setup was unable to open information file accessor.inf

I am trying to do a repair on IE 6.0 but I cannot get into windows add
remove programs. I keep getting the error posted in the subject line. It
tell me to contact the system admin. I am the Admin. I am running XP home
with sp2 installed. The trouble seemed to start when I unistalled Mozilla
Firefox!

Thanks,

Brian
1 answer Last reply
More about setup unable open information file accessor

    Brian,

    First, Internet Explorer repair is not possible via Add/Remove. To repair
    Internet Explorer (why?), you may follow this method:

    Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:
    http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm

    When you're prompted for the updated system files:

    Case 1: If you've installed a Service Pack (1 or 2) after you installed
    Windows XP, mention the path as follows:

    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

    Case 2: If you have a Windows XP Operating System CD integrated with the
    latest Service Pack, simply point to the following path:

    X:\i386

    Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter.

    Then, to fix the accessor.inf error message, try extracting the .INF file
    from Windows XP CD.

    Insert the Windows XP CD in the drive.
    Click Start/Run and type CMD
    In the Command Prompt, type:

    expand X:\i386\accessor.in_ -r C:\Windows\Inf

    Where X:\ is your CD-ROM drive letter. The above command assumes Windows is
    installed in C:\ drive. If not, change the drive letter / Path accordingly.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to do a repair on IE 6.0 but I cannot get into windows add
    > remove programs. I keep getting the error posted in the subject line. It
    > tell me to contact the system admin. I am the Admin. I am running XP
    > home
    > with sp2 installed. The trouble seemed to start when I unistalled Mozilla
    > Firefox!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brian

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP