have found to do it.

To format drive C and clean reinstall Windows XP with the XP CD assuming
only one OS is installed:
a. Place XP CD in CD-ROM drive and prevent auto start by holding
down shift key.
b. Select Start\shutdown\restart.
c. Press spacebar when asked to press any key to boot from CD.
d. CD boots and installs various files then asks if you want to
install or recover. press R to recover.
e. In recovery console type 1 and press enter.
f. You will be required to enter the administrative password and
press enter. (Note: This is the password that was asked to be
entered when XP was originally being installed)
g. Now type "format c: /fs:ntfs" without Quotes and press enter.
(Note: Be sure to enter the space after format and c:)
(If c: is not the drive you want to format replace with letter
of drive you do want to format. If fat32 was desired replace
ntfs with fat32)
h. Press Y and enter (to allow format).
i. After format type exit to quit recovery console and restart
computer.
j. Boot again from CD and select install. Follow prompts to install
OS.
k. Do not select to reboot from CD during the several restarts during
install.

!