Selecting Files in XP Prof. Backup

I am running XP Professional Backup and selecting files and folders. When I
select only a few files in Quicken and save the selection, when I return, all
of Quicken's files and folders have been selected. This doesn't happen in,
for example, My Webs, where I don't select some folders and they stay
unselected.

How can I keep only the few files selected in Quicken (which is in
ProgramFiles) rather than all of them?

kelly

Quicken Support and FAQ's: http://www.quicken.com.au/Support/default.aspx

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Sue McCain" <SueMcCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running XP Professional Backup and selecting files and folders. When I
> select only a few files in Quicken and save the selection, when I return,
> all
> of Quicken's files and folders have been selected. This doesn't happen in,
> for example, My Webs, where I don't select some folders and they stay
> unselected.
>
> How can I keep only the few files selected in Quicken (which is in
> ProgramFiles) rather than all of them?

I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a Quicken
issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with other
folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select only a few
files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders, backup by default
includes the subfolders when I save the selection.

"Kelly" wrote:

> Quicken Support and FAQ's: http://www.quicken.com.au/Support/default.aspx
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Sue McCain" <SueMcCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running XP Professional Backup and selecting files and folders. When I
> > select only a few files in Quicken and save the selection, when I return,
> > all
> > of Quicken's files and folders have been selected. This doesn't happen in,
> > for example, My Webs, where I don't select some folders and they stay
> > unselected.
> >
> > How can I keep only the few files selected in Quicken (which is in
> > ProgramFiles) rather than all of them?

Malke

Sue McCain wrote:

> I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a
> Quicken
> issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with
> other folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select
> only a few files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders,
> backup by default includes the subfolders when I save the selection.
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Quicken Support and FAQ's:
>> http://www.quicken.com.au/Support/default.aspx
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)

>> "Sue McCain" <SueMcCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am running XP Professional Backup and selecting files and folders.
>> >When I
>> > select only a few files in Quicken and save the selection, when I
>> > return, all
>> > of Quicken's files and folders have been selected. This doesn't
>> > happen in, for example, My Webs, where I don't select some folders
>> > and they stay unselected.
>> >
>> > How can I keep only the few files selected in Quicken (which is in
>> > ProgramFiles) rather than all of them?

I don't have an answer for you because I've never used NTBackup, which
is not a very good backup program and was originally designed to back
up the entire system to a tape drive.

A better solution is to use a program like SecondCopy from
www.centered.com. It is extremely flexible, scales beautifully (can be
run on a home computer or in a networked office environment on a
server), and is inexpensive (around $30). One of the best parts of
SecondCopy is that is merely *copies* files instead of putting the
backup in a proprietary format for which you will need the original
program if you ever want to restore. And no, I don't get anything from
recommending SecondCopy - I and other techs I know have put it on
clients' machines for years and know it is good.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In article <uh$RsIXqFHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Malke
<invalid@not-real.com> wrote:
>A better solution is to use a program like SecondCopy from
>www.centered.com. It is extremely flexible, scales beautifully (can be
>run on a home computer or in a networked office environment on a
>server), and is inexpensive (around $30). One of the best parts of
>SecondCopy is that is merely *copies* files instead of putting the
>backup in a proprietary format for which you will need the original
>program if you ever want to restore. And no, I don't get anything from
>recommending SecondCopy - I and other techs I know have put it on
>clients' machines for years and know it is good.

I "Second" your recommendation, Malke. I use SecondCopy to
automatically perform these tasks that make my computer use safer and
easier:

1. Once a day, copy these files from the primary hard disk to a
secondary hard disk in my main computer: documents, Internet
favorites, pictures, E-mail messages and settings, news group messages
and settings,

2. Once a day, copy business files from my Tablet PC, which I use in
the field, to my main computer.

3. On demand, copy these files from my main computer to a USB flash
drive that I carry with me for backup: documents, Internet favorites,
pictures, E-mail messages and settings, news group messages and
settings.

