mounting partitions on boot

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I am running Red Hat 7.2 and Win XP Pro on a dual boot machine. I know how to mount my windows partition in Red Hat I would just like to have it do it automatically on boot. Could someone let me know how?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. :eek:

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
As root, you need to edit your fstab located in /etc/ so that it auto-mounts. Yours should look something like this:
<pre>/dev/hda1 /windows/windows_c vfat defaults,user,noauto</pre><p>You need to change the "noauto" to just "auto", reboot and that partition should now be automatically mounted.

Disregard my previous post.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Does WinXP Pro use NTFS? If so, it might need to say ntfs instead of vfat, and have the ro (read only) option set.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
yeah, listen to what poorboy said...if it's NTFS, you'd only want to make the partition read-only because writing to NTFS is just too dangerous (but you'd have to recompile the kernel so that wouldn't be a problem anyway).

Disregard my previous post.

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I'll remember to set it as read only. Don't want my computer going crazy on me because of one little mistake.

I crossed the line into insanity so long ago I no longer have any idea which way to go to get further from the line.

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I was to partition my drive with a FAT 32 system shared between the OSes would I be able to partition it and change the disk format using Partition Magic 7, or would my files be deleted in the repartitioning and changing the format?

I crossed the line into insanity so long ago I no longer have any idea which way to go to get further from the line.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You know how like, if you shove a 500uF capicator in a 110v socket, then walk into the men's room and throw it into one of the urinals that is being used...people all of a sudden want you dead?

Partitioning is the urinal, and the capicator is partition conversion.

Don't throw that in there!!!!!!!!!!

P@ll4dium f0r L1f3!

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I like that imagery and I get the point.

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Lucky for me I noticed that I never converted my file structure format when I upgraded to XP. I am still running FAT32!!