Water Cooling Question

I am thinking about investing in a water cooler for one specific reason. That reason is to reduce the amount of heat in my computer room. At first I thought that this might be the perfect solution but now I have my doubts. At around 200 dollars for this investment I figured I better find out if my theory is right before I spend the money. Do water cooling units reduce the amount of heat that is released into the room? I am starting to think that the answer is no. The heat must go somewhere is my theory now. Even thought the heat may or may not be more effeciently removed from the process that heat must go somewhere right? Tell me I am wrong and the water cooler disapates the heat and the computer is at best room temp. If anyone has a water cool I would be very interested in your experiences with them. Do your computer rooms still get hot? I suspect that your computers are much cooler but since I am not into over clocking I could care less if my computer runs any cooler then it is now. The current fan set up I have now does a good enough job of that. My goal is to reduce the temp in the room and if a water cooler will help then I will make the investment. Thanks for anyones thoughts on the subject.
17 answers Last reply
More about water cooling question
  1. U R right, the heat has to go somewhere.

If you look in the <b>Overclocking</b> sections of these
    forums you will likely find more on water and air cooling.

One ingenious fellow, who keep his computer in a cupboard,
    put a hole in the wall to exhaust the air out of the
    computer room. Claimed it worked well to keep his temperatures down.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/07/03 08:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  2. Watercooling only tranfers heat away from the processor more rapidly by offering a more thermally conductive medium. That heat still has to go somewhere, which is why most watercoolers have a radiator.

That aside, there are other options. Every so often I hear of people who tie their watercooler through their plumbing instead of through a radiator. This has two benefits:
    1) The incoming water is always cold because it's fresh instead of constantly recycled.
    2) The outgoing 'heated' water just goes down the drain, and with it of course goes the heat. This way the heat isn't just transferred into the air in the room.

Of course most people would consider that an extreme method and it does mean that the tap water is slowly (but constantly) running, which can range from being completely free to being quite costly depending on your situation. It's also probably a real pain to setup unless your PC is actually near a sink. Heh heh. Plus it's all custom work so there probably are no kits to make it easy.

But other than that, yeah, piping the exhaust air from the PC into a hole in the wall is another option. This usually only works well for inside walls because they're hollow so the hot air can move up between the walls and exit through the roof. Outside walls however are almost always insulated and unless you make that hole run all the way outside (which would not be recommended) the insulation will just trap the hot air there and often just backwash right back into the room.

Of course I still just don't get it. I mean I just picked up a brand new P4 system and from experience I can honestly say that the ceiling light in my computer room heats the room up more than my new PC. If it was really a problem couldn't you just put a cheap little fan just inside of the doorway to move the air through the room the computer is in? Not having central air in my house I do this myself on occasion because my living room's air conditioner is too far away from my computer room for me to just enjoy my computer on hot summer days.

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>
  3. It takes a very long time for the room to heat up. Its not something that happens in lets say and hour or so. It might take 3 or 4 hours for the room to heat up. I have 2 computers in here and of course it gets much worse with both of them on. I have about 3.5 gigs of processor between the two of them so they tend to generate a lot of heat. I have thought of building a case for them and then hooking a venting pipe up to them. Then venting the pipe through the wall to the outside. Much like a dryer would be installed. My wife isnt crazy about the idea so I must think of something else. I may install a blower vent in the ceiling inside the closet. I could close the door when I had company or something and when it got hot the blower could suck the air out of the room and into the attic. Does anyone else have a similar problem and have you done something as crazy as this in order to solve the problem?
  4. central air?

Seriously...wives do not like husbands haking into walls...

Have you thought of underclocking...there are software programs that allow you to overclock/underclock while windows is running...once you are done using one of your computers...underclock it...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
  5. Does the room have a window? You could cut your duct into a board, and put the board in the window.

My office gets quite toasty when it's around 95F outside, the sun is shining on the roof, and my PC is running. But then again, I life in a tin box...I mean a trailer.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  6. I have a AC module in the room window for the summer.
    Spring and Fall the window are open. Winter I'm happy for the warmth.

The loving are the daring!
  7. It's not going to heat the room much. Imagine having a 75W lamp on in the corner of the room. That's about how much heat energy is released from the processor. It is not going to heat up the room. Space heaters are thousands of watts and even they don't heat up rooms that well.

I think that water cooling idea with plumbing is pretty funny, though not very enviro friendly :smile:
  8. unless you've got an LCD monitor, you'll probably find that most of the heat is coming from your CRT. They're really quite good room heaters. And I would <i>really</i> not suggest you try watercooling <i>that</i> :wink:

---
    The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:
  9. actually i have seen some people selling monitor cooling kits...what a fvcking joke!

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
  10. LOL... I can see the advertising now...

<font color=blue>Overclock your monitor! Achieve higher framerates in your games!* This amazing technology, long the preserve of large corporations, is now available for the home user just like you!*2<pre>* based on the assumption that your refresh rate is currently lower than the FPS your GPU is kicking out
    *2 based on the assumption that you're an idiot.</pre><p></font color=blue>

---
    The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:
  11. Worse than the monitor cooling kits are the monitor shelf kits. Yes, that's right folks. You too can plug up the monitor's vents just so that you can load it up with nick-nacks or store printer paper there. <sarcasm><i>What a <b>great</b> idea!</i></sarcasm>

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>
  12. Heck seems like a lot more than 75W bulb to me.
    Screen, processor, memory, hard disks, lasers, cooling fans etc.

Room gets decidedly uncomfortable without turning the AC on for a little while. Besides it's summer in an apt.

The loving are the daring!
  13. The funny thing is that you yourself are probably putting out a lot more heat than your computer is. The room could be warming up simply because of your charming presence...

Warm blooded animals, especially those without a significant layer of insulation, are notorious living heaters.

14. ___________________________________________________________

You could cut your duct into a board, and put the board in the window.

LOL, you're joking right?

<font color=red> "It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." - Sir Winston Churchill </font color=red>
  15. I can tell you that it will not help keep your room cooler. I have a water cooler and I thought the samething, the only thing I have done is delay the heat a little longer and keep my cpu cooler. I did not only get the water cooler just to see if it would keep my room cooler, I also wanted a system that is not as loud and it has made a differents. My computer is a lot quiter now that it has only 3 fans in it. So if you are only getting the water cooler just for the heat, then I would have to say don't get it. They make great fans that make a lot of noise that will do the samething and a water kit will do.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:
  16. well regardless of what you think I can tell you that my room gets very hot. I have two 450 what power supplys running not to mention the monitors. I would imagine that the monitors are at least another 200 watts each. Thats well over 1000 watts of heat that is released into the room. I also have a space heater and it has two settings. One is 700 watts and the other is 1000 watts. So the amount of heat that is in this room is equal to having a space heater on all the time. Some of you have great air conditioners or well vented rooms but I guess I have neither because I can feel the differnece.
  17. Obviously your visualization skills need improving. OK, many houses have slide up windows. Now, there's these things people can buy called Portable Air Conditioners, they have a board around 6 inches tall with two holes that connect to two ducts that run to the AC unit. You close the window down to the board. This is the type of arrangement I'm speaking of, not replacing an entire window, just making a small filler panel with a duct, that the window can close onto. Of course you'd want to paint it white.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Water Cooling Heat Cooling