Compatible wins 7 64 bit games

windaeman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
My daughter has bought 3 games from game,they are "thrillvile , school tycoon and hotel giant, not the most popular or well known games in the world,the problem is they are fairly old games according to the labels and packaging they were first released as far back as 2002,does anyone know if they will play on a laptop running windows 7 64 bit,i have told her not to open them (there was tears she is only 11)and to be fair when i asked the manager of the local Game shop she bought them in he was honest enough to admit to not having a clue about the games playing on a 64 bit platform he promised to give a full refund if i wanted,any help ,advice and educated guesses are welcome,thanks in advance.

bmxjumperc

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Well ok most games that were meant for a 32-bit environment will install and execute you will be able to play them on a 64-bit environment.

On a 64-bit operating system the C: drive has two program folders x86 has 32-bit software and the other has 64-bit software.

The 32-bit software on a 64-bit OS will run in 32-bit mode.

Any 32-bit software will work on a 64-bit OS unless their are other compatability problems such as hardware, or OS version reqirements ie. Win7 Vista XP.

isamuelson

Distinguished
It depends. A lot of games that would run under XP sometimes used installer programs that were still using 16-bit programming, even though the game itself might be 32-bit. Those installers won't work under 64-bit Windows.

The only thing you can do is try, especially if the store is willing to give you your money back even after you've opened the games.

Or, you could try running a virtual machine through VirtualBox or VMWare Player. It requires that you install XP in the virtual machine (doesn't overwrite your Windows 7 installation. It runs inside of it) and try that. You MIGHT even be able to use XP Mode if you have Windows 7 Professional or higher if the games don't use any kind of accelerated 3D graphics.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

After a bit of google, 'School tycoon' seems to have Vista stated in its requirements which means it'll almost certainly work on Win7.

As far as I can tell the others are XP only, which makes it less likely they'll work, but it's still a possibility. My advice would be to do some google searching and hope that you find someone who's tried it for themself.

darja121

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
School Tycoon works with Win 7 64 bit! And also: Pizza Chef, Magic Ball 3, Zoo Tycoon 2, Sims 2 and E.P.'s, Oblivion, Just Cause, Far Cry (but this one with serious graphical issues - water is like one big gray thing), Cultures 2, Cake Mania 2 , Settlers IV (this last two with XP combability turned on). NOT WORKING: Gothic III, Ski Resort Extreme, Stronghold 2 deluxe - strange, because this game is on the list, but on my C.P., don't want to run, Nations ( :pfff: -this one also not working on newer CP with Win XP installed, only on older CP with one core processor). Hope I helped a little.

darja121

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

CAN YOU SHARE WITH US TITLES OF THIS GAMES? I'm especially interested in Hotel Giant 2, Circus Tycoon, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (from ATARI), Broken Sword: The sleeping dragon, Syberia, Syberia II, Beach Life, Mall Tycoon 3, City Life, Caesar III, Caesar IV, The Settlers: Rise ogf the Empire, Rise of Nations Gold edition, Children of the Nile, Hospital Tycoon, Worms world party. As You can see, most of them older games. Please if You know, then tell us! :hello:

darja121

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Now I know by myself: Hotel Giant 2 works but mouse cursor in main menu works with big time and space delay, so I uninstalled this game. Also Beach Life worked only once, then didn't want to run anymore???. Theme Hospital (very old win95 game) won't run (it's 32 bit aplication), and also City Life didn't want to run.

Works: Sim Citx Deluxe Edition, Tomb Raider Legend, Age of Empires (also very old win95 game!!!), Hospital Tycoon, Mall Tycoon 3 (with XP Cpmpability and Run as Administrator turned on).

gamer1322

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

If you go into the online Windows 7 Compatibility Centre, you can put in the titles of the games and it will tell you if it's compatible with your OS.

TRENDING THREADS