mounting partitions on boot

I am running Red Hat 7.2 and Win XP Pro on a dual boot machine. I know how to mount my windows partition in Red Hat I would just like to have it do it automatically on boot. Could someone let me know how?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. :eek:
10 answers Last reply
More about mounting partitions boot
  1. As root, you need to edit your fstab located in /etc/ so that it auto-mounts. Yours should look something like this:
    <pre>/dev/hda1 /windows/windows_c vfat defaults,user,noauto</pre><p>You need to change the "noauto" to just "auto", reboot and that partition should now be automatically mounted.

Disregard my previous post.
  2. Does WinXP Pro use NTFS? If so, it might need to say ntfs instead of vfat, and have the ro (read only) option set.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>
  3. XP uses either or, like NT/2000, depends upon the user.

4. yeah, listen to what poorboy said...if it's NTFS, you'd only want to make the partition read-only because writing to NTFS is just too dangerous (but you'd have to recompile the kernel so that wouldn't be a problem anyway).

5. I'll remember to set it as read only. Don't want my computer going crazy on me because of one little mistake.

I crossed the line into insanity so long ago I no longer have any idea which way to go to get further from the line.
  6. I don't even give Linux access to my NTFS partition. I have a FAT32 partition that I use as a go-between OS's.

P@ll4dium f0r L1f3!
  7. I was to partition my drive with a FAT 32 system shared between the OSes would I be able to partition it and change the disk format using Partition Magic 7, or would my files be deleted in the repartitioning and changing the format?

I crossed the line into insanity so long ago I no longer have any idea which way to go to get further from the line.
  8. You know how like, if you shove a 500uF capicator in a 110v socket, then walk into the men's room and throw it into one of the urinals that is being used...people all of a sudden want you dead?

Partitioning is the urinal, and the capicator is partition conversion.

Don't throw that in there!!!!!!!!!!

P@ll4dium f0r L1f3!
  9. I like that imagery and I get the point.

10. Lucky for me I noticed that I never converted my file structure format when I upgraded to XP. I am still running FAT32!!

Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Boot Partition Dual Boot