VIDEO DRIVER UPGRADES - ATI 9800

I want to upgrade the video drivers for my ATI 9800 Pro 128 Mb, and from
looking at the Dell site, I see that they are not up to date and don't
really address the issue. If I download the current drivers from ATI, do I
first have to delete all of the old ATI drivers for the card and put the
computer in like VGA mode? Then would I have to install the new drivers and
then change the video properties back to the settings I had with the old
drivers like screen resolution and 32-bit color?

Ron

Jd

i'm not sure about the ati card, but for my nvidia card i needed to
uninstall my old drivers and disable my anti-virus software before i
installed the latest driver for the card. i believe i didn't have to
adjust my settings when finished, though. and i certainly didn't have
to throw the machine into vga mode to download the driver. why any of
this is, i don't know? i just follow directions. and this download was
from the nvidia site. i'm assuming the requirements for the ati driver
download is the same/similar. : ) my card is the low-rent passively
cooled fx5200.

Detailed installation instructions are found on ATI's web site.

Ted Zieglar

"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I want to upgrade the video drivers for my ATI 9800 Pro 128 Mb, and from
> looking at the Dell site, I see that they are not up to date and don't
> really address the issue. If I download the current drivers from ATI, do
> first have to delete all of the old ATI drivers for the card and put the
> computer in like VGA mode? Then would I have to install the new drivers
> and
> then change the video properties back to the settings I had with the old
> drivers like screen resolution and 32-bit color?
>
> Ron

I looked at www.ati.com after I posted and what surprised me was the fact
that they recommend just overwriting the old drivers which was new to me.
They didn't say anything about dropping it down into VGA mode.

Ron

> Detailed installation instructions are found on ATI's web site.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >I want to upgrade the video drivers for my ATI 9800 Pro 128 Mb, and from
> > looking at the Dell site, I see that they are not up to date and don't
> > really address the issue. If I download the current drivers from ATI,
do
> > first have to delete all of the old ATI drivers for the card and put the
> > computer in like VGA mode? Then would I have to install the new drivers
> > and
> > then change the video properties back to the settings I had with the old
> > drivers like screen resolution and 32-bit color?

Ron,
How did your upgrade go - I'm thinking about upgrading also.
Charlie

>"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I looked at www.ati.com after I posted and what surprised me was the fact
>that they recommend just overwriting the old drivers which was new to me.
>They didn't say anything about dropping it down into VGA mode.
>
>Ron

Charliec

A couple of ways to go here. Either look in the ATI folder for a file named
AtiCimUn.exe which is the driver uninstaller. Or if the ATI folder does not
exist try Driver Cleaner which is a great little program for uninstalling
drivers.

Driver Cleaner:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

ATI Utilities including the uninstallers:
http://www.atitech.ca/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

Regards,
John O.

"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I want to upgrade the video drivers for my ATI 9800 Pro 128 Mb, and from
> looking at the Dell site, I see that they are not up to date and don't
> really address the issue. If I download the current drivers from ATI, do
> first have to delete all of the old ATI drivers for the card and put the
> computer in like VGA mode? Then would I have to install the new drivers
> and
> then change the video properties back to the settings I had with the old
> drivers like screen resolution and 32-bit color?
>
> Ron

I have both drivers downloaded but haven't installed them yet since the
issue I have with a game (World of Warcraft) is not driver related. It
looks like it is an Interrupt problem that occurs intermediately.

Ron