4. On demand, copy these files from my main computer to a USB flash
drive that I use in the field to work on clients' computers: antivirus
programs and definitions, antispyware programs and definitions.

And, as you know, SecondCopy only copies new and changed files, making
the process very efficient.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

I was correct. If I have a folder that has files in it and also has
subfolders, and I select a few of the files and none of the subfolders, the
backup works properly. But if I save the job and return to it later, all of
the backup folders have been selected and I have to unselect them all
manually. Can this be fixed?

"Sue McCain" wrote:

> I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a Quicken
> issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with other
> folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select only a few
> files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders, backup by default
> includes the subfolders when I save the selection.
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
> > Quicken Support and FAQ's: http://www.quicken.com.au/Support/default.aspx
> >
> > --
> >
> > All the Best,
> > Kelly (MS-MVP)
> >
> > Troubleshooting Windows XP
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
> >

> > "Sue McCain" <SueMcCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am running XP Professional Backup and selecting files and folders. When I
> > > select only a few files in Quicken and save the selection, when I return,
> > > all
> > > of Quicken's files and folders have been selected. This doesn't happen in,
> > > for example, My Webs, where I don't select some folders and they stay
> > > unselected.
> > >
> > > How can I keep only the few files selected in Quicken (which is in
> > > ProgramFiles) rather than all of them?

I am having the same problem. Was wondering if you came up with a fix for
this obvious bug in the NT Backup Program.

The fact that the response from Kelly is the answer to the question is a
bunch of bull. As for using a third party software that is fine, but if I
pay for a piece of software it should work and I shouldn't have to go out and
find a freeware or shareware product. There are backups, like a backup of
Acct. Soft. data files before a post, that NT Backup is great for.

"Sue McCain" wrote:

> I was correct. If I have a folder that has files in it and also has
> subfolders, and I select a few of the files and none of the subfolders, the
> backup works properly. But if I save the job and return to it later, all of
> the backup folders have been selected and I have to unselect them all
> manually. Can this be fixed?
>
> "Sue McCain" wrote:
>
> > I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a Quicken
> > issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with other
> > folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select only a few
> > files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders, backup by default
> > includes the subfolders when I save the selection.
> >
> > "Kelly" wrote:
> >
> > > Quicken Support and FAQ's: http://www.quicken.com.au/Support/default.aspx
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > All the Best,
> > > Kelly (MS-MVP)
> > >
> > > Troubleshooting Windows XP
> > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
> > >

> > > "Sue McCain" <SueMcCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It's XP Backup I'm using--is that the same at NT Backup? No, no one has given
me an answer to the problem. I'm just going with it as it is, even though it
increases backup time, and if I ever have to restore, I'll uncheck the things
I didn't want.

"hbissell" wrote:

> I am having the same problem. Was wondering if you came up with a fix for
> this obvious bug in the NT Backup Program.
>
> The fact that the response from Kelly is the answer to the question is a
> bunch of bull. As for using a third party software that is fine, but if I
> pay for a piece of software it should work and I shouldn't have to go out and
> find a freeware or shareware product. There are backups, like a backup of
> Acct. Soft. data files before a post, that NT Backup is great for.
>
> "Sue McCain" wrote:
>
> > I was correct. If I have a folder that has files in it and also has
> > subfolders, and I select a few of the files and none of the subfolders, the
> > backup works properly. But if I save the job and return to it later, all of
> > the backup folders have been selected and I have to unselect them all
> > manually. Can this be fixed?
> >
> > "Sue McCain" wrote:
> >
> > > I couldn't find anything on the Quicken site. I'm not sure it's a Quicken
> > > issue--that's just the folder I was working with. I'll try it with other
> > > folders and let you know. The issue seems to be that if I select only a few
> > > files in the main folder to back up, and no subfolders, backup by default
> > > includes the subfolders when I save the selection.

I am using the backup that came with Windows XP. Sorry called it by the
wrong name. Under the help and about it has Backup Utility for Windows MS
and Veritas Copyright 2001. Thanks for the info.