Req: Help Dvdrw drive

JS

Computer 4600 Win xp home Drive Nec

The Dvd rw drive has gone buggy. The Dvd reader is on D: drive and
Dvd rw is on E: drive and has stopped working right, however it
will read closed disks.

If I click on the Dvd drive it will say insert disk.

If I click on the Dvd rw disk it opens a window E: instead of
asking to insert a disk .

Is this a software problem or has the drive gone bad?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Joe

"js" <js@fl.net> wrote in message
> Computer 4600 Win xp home Drive Nec
>
> The Dvd rw drive has gone buggy. The Dvd reader is on D: drive and
> Dvd rw is on E: drive and has stopped working right, however it
> will read closed disks.
>
> If I click on the Dvd drive it will say insert disk.
>
> If I click on the Dvd rw disk it opens a window E: instead of
> asking to insert a disk .
>
> Is this a software problem or has the drive gone bad?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

Could be a loose physical connection to one of the drives, either the
interface cable or power....

Or one of the drives could be intermittently going bad. Could also be
software, which could be addressed by running a quick (Windows) system
restore to a date before the problem appeared.

Stew