Selecting Files in XP Prof. Backup

I am running XP Professional Backup and selecting files and folders. When I
select only a few files in Quicken and save the selection, when I return, all
of Quicken's files and folders have been selected. This doesn't happen in,
for example, My Webs, where I don't select some folders and they stay
unselected.

How can I keep only the few files selected in Quicken (which is in
ProgramFiles) rather than all of them?
8 answers Last reply
More about selecting files prof backup

    Quicken Support and FAQ's: http://www.quicken.com.au/Support/default.aspx

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Sue McCain" <SueMcCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running XP Professional Backup and selecting files and folders. When I
    > select only a few files in Quicken and save the selection, when I return,
    > all
    > of Quicken's files and folders have been selected. This doesn't happen in,
    > for example, My Webs, where I don't select some folders and they stay
    > unselected.
    >
    > How can I keep only the few files selected in Quicken (which is in
    > ProgramFiles) rather than all of them?

    I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a Quicken
    issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with other
    folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select only a few
    files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders, backup by default
    includes the subfolders when I save the selection.

    Sue McCain wrote:

    > I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a
    > Quicken
    > issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with
    > other folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select
    > only a few files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders,
    > backup by default includes the subfolders when I save the selection.
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Quicken Support and FAQ's:
    >> http://www.quicken.com.au/Support/default.aspx
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)

    >> "Sue McCain" <SueMcCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am running XP Professional Backup and selecting files and folders.
    >> >When I
    >> > select only a few files in Quicken and save the selection, when I
    >> > return, all
    >> > of Quicken's files and folders have been selected. This doesn't
    >> > happen in, for example, My Webs, where I don't select some folders
    >> > and they stay unselected.
    >> >
    >> > How can I keep only the few files selected in Quicken (which is in
    >> > ProgramFiles) rather than all of them?

    I don't have an answer for you because I've never used NTBackup, which
    is not a very good backup program and was originally designed to back
    up the entire system to a tape drive.

    A better solution is to use a program like SecondCopy from
    www.centered.com. It is extremely flexible, scales beautifully (can be
    run on a home computer or in a networked office environment on a
    server), and is inexpensive (around $30). One of the best parts of
    SecondCopy is that is merely *copies* files instead of putting the
    backup in a proprietary format for which you will need the original
    program if you ever want to restore. And no, I don't get anything from
    recommending SecondCopy - I and other techs I know have put it on
    clients' machines for years and know it is good.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    In article <uh$RsIXqFHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Malke
    <invalid@not-real.com> wrote:
    >A better solution is to use a program like SecondCopy from
    >www.centered.com. It is extremely flexible, scales beautifully (can be
    >run on a home computer or in a networked office environment on a
    >server), and is inexpensive (around $30). One of the best parts of
    >SecondCopy is that is merely *copies* files instead of putting the
    >backup in a proprietary format for which you will need the original
    >program if you ever want to restore. And no, I don't get anything from
    >recommending SecondCopy - I and other techs I know have put it on
    >clients' machines for years and know it is good.

    I "Second" your recommendation, Malke. I use SecondCopy to
    automatically perform these tasks that make my computer use safer and
    easier:

    1. Once a day, copy these files from the primary hard disk to a
    secondary hard disk in my main computer: documents, Internet
    favorites, pictures, E-mail messages and settings, news group messages
    and settings,

    2. Once a day, copy business files from my Tablet PC, which I use in
    the field, to my main computer.

    3. On demand, copy these files from my main computer to a USB flash
    drive that I carry with me for backup: documents, Internet favorites,
    pictures, E-mail messages and settings, news group messages and
    settings.

    4. On demand, copy these files from my main computer to a USB flash
    drive that I use in the field to work on clients' computers: antivirus
    programs and definitions, antispyware programs and definitions.

    And, as you know, SecondCopy only copies new and changed files, making
    the process very efficient.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    I was correct. If I have a folder that has files in it and also has
    subfolders, and I select a few of the files and none of the subfolders, the
    backup works properly. But if I save the job and return to it later, all of
    the backup folders have been selected and I have to unselect them all
    manually. Can this be fixed?

    "Sue McCain" wrote:

    > I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a Quicken
    > issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with other
    > folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select only a few
    > files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders, backup by default
    > includes the subfolders when I save the selection.
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    > > Quicken Support and FAQ's: http://www.quicken.com.au/Support/default.aspx
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > All the Best,
    > > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    > >
    > > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    > >

    > > "Sue McCain" <SueMcCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I am running XP Professional Backup and selecting files and folders. When I
    > > > select only a few files in Quicken and save the selection, when I return,
    > > > all
    > > > of Quicken's files and folders have been selected. This doesn't happen in,
    > > > for example, My Webs, where I don't select some folders and they stay
    > > > unselected.
    > > >
    > > > How can I keep only the few files selected in Quicken (which is in
    > > > ProgramFiles) rather than all of them?

    I am having the same problem. Was wondering if you came up with a fix for
    this obvious bug in the NT Backup Program.

    The fact that the response from Kelly is the answer to the question is a
    bunch of bull. As for using a third party software that is fine, but if I
    pay for a piece of software it should work and I shouldn't have to go out and
    find a freeware or shareware product. There are backups, like a backup of
    Acct. Soft. data files before a post, that NT Backup is great for.

    "Sue McCain" wrote:

    > I was correct. If I have a folder that has files in it and also has
    > subfolders, and I select a few of the files and none of the subfolders, the
    > backup works properly. But if I save the job and return to it later, all of
    > the backup folders have been selected and I have to unselect them all
    > manually. Can this be fixed?
    >
    > "Sue McCain" wrote:
    >
    > > I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a Quicken
    > > issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with other
    > > folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select only a few
    > > files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders, backup by default
    > > includes the subfolders when I save the selection.
    > >
    > > "Kelly" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Quicken Support and FAQ's: http://www.quicken.com.au/Support/default.aspx
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > All the Best,
    > > > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    > > >
    > > > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Sue McCain" <SueMcCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    It's XP Backup I'm using--is that the same at NT Backup? No, no one has given
    me an answer to the problem. I'm just going with it as it is, even though it
    increases backup time, and if I ever have to restore, I'll uncheck the things
    I didn't want.

    "hbissell" wrote:

    > I am having the same problem. Was wondering if you came up with a fix for
    > this obvious bug in the NT Backup Program.
    >
    > The fact that the response from Kelly is the answer to the question is a
    > bunch of bull. As for using a third party software that is fine, but if I
    > pay for a piece of software it should work and I shouldn't have to go out and
    > find a freeware or shareware product. There are backups, like a backup of
    > Acct. Soft. data files before a post, that NT Backup is great for.
    >
    > "Sue McCain" wrote:
    >
    > > I was correct. If I have a folder that has files in it and also has
    > > subfolders, and I select a few of the files and none of the subfolders, the
    > > backup works properly. But if I save the job and return to it later, all of
    > > the backup folders have been selected and I have to unselect them all
    > > manually. Can this be fixed?
    > >
    > > "Sue McCain" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a Quicken
    > > > issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with other
    > > > folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select only a few
    > > > files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders, backup by default
    > > > includes the subfolders when I save the selection.

    I am using the backup that came with Windows XP. Sorry called it by the
    wrong name. Under the help and about it has Backup Utility for Windows MS
    and Veritas Copyright 2001. Thanks for the info.

Backup Microsoft Windows XP